Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator

I watch 205 and NXT each week, plus all the Takeovers and most of the new PPVs (I haven't watched a Raw PPV in full since the brand split and if I'm busy in the days following a PPV I probably won't bother - didn't see Summerslam this year for that reason). I'll also watch classic content as and when I fancy it - there'll be weeks where I don't watch anything, and then weeks where I'll blast through four or five classic shows or dip into a match I want to see again. It's value for money for me and I'm happy to keep it.

Yeah I'm more than happy with the in-ring and stuff like Talking Smack to go along with it. It's also become a bit of a tradition to check out past PPVs, particularly when there's a big 4 coming up. If WWE doesn't get me excited for the Rumble, I shall do it myself. It also doesn't hurt that the PPV product is pretty great lately and you could argue they didn't have a shiter in all of 2016

I've not watched many TV episodes, mainly just skip to certain moments I hear about, but I may end up binging on half a year like '98 on some rainy day. Maybe the ol' '96-'98 transition where I never got to see the gradual change in style first hand

I've got rid of the Network. I can't justify it anymore. Wrestling right now is shit. I don't watch new stuff. "Kevin Owens" could walk past me in the street and I wouldn't have a clue who he was. Watched most of the old WCW PPVs I want to watch. What's the point? Is anybody else getting there?

I cancelled it last month to get progress instead. Got it back to watch the tournament at weekend but now set to cancel after the month again.

• Paid Members

Sometimes I'll dip into the oild NWA Worldwide wrestling stuff from the 80s they've got on there. If they started uploading the early 90s WCW stuff I'd be all over that.

• Paid Members

Being a "name" pro wrestler outside WWE these days must be a fucking weird existence.

Just seen on Twitter that Kenny Omega is working for 4FW in Swindon this weekend. No disrespect intended to 4FW (a company about which I know very little) but it must be very odd to go from main eventing the biggest show of the year in the 2nd biggest company in the world in a immense dome stadium to working a smallish hall in Swindon a couple of weeks later.

Likewise, Cody Rhodes was on that show, then at a smallish WCPW event about 48 hours removed.

It must just be an odd swing in working environment the likes of which most of us will never experience.

• Paid Members

Omega actually worked that venue for 4FW last January, against Mark Haskins, and has been drafted in as a last minute replacement for Cody who is attending a funeral in the US now.

• Paid Members

The improvement in Neville's promo work is astonishing. Since returning as a heel he's genuinely been really good, whereas everything I'd ever seen from him previous to this had been absolutely awful. Something has clicked for him. He'd be great as a long reigning heel champion playing up this 'King of the Cruiserweights' character.

Edited by Arch Stanton

• Paid Members

a first of its kind 64-man tournament.

IPW:UK did it 10 years ago with the British National Championship: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Championship

(Although Wikipedia says 64 competitors were announced, but only 54 participated).

Edited by Your Fight Site

Been rewatching royal rumbles as is custom this time of the year..Watched 2007 last night and that last few moments are done so well...but the fact they kick off 2008 with the same two guys that ended the year before is just bloody brilliance.

• Awards Moderator

Every so often my girlfriend and I look through the WWE roster page on the WWE iPad app, and she judges them entirely on their outfit or look. I find it quite entertaining. Here are some selections from her thoughts this time round:

On Cesaro - "he looks very smart. I hope his suit doesn't get ripped when he wrestles."

On finding out Cesaro rips off his suit during his entrance - "No! I'm done with him now."

On American Alpha - "I almost bought a phone case that looked like that" (the cosmic looking singlets they're wearing on the page).

On Chris Jericho - "WHY is he wearing a scarf and nothing else? He's the most ridiculous one out of all of them. His opponent could choke him with it."

On Dolph Ziggler - "I like the stormtrooper boots. The one next to him [Drew Gulak] can't compete."

On Epico - "why does he have 'Spicy' written across his crotch?"

On being told it says 'Epico' - "that's still stupid."

On the masked guys - there was an appreciation for the effort Kalisto and Sin Cara have put into their costumes. Lince Dorado needs to lose the teeth, and Gran Metalik has taken it too far.

On Jack Gallagher - "he looks like an Edwardian gentleman". (She was delighted to find out that that's basically his character, he's now a favourite, and her only suggestion is he gets red and white striped trunks to complete the look).

On James Ellsworth - "He looks creepy. I wouldn't like to meet him."

On Jerry Lawler - "real kings don't need to have their crowns with them all the time. Charles I never wore his crown... but I suppose it didn't end well for him."

On Kevin Owens - "now this one's put no effort in at all. He looks like someone they just roped in off the street at the last minute."

On Mark Henry - "Mark Henry is badass."

On The Miz - "he looks chic. He's got style."

On Mojo Rawley - "No, Mojo."

On Neville - "he looks like an angry Richard Armitage from The Hobbit."

On Noam Dar - "Noam Dar is sassy."

On Rich Swann - "why is he wearing bin bags?"

On Rusev - "how well built is he?! Those shoulders!"

On Simon Gotch - "he dresses like the people in that leather daddy shop Tobias goes to in Arrested Development. Good moustache, though."

On TJ Perkins - "he looks weedy."

On Tozawa - "YES, Tozawa. Love the Spider-Man patterns on his arms and legs."

On Tyler Bate (who is on the Current Superstars page!) - "I have pants like those."

And finally, on the Undertaker - "Yes! The Undertaker gets it. He could be on Game Of Thrones looking like that."

So there we go. From a total non fan's perspective, we need more Menrys and Miz, and less Kevin Owens and TJPs.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator