Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

When in 1993 was Hogan vs Bret supposed to happen? You'd assume either King Of The Ring or SummerSlam but then where would Yokozuna have fit into their plans then? It seemed like they were always planning to push Yoko as the monster heel. I guess they still could have gone with Stars & Stripes Lex Luger vs Yoko underneath Hogan vs Bret, but I always assumed they only turned Luger because Hogan fucked off.

Luger was such a badly handled turn. Given how little time they had, there weren't even subtle differences in the Narcissist's character over the preceding weeks. 

One week he was looking at himself in the mirror and knocking out jobbers on WWF Superstars, the next he was running out on an aircraft hanger decked out in stars and stripes. Pretty shameless attempt to jump on the patriots' bandwagon really.

When in 1993 was Hogan vs Bret supposed to happen? You'd assume either King Of The Ring or SummerSlam but then where would Yokozuna have fit into their plans then? It seemed like they were always planning to push Yoko as the monster heel. I guess they still could have gone with Stars & Stripes Lex Luger vs Yoko underneath Hogan vs Bret, but I always assumed they only turned Luger because Hogan fucked off.

Summerslam apparently. I think the rumour was that Hogan refused to put Bret over, so plans changed.

So this is slightly odd, but I was watching the legacy of Steve Austin yesterday, and I started thing about wrestlers and shaving. Austin is a tough old Texas lad, but bar his goatee, he is clean shaven (I can't comment on the areas under his attire). Can you imagine him or any other of these bona-fide tough guy superstars shaving their legs in the shower?...

• Moderators

Hogan beating Yoko was great. Bret Hart, at the age of 8, was for people that think dry toast is bursting with flavour. Hulk Hogan, and him actually having a bit of an aura and stuff, coming out saved it for me. WWF didn't get nary a watch from me from 92-97 due to Hart and Michaels. Dishwater dull.

• Paid Members

Hogan beating Yoko was great. Bret Hart, at the age of 8, was for people that think dry toast is bursting with flavour. Hulk Hogan, and him actually having a bit of an aura and stuff, coming out saved it for me. WWF didn't get nary a watch from me from 92-97 due to Hart and Michaels. Dishwater dull.

They're the exact same years I stopped watching - but mainly because WWF moved to SKY Sports and I became a teenager and grew out of the style of product they were presenting at the time. 

• Paid Members

I had a mate who'd video PPVs for me so I could watch them in the week because we didn't have the Sky. I'll always remember for some reason when I watched Summerslam 93 taped off the Sky the sound hadn't turned out for any of the show apart from the opener and the main, so I sat and watched it all in abject silence. I should fire up the network and see what wondrous insights I've missed out on.

Came back to work after lunch to find some of the whatculture videos had loaded themselves up on Youtube. Don't pay masses of attention to them but two recent ones came across very much like a reaction to the UK Title stuff. "New Japan is competition to WWE now" and "Why NXT isn't working" it doesn't help the "Simon" from what culture is an interminable  cunt that makes me what to change my own name.

Due to "long play/short play" differences between my VCR and that of the friend who leant me the tape, I had to watch WrestleMania IX in double speed, including audio.

I wish I could do the same for Raw these days, although it did lead me to mishear the chipmunk commentary and believe for some time that Mr Perfect's backstage attacker was Jumpin' Jim Brunzell.

Came back to work after lunch to find some of the whatculture videos had loaded themselves up on Youtube. Don't pay masses of attention to them but two recent ones came across very much like a reaction to the UK Title stuff. "New Japan is competition to WWE now" and "Why NXT isn't working" it doesn't help the "Simon" from what culture is an interminable  cunt that makes me what to change my own name.

I watched their "What Just Happened" video about the UK tournament and you can smell the bitterness even down to picking up on chants and moaning about it despite similar stuff happening on their shows. No doubt there's going to be even more anti-WWE stuff than normal coming from them now.

I watched their "What Just Happened" video about the UK tournament and you can smell the bitterness even down to picking up on chants and moaning about it despite similar stuff happening on their shows. No doubt there's going to be even more anti-WWE stuff than normal coming from them now.

It's interesting isn't it? Do you think they've possibly fucked themselves as promoters? If WWE continue to sign up all the UK talent and seemingly let them continue to work the other indies Progress, ICW, Rev Pro who have all been smart enough to work with them. What's going to be left for What Culture? Just bringing in a bunch of imports all the time. Doesn't seem to work as a model over here.

Also the Angle announcement could possibly leave the main event of their Milton Keynes show in doubt, possibly?

• Paid Members

Due to "long play/short play" differences between my VCR and that of the friend who leant me the tape, I had to watch WrestleMania IX in double speed, including audio.

I feel your pain. I often felt I was the only kid at school without a long play VCR. Had a similar experience with Survior Series 92.