Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

That fish looks fantastic. An Italian chippy proprietor once told me the sign of a good piece of battered fish is that you should be able to hold it up at one end and it doesn’t flop/fall to bits. You could lay a brick wall with that thing.

• Paid Members

I'll be in Manchester on Saturday and definitely planning on heading to Wright's to grab lunch (never been, but fairly certain I've seen it before - somewhat old-fashioned-looking place, just over the road/corner from Albert Square and the Town Hall?).  Do I get the impression it gets pretty busy in there on weekends?

32 minutes ago, Big Benny HG said:

I'll be in Manchester on Saturday and definitely planning on heading to Wright's to grab lunch (never been, but fairly certain I've seen it before - somewhat old-fashioned-looking place, just over the road/corner from Albert Square and the Town Hall?).  Do I get the impression it gets pretty busy in there on weekends?

Yep, that's the one! It does get busy but thats probably because there is only a few seats in the place, the weather should be good though so eating outside won't be an issue.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

To think, I was in town today and dined at What A Potato!  

A snide Spud-U-Like in this day and age?  Fucking disgrace.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I know I've been going there for years but it wasn't until about 3 years ago I noticed what it was called.  Don't know if it's always been called that!

I'n sure it's been called that since at least 1999.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He is all pervasive. He gets everywhere. 

Hey, I'm not the sole perpetrator of fish puns on here.

• Awards Moderator
On 6/26/2019 at 8:38 PM, neil said:

I'm drooling at that

Are you still over in the States, Neil? I can’t imagine there are many/any decent places to get a chippy tea over there. This thread must be like hell for you, if so.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Long John Silvers!

Or not.

It's like that shitty "Authentic Fish and Chips" they sell at the Rose and Crown Pub quick service window at Epcot. A poor imitation. Now, those deep fried Snickers at the irish Raglan road in Disney Springs on the other hand....Thats some proper batter

• Moderators

Yeah it's generally awful. I live in the New England area so you can find "fish and chips" but it's more of a restaurant style and generally a poor substitute. Definitely no chippies to be found.

A chippy tea is literally the first meal I have when I fly back.