Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

No, I'm claiming he did it to try & appease his backbenchers as at the time he had no intention of holding a referendum. The EU's response meant he either had to -

A. Admit that the UK could've restricted EU immigration all along but it was a Tory policy choice to not

B. That there was no 'health tourism' by EU nationals using the NHS as we could claim all costs back from host countries but we didn't as it's Tory policy not to.

Neither were ever going to happen.

Given your proven inability to understand the above this seems apt.

2015 He wins election ,Conservatives had promised a referendum by 2017

20 Feb 2016 he goes to EU for concessions 

After the deal had been approved, Cameron described it as giving the United Kingdom "special status within the European Union" and immediately declared that both he and the UK Government would campaign for a Remain vote in the referendum within a "reformed European Union". The following day, after a special meeting of the cabinet, Cameron announced that the in-out referendum would be held on 23 June 2016 under the provisions of the European Union Referendum Act 2015 which had already been agreed by the UK Parliament.

What backbenches was he trying to appease and to what end? He was trying to get enough to take to the people to win hes argument. 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, David said:

Once Brexit goes through and we can slam shut the doors to the Chinese it'll hopefully keep us out of this coronavirus carry on. 

I have seen a few people on social media say they will no longer have a Chinese Takeaway for fear of getting the Coronavirus has been amazing to see.

4 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

2015 He wins election ,Conservatives had promised a referendum by 2017

20 Feb 2016 he goes to EU for concessions 

After the deal had been approved, Cameron described it as giving the United Kingdom "special status within the European Union" and immediately declared that both he and the UK Government would campaign for a Remain vote in the referendum within a "reformed European Union". The following day, after a special meeting of the cabinet, Cameron announced that the in-out referendum would be held on 23 June 2016 under the provisions of the European Union Referendum Act 2015 which had already been agreed by the UK Parliament.

What backbenches was he trying to appease and to what end? He was trying to get enough to take to the people to win hes argument. 

Regardless, Cameron went in for this believing Remain would win. Which is why he promised to remain PM. This was all about his ego, which is why when Leave won, he left within hours because he knew he had fucked up and wanted no more part of it.

Just now, Porkchopcash said:

I find quite a high percentge of the people who voted remain can be very aggressive towards those who voted leave. And throwing about terms like “racist” and “stupid” does not do their cause any good. Just makes them seem bitter. 

Whats going to improve once we've left, then? 

Brexit can get in the bin.

Do you know what else can get in the bin? “Comedians” making “funny” songs about Brexit. Cunts, every one of them. Twitter is more of a fucking mess than usual today with everyone trying to get themselves over with a bit about Brexit. Shutting the fuck up is completely free still.

4 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Whats going to improve once we've left, then? 

I don’t know, just like the people who voted remain have no idea how things will turn out. I just find the remain voters to look very much down on the people who voted leave. Tarring them all with the same brush. Fir me personally Brexit should have a positive impact on the line of work im in. However if i stated i voted Brexit on here, i would have the usual suspects calling me racist or thick.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

I don’t know, just like the people who voted remain have no idea how things will turn out. I just find the remain voters to look very much down on the people who voted leave. Tarring them all with the same brush. Fir me personally Brexit should have a positive impact on the line of work im in. However if i stated i voted Brexit on here, i would have the usual suspects calling me racist or thick.

As I mentioned above, that's because we've all seen what happens when the economy goes to shit and people start blaming foreigners/immigrants/ethnic minorities. None of this is theoretical, we've seen it all before, so it's on you (meaning Brexiters and anyone who's blaming immigration) to prove that you're not just saying what they were saying before. So far, nothing the right-wing Brexit lot have said is new. The reason you're getting this reaction is because there are people who remember what happened when this kind of language was left to go unchallenged: a lot of innocent people paid the price because there was no-one standing up for them.

That bit in bold? That's fine. If you stated that from the very beginning, and cited exactly why the EU's been damaging to your livelihood, nobody would be calling you racist or stupid. But there aren't enough of you doing that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

The ERG types & enough to avoid calling a referendum which he never wanted. Once the EU had pointed out that he was essentially complaining about his own policies he was fucked.

You claimed the EU's approach to Cameron is what made you vote leave. What part of the EU asking why the Tories had refused to apply FoM controls or charge host states for NHS costs annoyed the most?

• Paid Members

I think if the result had been more decisive maybe things would have been different. The way people like Farage were saying "if a 52-48 then it's not over" probably stoked some animosity when the result came in. I reckon if it'd been the other way around there'd have been more "that was close, carry on." and hopefully the racism stoked by the likes of the usual media suspects would have continued on as yells into the abyss. 

That's not what happened though. Just got to brace ourselves for what happens I guess.