Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

48 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Someone uploaded the reaction in a pub of Kieron Trippier's freekick against Croatia with the Tokyo Dome main event finish spliced and Dave thought it was real.

DwLqtH6XgAAhi_Z.jpg

It wasn't even the finish, it was Okada revealing that he was back to wearing short trunks. 😂

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Weezenal said:

When RAW/Nitro were on at the same time in the US, were either of them repeated?

13 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I think Nitro used to have a repeat on straight afterwards

After Raw moved to the later timeslot, it got beat by the Nitro replay at least once.

• Paid Members

Ordered a whole heap of Blu-Rays from the lovely lads at IVP videos last month; all stuff that I really want to explore whilst I have the chance. I never really experienced the likes of NOAH or All-Japan in their prime, and I wanted to deep dive into that late 80's - mid 00's period, along with some lovely doses of Michinoku Pro and BJW. I might as well throw my thoughts in here as I slowly work my through the sets.

For starters, I watched the first three matches from this bad boy last night before hitting the hay;

49619243_291983594998571_7142771406294482944_n.jpg.27fd750ddef52735589f269ac4153c76.jpg

Here's the match listing and whatnot in case you fancy it yourself. These are a throwback to the days of tape trading, in that they're burnt Blu-Rays duplicated from another source. It's all plain white disks on the inside, inside paper slip cases, and a standard match listing on the back cover, but I ordered during a Black Friday sale so I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth. But artwork and pretty disks aren't IVP's main focus, as they primarily offer downloads and straight-up disks so you pay a little extra for the artwork and casing. The shipping wasn't too bad either and worked out rather well along with the four other sets I purchased as a Christmas treat to myself. 

I'm really into preserving media that isn't readily available in collections elsewhere (especially lovely looking compilations) and I'm not going to be jumping through DailyMotion accounts if I fancy a bit of Kobashi in his prime. I'm a man of convenience. Also, the sets do look rather smashing in my small collection, which mainly consists of the PWG comps, the ROH 'Year In Reviews' and some choice WWE sets of my faves.

Anyway, the three matches;

Vader vs Inoki 04/01/96

This was my first time seeing Inoki in action. I've heard his name bounced around before by historians and those with obviously bigger dicks than myself, but I totally get why the man was so beloved. 

The look. The entrance. The aura. Fucking hell, THE MUSIC;

That is what they call, "The goods". Proper fucking nice that. How do you not get behind this man as he measurably walks down to the ring? He's a hero and I've known him 45 seconds. Even Vader holds open the ropes for him. Just as an aside, it's also the first time I've seen Vader outside of WWF and WCW.

The match is bloody fantastic. This is a couple weeks short of Vader's WWF debut at the Rumble and he looks massive. The story is simple; Inoki can't put Vader down. Vader is rough and ready for Inoki and fucking batters him. A big German suplex by Vader is the first sign that Inoki might be fucked.

2_NBfA6MoBD5QhFaPyISThzm_Hzk3cNLH96Jp3Ww

It's only when Inoki decides to let his anger out by slamming Vader's face with a chair and busting him open does it look like he has a chance. He avoids a Vader Sault, locks in an armbar and Vader taps. The crowd is molten throughout too, which helps the match massively.

After the match, they shake and embrace in a sign of respect. This is January 1996 and I don't see anyone complaining about these two hard bastards hugging it out.

I also came to learn that Inoki was 51 during that. Fucking 51.

Kawada vs. Misawa 5/1/98

My first time seeing a Kawada match and my second time seeing Misawa (the first was THAT 2003 GHC title match against Kobashi).

As a first real introduction to both these men, I couldn't ask for anything better. Clear story, hot crowd, two guys who you can just tell by their movements that they have a storied history together. Too much to even talk about without sounding like I'm writing a report for 411mania, Inside Pulse or Furious Rage.

There's a great image where Kawada has Misawa locked in the dreaded figure four, and he's gurning like an absolute mad man. Cracking camera work.

51aj70.jpg

Would love to hear Kawada call for a suplex. Not that he has to, you probably don't have a choice in the matter.

The finish is great too. Kawada just just melts Misawa with move after move but Misawa continues to get a shoulder up. It's at this point where, in today's modern set up, Misawa would reverse the next up-coming attack and start his own combo of moves. But no, Kawada just kicks him in the face a bunch (GAMENGIRI!!!~!!) and that's it. Murder she wrote, Kawada wins with a three count fall. Really refreshing to see matches end that way but I suppose that was the norm back then. Lovely stuff.

Hashimoto & Iizuka vs. Ogawa & Murakami 04/01/00

Peculiar one, this. I've never seen any of these lads before (at least so I thought). I'd heard of Hashimoto in the same way I had heard of Inoki. I wasn't buying into him straight away but everyone is reacting to him like he's bad ass. He probably is, as he throws some mean kicks and gets stuck right in.

The whole match didn't really totally connect on a story level as all I could make from the skirmish was three UFC lads and this round bloke having a fight. It looks stiff and legit so I assumed they're UWF-I  guys. They're laying into each other and the match stops as lizuka seems to be legit knocked out by Murakami. There's chaos as cornermen fill the ring and then in comes fucking Inoki to settle things and restart the match. Yeah, listen to that man and his giant, demanding chin.

It ends after more brawling as Iizuka chokes out Murakami in great bit of storytelling as Muru had been on him the whole time like a fly to shit. The match ends but Hashi and Ogawa still want to duke it out. 

It's chaos, the whole lot, and I didn't really know the whole story but it was highly enjoyable never the less. I love the UWF-I style so I eventually got along with this grand despite not knowing the whos, whats and wheres.

After a bit of research afterwards, turns out that Hash and Ogg have some history, dating back to when Ogawa legit threw down shoot attacks on Hashimoto during a match. Apparently Inoki set him up to it in order to increase his popularity but the rabbit hole goes deep on that one and no one can draw a definitive line on where the shoot ends and the work begins (BROTHER much love HH).

During that controversy, the ring crew got involved (as mirrored in the tag match) and Iuzuka hospitalized Murakami with an attack. Hence, why we have the big tag match and all the chaos and the two sets of guys zoning in on each other.

OUT. STANDING. I wish I knew that going into this match. What a great build. If anybody can lead me to more reading based on that whole fracas and everything around it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, remember me saying I thought I hadn't seen any of these guys before? Well, Iuzuka turns out to be this splendid chap;

220px-Takashi_Iizuka_2017.jpg

So aye, I'm right happy with the set so far. History is fun.

Edited by Accident Prone
Spelling and shite.

Watching the documentary onthe AWA, its hard to have sympathy on the Gagnes. Even Hogans t-shirt in one of his last matches there said it’s the belt now or never. Verne seemed like a greedy old bully, like alot of the old timers.

On another note, Vince didnt really create anyone with his initial run to take over the business in 83/4/5 did he? He just gave them the platform and a bit more cash to perform. It wasnt until late 86 early 87 the gimmicks took over.  A lot of these old promoters got what they deserved. Vince did give the angles though and i guess that’s what is important.