Let's discuss the idiots on Reality TV

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

Anyone seen 63 Up? I've only seen the first ep, but there was some heartbreaking stuff with Nick, the kid who grew up on a farm in Yorkshire. 

I downloaded every episode back to the one in '64. It's fascinating stuff seeing how they all developed from kids with daft dreams to the people they are now...

• Paid Members

I watched 63 Up over the last couple of nights. It's really still remarkable stuff. Neil's story obviously impacts the most in some ways - seeing this cheerful, lovely kid then being tormented by mental health issues is compelling. However, I liked how he looks at it now - the element of adventure and not looking to do mundane things.

• 3 months later...

The new series of The Circle starts tonight, I believe there were a few viewers on here last time. And also just announced that Richard Madeley will be a contestant but viewers will be choosing his profile/character etc as he won’t be being himself - hopefully some TV gold awaits!

2 minutes ago, burchybabi said:

The new series of The Circle starts tonight, I believe there were a few viewers on here last time. And also just announced that Richard Madeley will be a contestant but viewers will be choosing his profile/character etc as he won’t be being himself - hopefully some TV gold awaits!

What could possibly go wrong

• Paid Members

I was bang into it last time, but I am worried that it won't be able to create the same magic now people will be a bit more savvy. You're never going to get someone like the guy who took everyone at face value again. This Richard Madeley thing doesn't fill me with hope, but I'll give it a chance, absolutely. 

It's a bit weird to say thing about a show based on people potentially castfishing each other, but I found the first series weirdly heartwarming and I was bummed out that the guy who had believed the winner was a woman was initially really fucked off about it. They ended up becoming mates though, so all was well. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

I was bang into it last time, but I am worried that it won't be able to create the same magic now people will be a bit more savvy.

Yep, same here. I don't think I'll be into it much this year... hold on, what's that...

2 hours ago, burchybabi said:

And also just announced that Richard Madeley will be a contestant but viewers will be choosing his profile/character etc

I'm fucking in. 

• Paid Members

I loved the last series of The Circle. At first, I was like “What the hell is this?! Who the fuck are these people?! I hate them all!! I have to Sky+ it...” Looking forward to watching the new series and seeing how they up the ante.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Typical Apprentice opening. The guys are all portrayed as wannabe alpha males, the women are all portrayed as horrible catty bitches. One of them cnofused rhinos for elephants during a safari tour. The pillow salesman comes across as particularly dickish.

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Typical Apprentice opening. The guys are all portrayed as wannabe alpha males, the women are all portrayed as horrible catty bitches. One of them cnofused rhinos for elephants during a safari tour. The pillow salesman comes across as particularly dickish.

One of my best mates used to teach Lewis (PM on last night's task) and described him as an "absolute twat" when telling me about him (this is a couple of week's ago when they found out)..

Any idea that this has some sort of legitimacy is long gone.  I know it' ventures more and more into 'reality TV' with each passing year, but heaven forbid this bunch look the worse lot of candidates yet and several (Thomas the Cockney Delboy character, Lottie the Librarian, the 'million is not enough' womenswear consulatant and that camp 'Ranger Ryan') appear to be there purely for entertainment value.alone.

• Paid Members

Definitely. They have to try and tread that line between compelling television and actual good business person.