Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

23 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Saw a copy of PWI in WH Smith today. Genuinely didn't know it was still going. I would have bought it for shits and giggles but it was £5.50!!

Also realised it's 20 years today since Nash went over Goldberg at Starrcade. 

I think next month’s PWI will have the results from it, plus three colour photos.

• Paid Members

Goldberg was basically a gift from the heavens. Its amazing they got until December without fucking him up. You can look at it two ways - they fucked it all up in 1999 or they were lucky to get to 1999 without the falls falling in. I cant blame WCW's collapse on one incident, because that company was a fucking mess.

For me they should have beat Goldberg, but you needed to have a new monster to beat him. So you'd have your Goldberg vs even bigger Goldberg angle which you could have built to in 99. Someone like early 90s Big Van Vader (not 98 Vader obviously.) Imagine if you had 98 Goldberg vs someone like prime Vader?

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

They made the right call at Starrcade, as the crowd reaction attests. No amount of revisionism can downplay how super-over Nash was, and had been all year, even as a heel. He deserved a solo main event run. And for all the talk of killing Goldberg's drawing power and denying Nash's it shouldn't be forgotten that Souled Out, sold largely on the Nash/Giant feud did a much bigger buyrate than Goldberg/DDP (and Hogan/Warrior) on a more major brand PPV.

A Nash title run had more interesting possibilities than Goldberg continuing on. Nash/Hogan had been building brilliantly for ages and should have been done properly, the Hall aspect could have been stretched out into a great angle, did Kev know he was going to turn up at Starrcade? Is he even on his side? etc. Matches with Bret Hart, who he'd never beat, Sting, DDP had more mileage than seeing which guy below Nash in the pecking order was "next".

It was the follow-up that fucked everything up.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

And for all the talk of killing Goldberg's drawing power and denying Nash's it shouldn't be forgotten that Souled Out, sold largely on the Nash/Giant feud did a much bigger buyrate than Goldberg/DDP (and Hogan/Warrior) on a more major brand PPV.

I'd put that more down to Souled Out coming off the back of Starrcade and interest in the product being at a peak, and Halloween Havoc coming after several months of Nitro being a chore to sit through, than the drawing power of any particular match.

Catching up with WWE and there was a few gems during the Christmas tapings. I absolutely love The Revival. It’s easy to forget how great they are but they always deliver and get over in the ring when they’re given something with a bit of meat to it. The match with the Glorious ones was more of a set up to a series than the final form but it was wonderful. The Revival always find ways to put a fresh spin old school spots and ideas. I’m a sucker for 80s southern style tags and they feel like a legit update on the style that works perfectly for the 2018 audience. Looking forward to seeing this match again although I’m sure I’ll be sick of it after fifteen weeks straight.

Rousey vs Natalya was AWESOME. I don’t know why I keep being caught by surprise by the quality of Ronda’s work, it’s a given at this point. She’s a prodigy. She’s a better rookie than Angle was, easily. As fun as he was he was liable to do stupid shit, everything  Rousey does in ring makes sense. The way she struggles in holds, sells her arse off and gives the fire at all the right beats. Some of the transitions and counters on the mat were a joy to watch. She’s completely unique to the roster, like early RINGS + Shinobu Kandori + WWE main event style, or something. With her and guys like Riddle, Lorcan, Dunne, O’ Reilly and current Daniel Bryan, the future looks bright for a mat work geek like me. I hope it’s a direction they continue to go in, it doesn’t have to be about sitting in chinlocks. Credit to Natalya too, it’s probably the sharpest she’s ever looked and few others in the division could have called this match on the fly. 

Talking of sharp, Nakamura  decided to turn up for his title loss to Rusev, where has this guy been? It’s so frustrating. Honestly, I thought it was the best match he’s had on the main roster. It’s good to see more of Rusev’s personality come out as well.

• Paid Members

Never knew that the intro to SummerSlam 89 featured Stephanie in Vince's pool, Shane playing basketball, Vince's seretary Emily Feinberg in a convertable and Kevin Dunn playing golf. Its so obvious its them as well, but never connected it. And I've seen that show more than any event ever. Wonder if there's more like that over the years.

5 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Never knew that the intro to SummerSlam 89 featured Stephanie in Vince's pool, Shane playing basketball, Vince's seretary Emily Feinberg in a convertable and Kevin Dunn playing golf. Its so obvious its them as well, but never connected it. And I've seen that show more than any event ever. Wonder if there's more like that over the years.

Cue the pervs looking to see what Steph looked like then (p.s is the girl on the beach another of vince's offspring? lol)

It's Shane jumping into the pool with Steph as well, isn't it? Could I suggest it's Bucky Beaver on the mountain bike as well?

Doesn't really look like Emily Feinberg in the convertible, though, hair seems too short. Could she be the girl in the bright yellow bikini who lifts her sunglasses up on the beach? I had mates who would swear blind that was Elizabeth, when it clearly wasn't.