Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

I was channel hopping the other day and say Kane and Sting fist bumping with game controllers in their other hand or whatever it was they did. Thought it was odd, I’d never seen it before, let alone know how old the ad was. 

Still not buying the game though. 

• Paid Members

Saw a copy of PWI in WH Smith today. Genuinely didn't know it was still going. I would have bought it for shits and giggles but it was £5.50!!

Also realised it's 20 years today since Nash went over Goldberg at Starrcade. The beginning of the end for WCW. Of all the stupid things they did, that was the most harmful. Goldberg had to lose sometime but they did it before they'd got any mileage out of his title run, long before he'd run out of steam (despite the Nash lies) and to put over a guy who wasn't the future for an angle that was also shit and was also meaningless within 2 months. So WCW.

• Paid Members

The better money in Goldberg was the chase IMO.

Nash beating him in a screwy finish would be fine if it had 6 months of Goldberg plowing through nobody's and never were like stevie Ray on Nitros while Nash escapes backstage and then bigger names Nash puts in his way on PPV like Hall or who people offer to put bill down to get a favour of a shot from Nash like hogan. Then Goldberg gets the belt back in the summer of 99 and ties up the overrun NWO bit too. 

The issue wasn't the loss, it's the follow up that sees a hogan flair double turn and Nash and Goldberg pals by spring after he's been farting about doing fuck all. 

• Paid Members

Six months later, maybe. But to say the money was in the chase when every single metric specific to Goldberg says otherwise is wrong. Goldberg had been champion for five months and headlined one PPV. You had a list of challengers as long as your arm that he hadn't worked with yet. There was tens of millions on the table if Goldberg beats Nash and you line up Flair, Sting, Luger, Bret, etc throughout 1999.

They definitely could have staved off the decline by not doing the stupid shit Tommy mentions but having an unbeaten, seemingly unbeatable World Champion was once in a lifetime stuff. He was mainstream, he was doing mega numbers with no marks every week, he was the man. The timing is horrendous. Whatever the follow up, they had lightening in a bottle and they threw the bottle away. You don't get two chances at this stuff.

Months and months down the line when you've exhausted your challengers, then you fuck over Goldberg and have him chase into the next Starrcade. Wrestling 101.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

There was tens of millions on the table if Goldberg beats Nash and you line up Flair, Sting, Luger, Bret, etc throughout 1999.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

But to say the money was in the chase when every single metric specific to Goldberg says otherwise is wrong.

I don't doubt it, but given his limitations how long before he begins to be exposed? He needed to storm through people or work within his style, that's better and easier as the chser than the champ for me.

After winning the belt he had one meaningful match on ppv before Nash, which got cut off ppv. He was used awfully before dropping the belt generally. IIRC one of the few times they did build a nitro match of his it was a big rating, but it was Meng he could plow though on free TV. 

Goldberg Vs Bret would have been amazing, but I can't think many others could have made the extended squash work without exposing him and stealing his shine. 

That said I would have liked him to go on for longer before a loss and be used more on TV as champ, so I don't disagree with your point on that, I was more arguing against the below:

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Of all the stupid things they did, that (him loosing) was the most harmful.

It wasn't the most harmful thing they did to have him loose, it could have been great and moved people on from the nwo perpetual churn which was well past its best by 99, the follow up to that loss was what was really reprehensible for me. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

That said I would have liked him to go on for longer before a loss and be used more on TV as champ, so I don't disagree with your point on that, I was more arguing against the below:

It wasn't the most harmful thing they did to have him loose, it could have been great and moved people on from the nwo perpetual churn which was well past its best by 99, the follow up to that loss was what was really reprehensible for me. 

Everything else is a knock on from that idea IMO. It could never be what you say because they were never going to give it that chance. They were always going to beat Goldberg, go back to Hogan, reform the nWo, regress two years and watch the WWF piss on them from a great height.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Fair enough.

As sad as it is to say by that logic that was always going to happen the moment they fucked Sting at Starrcade 97 though. 

That would be the case if it wasn't for Big Bad Bill. He was their get out of jail card. They didn't deserve that amount of luck. In fairness, they fucked everyone. Lugar was mega over when he beat Hogan in '97. Meaningless months later.