Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

None of the chippies near where I live are particularly shit hot, so I tend to get chicken & mushroom Pukka Pie, large chips swimming in onion vinegar and salt with a can of Dr Pep. Sometimes curry sauce, sometimes mushy peas. The chips aren't great, so I always look forward to visiting the chippy near my folks when we visit them, as theirs are bloody great.

I never get fish from a chippy, I think it's overrated. I'd pick a battered sausage over a bit of cod.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

See my menu earlier.

I was going to comment that your menu was missing the brown nasty. Love a saveloy - but I've always thought it was an East End thing. 

Edited by Onyx2

king ribs are fucking awesome. They are like the bbq rib burger things you get but deep fried. My locals seem to be crispy on the outside and almost gunge  like between the meat and the batter. Soaked in vinegar and salt. A local thing to me you don't see anywhere else is crabsticks... those seafood stick things battered and deep fried. Usually only 30p odd each so a good accompaniment. 

It's also a chip supper not a chippy tea ;)

Edited by HeavyT

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, HeavyT said:

It's also a chip supper not a chippy tea ;)

Actually in the posh South we call it "fish supper" but I called it "chippy tea" to avoid translation issues 🤓 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've never heard anyone call it a chip supper, ever. Fish supper, yes.

I gave you one pound seventy-five in good faith. Where is my bit of halibut?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

I gave you one pound seventy-five in good faith. Where is my bit of halibut?

I actually did a Google a while back to see if anyone had the good sense to call their chippy Neptune's Pantry. Not a one. #brokenbritain

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I actually did a Google a while back to see if anyone had the good sense to call their chippy Neptune's Pantry. Not a one. #brokenbritain

Hello Amal, how's the kebab business?

...... out the back end of that conversation from "Gas" whenever people at work ask "how are you" I reply "Would you like an honest answer or was it just an English pleasantry?" in my best Rik.

3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Actually in the posh South we call it "fish supper" but I called it "chippy tea" to avoid translation issues 🤓 

As sad is it may be but I always sing thus tune (to my missus or in my head) everytime when I'm gonna go to chip shop for dinner

My mate is from Ipswich and once described a Reubenesque lady as "No stranger to a fish supper", that was the first time I'd heard it called fish supper.

I remember once The Night Touchers were riding out on Red Dead Redemption and Loki said "Got to go now, guys, got to have a bit of supper"  Simultaneous laughter erupted from the rest of us at his poshness.  Tarquin Suppertime was born.

Edited by Keith Houchen
More quinoa, darling?