Top Wrestling Twitter

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It casts a shadow over the final of the 'tBS title tournament now as well. If Jade Cargill wins is it so TK can try and throw it back in Swole's face? Conversely if Ruby walks away with the title it gives people ammo on the other side. It'll also be interesting to see how the roster responds.

Either way he definitely should be hiring somebody to vet his tweets before he sends them out. That isn't the way to respond to those criticisms, especially not with a cheeky plug for your show at the end. What was wrong with "I see your point, we're trying". 

I would have bet the house on a Jade win. Now I’m not sure and as you say, the result is tarnished either way.  As the man who helped destroy racism, has Cody piped up yet?

• Paid Members

Someone born into insane wealth and privilege grows up to be emotionally immature and thin skinned...I'm shocked.

Basically everyone involved in this looks like a fucking idiot. But as the boss the buck only really stops with Tony Khan. He needs to grow the fuck up and not throw a strop every time someone badmouths him. Take a leaf out of Vince's book and ignore every criticism and accusation.

Why can we not just have one promotion where the owner is not such a balloon. 

Fuck it i'm starting my own promotion JBW. 

@PowerButchiis MC.

@Devon Malcolm is producing vignettes etc.

@jazzygeofferz is head if security.

@Kookoocachu is PR and talent relations.

@Astro Hollywood is blog content and media. 

@Supremo is a writer.

@SuperBacon is in charge of sponsers and TV.

No sneezing. 

I was told a couple of weeks ago that if you see something that pisses you off, put your phone in another room and watch/listen something til you've calmed down (I had to do that last night or I would have said something really stupid to someone on here) 

I think Tony needs to take that advice. 

One thing I find funny is that is if twitter was around during the mid 90s, Jim Cormette would be yelling at everyone who criticised him amd SMW. Maybe TK and Corny aren't too dissimilar after all

Edited by Tsurutagun

2 hours ago, Louch said:

I don’t think either side looks good here. Tony didn’t need to defend it with a tweet, never mind one that’s like that, and it seems Swole is taking unwarranted shots as she wasn’t renewed. There’s no one on their roster, or who have been available to be signed and they have passed on, who should have been the black world champion in AEW from what I have seen. But I haven’t watched any shows and considered them whitewashed, and any of the stories they have for women always seem respectful. 

Why does it look bad on her part? If she honestly feels that way, why shouldn't she say it? Reading her full comments, it doesn't strike me as bitter in any way, it's a fair critique. AEW initially marketed itself on diversity, so if you're going to do that, you have to be prepared to be called out when you fail - and you can't really give them a passing grade. I don't see how anyone could dispute, for example, her comments on female wrestlers struggling for airtime. Thunder Rosa is arguably the second biggest female star on the show, and she rarely features. 

As for her comments about Black wrestlers; what she's saying is also true, there isn't much representation at all at the top of the card. Khan gives examples of Black wrestlers who have won recently, but that doesn't mean that they are prominent wrestlers. It's not so much that there have been no Black AEW title champions yet; this also extends to the challengers. As far as I can think, Scorpio Sky is the only non-white wrestler to have ever challenged for the title, and even that was on TV, not on PPV. 

I don't think it's unreasonable for Swole, who works in an industry where non-white wrestlers have historically been (and in some cases, still are) treated as stereotypes, to expect better - and better isn't switching from non-racist portrayals of Black wrestlers, to no representation at all. It was fair comment, and did not merit Khan's response at all. 

• Paid Members

He'd have done better to mention that Scorpio Sky was one half of the first ever AEW tag champions. 

None of what she said looked like she was complaining, and I think she even said they're moving in the right direction? Tony Khan throwing his toys out of the pram then presumably saying "quick, go public with the Sammy/Tay relationship" to try and distract from this shit storm is not the best way of dealing with it either. 

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He'd have done better to mention that Scorpio Sky was one half of the first ever AEW tag champions. 

None of what she said looked like she was complaining, and I think she even said they're moving in the right direction? Tony Khan throwing his toys out of the pram then presumably saying "quick, go public with the Sammy/Tay relationship" to try and distract from this shit storm is not the best way of dealing with it either. 

To be fair, I don't think that last part is associated, if it's related in any way, perhaps Sammy and Tay thought it was a good time to quietly bury news that would have to come out at some point. 

All Khan needed to say was something along the lines of "I'm genuinely sorry that Swole felt this way, here's what we're doing, here's what we've done, diversity is important to us in AEW and we are working hard to improve." 

Or he could have said that he'd reached out personally to Swole to hear out her concerns, while also highlighting that the importance of diversity to the company. 

Or he could have simply said nothing at all. When it comes to shooting yourself in the foot, Tony Khan plays at an Olympic level. If AEW ever goes out of business, it'll almost certainly be because of something horrifically stupid that Khan has said. 

It won't linger - nothing ever does in wrestling - but what a miserable way for AEW to have ended the year at the hands of their owner. Vince and his egg don't look so bad now. Mad bastard at least doesn't feel the need to climb over obstacle courses of his money to tweet his every thought and feeling. 

23 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Why does it look bad on her part? If she honestly feels that way, why shouldn't she say it? Reading her full comments, it doesn't strike me as bitter in any way, it's a fair critique. AEW initially marketed itself on diversity, so if you're going to do that, you have to be prepared to be called out when you fail - and you can't really give them a passing grade. I don't see how anyone could dispute, for example, her comments on female wrestlers struggling for airtime. Thunder Rosa is arguably the second biggest female star on the show, and she rarely features. 

As for her comments about Black wrestlers; what she's saying is also true, there isn't much representation at all at the top of the card. Khan gives examples of Black wrestlers who have won recently, but that doesn't mean that they are prominent wrestlers. It's not so much that there have been no Black AEW title champions yet; this also extends to the challengers. As far as I can think, Scorpio Sky is the only non-white wrestler to have ever challenged for the title, and even that was on TV, not on PPV. 

I don't think it's unreasonable for Swole, who works in an industry where non-white wrestlers have historically been (and in some cases, still are) treated as stereotypes, to expect better - and better isn't switching from non-racist portrayals of Black wrestlers, to no representation at all. It was fair comment, and did not merit Khan's response at all. 

I feel it looks bad as it’s all throwing shit on the way out the door, there’s no mention from her on who she believes should be In those positions. And to mark it up that she left when she wasn’t renewed makes it sound more like she left due to the conditions, making them sound worse then they are. I watch aew every week and I can’t say I ever watched and felt it was an all white show, there’s people of all colours and races across the shows. there’s also a few contradictions in her story as well, and blaming her creative limitations on others. That if you go to your boss with an idea gets you further than sitting and waiting applies to nearly all industries, that ain’t a wresting issue. 

It took 2 years to build hangman to be a legitimate title contender, and he started from a higher position than the young black talent they have on the roster just now. It took wwe 10 years to get Kofi and Big E in those roles, fast tracking people into positions they aren’t ready for will do more harm than good to many careers. When the young black talent is in the ring with top guys, like Moriarty with Punk, they aren’t just squashed or mocked. They are given competitive matches. On the woman’s side, it’s taken time to get enough quality to feature, given the volume of male to female talent, 3 segments across 2 shows a week is about where everyone would expect them to be without the quality dropping. 

Tony Khan should’ve said nothing. There are a lot of things that should be dealt with behind closed doors and this was one of them. He’s the boss and the head Booker and his decisions over whether wrestlers are kept under contract or not don’t need explaining by him to the fans. Hopefully he’ll learn.

23 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

As far as I can think, Scorpio Sky is the only non-white wrestler to have ever challenged for the title, and even that was on TV, not on PPV.

According to Cagematch including Chris Jericho v. Adam Page at All Out 2019 there has been a grand total of 23 AEW World Title Matches with 21 different people involved. Scorpio Sky, Rey Fenix, and Rich Swann would be the people of colour.

Of the 10 PPVs in that time. I'm not sure who would have best slotted in as a title contender? Have Andrade debut earlier for Double of Nothing instead of the triple threat. Maybe Moose during Omega's belt collecter phase, but that's an import and happened on Impact's PPV

1. Chris Jericho v. Adam Page (All Out 2019)
  2. Chris Jericho (c) v. Cody Rhodes (Full Gear 2019)
  3. Chris Jericho (c) v. Jon Moxley (Revolution 2020)
  4. Jon Moxley (c) v. Brodie Lee (Double or Nothing 2020)
  5. Jon Moxley (c) v. MJF (All Out 2020)
  6. Jon Moxley (c) v. Eddie Kingston (Full Gear 2020)
  7. Kenny Omega (c) v. Jon Moxley (Revolution 2021)
  8. Kenny Omega (c) v. PAC v. Orange Cassidy (Double of Nothing 2021)
  9. Kenny Omega (c) v. Christian Cage (All Out 2021)
  10. Kenny Omega (c) v. Adam Page (Full Gear 2021)