Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

I have a mate who lives in Machynlleth, they have (or had) the best chip shop in the country a few years ago, it won a bunch of awards and shit. I always pass it but ive never actually been in, next time im up there i'll chow down and report back.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2016-10-05/machynlleth-chippy-named-best-in-wales-in-national-awards/

Edited by Egg Shen

12 hours ago, The Maestro said:

What's considered as a healthy takeaway? I'm all for eating healthy but if you're getting a takeaway you've gotta go balls out and eat dirty.

Well we had a Chinese in the end, and I guess a healthy (ish) one would’ve been a chicken chow mein or something without batter or heavy sauce plus plain rice or noodles. Ended up with curry, chips and sweet and sour though obvs. 

I still crave for the days of Fleur-de-Lys pies to return. In the 80s round here all the chippies sold them, then the inferior (but cheaper) Pukkas started appearing and by the mid 90s they'd taken the monopoly and fleur-De-lys disappeared. They were the far superior pie, the chicken& mushroom particularly. I eat pukkas, but they're not the same.

Another memory of chip shops past was Dandy burgers. As a youth I loved those things, they're just microwavable cheeseburgers but to me at the time they were phenomenal. I developed such a taste for them that my dad found out where the factory was, phoned them and blagged them into believing he had a food van so he could buy cases of them at trade price for me  to microwave at home. The first time he went to get them they even took us on a tour of the factory. That was a good few years.

• Paid Members

Loads of fucking chips, battered jumbo sausage, battered fish - (any, not bothered, it’s all spot on) and a portion of mushy peas.

Fuck loads of salt and vinegar 

I’ll get my pies from Super Pie down the street and my cheese from Mad Barry (sells meat, cheese, trainers out the back of his Morris Ital van). 

He’s been a milk man, window cleaner and an Icey (all the trades). My mates dad once asked him why he stopped being an Icey and he said “I dropped a massive tub of monkeys blood all over the dog, it took 3 days to wash out, i had enough”.

23 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Lots of love the battered sausage on here, i always knew i liked this place! 

The battered sausage is indeed amazing.

I've noticed no one has plumped for a saveloy on here. What's the general concencus then? I enjoy one but it's not my first choice main from a chippy.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

The battered sausage is indeed amazing.

I've noticed no one has plumped for a saveloy on here. What's the general concencus then? I enjoy one but it's not my first choice main from a chippy.

See my menu earlier.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Leicester needs shooting

The way the Pukka pie has managed to become so nationally dominant is a little sad. Especially as they aren't as good as they used to be. The chicken in the chicken and mushroom used to be a lot chunkier. Are there other more regional pies about?

I'll often pop into the chip shop for a single scallop. Some on here are having scallop and chips. Is that not too much potato? Grimsby chippy on Welford Rd used to make their own fishcakes. They had actual flakes of fish in them. Which were infinitely superior to the mashed potato stuffed ones that proliferate now.