Chippy Tea

Onyx2

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Pretty much every time I go past those toilets there's someone shouting or screaming in there so maybe they are shooting one.

I'd rank it as one of the world's worst places, just above Mogadishu but not by much.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Rule One said:

I'd rank it as one of the world's worst places, just above Mogadishu but not by much.

I went in there once (the toilet) in an emergency and I genuinely wished I'd just shit myself instead. I mean, we're all used to the stench of men's toilets but this was like piss smell was being pumped in through vents.

• Paid Members

Decided to do a bit of expansion reading up on the Jewish origins of fish and chips, and I found something very interesting, a TIL, if you weeeel. I'd heard before that in Ireland, people ordering fish and chips ask for a "one and one", although it seems like it might be an old or regional expression, as quite a few of the Irish I've met said they hadn't heard of it. Anyway, there was a bit in the Wiki article that explained it:

In Ireland, the first fish and chips were sold by an Italian immigrant, Giuseppe Cervi, who mistakenly stepped off an North American-bound ship at Queenstown (now Cobh) in County Cork in the 1880s and walked all the way to Dublin. He started by selling fish and chips outside Dublin pubs from a handcart. He then found a permanent spot in Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street). His wife Palma would ask customers "Uno di questa, uno di quella?" This phrase (meaning "one of this, one of that") entered the vernacular in Dublin as "one and one", which is still a way of referring to fish and chips in the city.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Is Manchipster Plaice any good? I don't go in there because of that name but also there's never anyone in there which is never a good sign. Wright's are brilliant though but it's always packed now.

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

They aren't as good as Wrights, but very few are.  I think because MP is really small and tucked away from a street worths of chicken shops it gets overlooked.  I've had a one of two average ones from there but generally they're very good.

I need to pop into MP again. I've only eaten from there once and that was staggering out of Walkabout after an aborted post 20/20 session when I was hideously drunk. Eating cod with your fingers in the street.... a nadir.

As an aside Walkabout was full of lads dressed as wrestlers that night and thanks to saying the wrong thing to Goldust that night I was still finding glitter in my bed weeks later.

Fishcake and jumbo battered sausage with chips is my usual thing. I have 3 regular chippys. It just depends how I'm feeling as to which one I go to. My main one is the more expensive one, but they're the best by far. They also do these terrific burger meal deals I get now and then on nights out. Just add some bacon and cheese on that. Perfection. The others depend, but they're all within 10 minutes of me. So it's all good.

• Paid Members

How about Lou Macari's chippy? Is it much cop?

We have plenty of quality Chip shops in Leicester. Leicester is also responsible for the Pukka pie. Back when they weren't available nationwide. Out of town visitors were always impressed by the Pukka pies. Gipsy Ln chippy is our local one and we've been going there since before I was born. Run by a lovely Cypriot family.  They like their summer holidays and close down the shop for a month. Their return is always anticipated with great zeal.

Has anyone had to suffer the travesty that are new potato chip shop chips? For a few years there was always a period where chip shops around here would put out the dreaded frying new potatoes sign. I believe it had something to do with the potato harvest. Resulting in the right type of potatoes being unavailable available.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BigJag said:

How about Lou Macari's chippy? Is it much cop?

We have plenty of quality Chip shops in Leicester. Leicester is also responsible for the Pukka pie. Back when they weren't available nationwide. Out of town visitors were always impressed by the Pukka pies. Gipsy Ln chippy is our local one and we've been going there since before I was born. Run by a lovely Cypriot family.  They like their summer holidays and close down the shop for a month. Their return is always anticipated with great zeal.

Has anyone had to suffer the travesty that are new potato chip shop chips? For a few years there was always a period where chip shops around here would put out the dreaded frying new potatoes sign. I believe it had something to do with the potato harvest. Resulting in the right type of potatoes being unavailable available.

Went to Lou Macaris many years ago when I worked at Stratford Town Hall.  Not sure about now, but it was fucking terrible then.

We never had new potato season, but when it was that time of year, chips used to go up in price because “chipping potatoes were more expensive”.  Prices didn’t drop again when it finished though, bastards.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:29 PM, Onyx2 said:

Correct... so what is it? And what is a 'cheque' of Irn Bru?

Haven't seen this answered so allow me to oblige. King Rib is a minced pork steak with Chinese 5 spice favouring. Deep fried in batter obviously. 

The glass cheque of Irn Bru refers to the fact you used to be able to return glass bottles and get 20p for them.

My chippy go to if I'm really going for it is a pizza crunch supper (meaning with chips). A pizza crunch is obviously a pizza deep fried in batter. I usually like a hamburger on the side, which as you probably guessed is a burger patty deep fried in batter. That's in Glasgow.

In Edinburgh j avoid chippies unless it's L'Alba Doro as the rest are all shite and offer you salt and sauce instead of salt and vinegar the fucking weirdos.