Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I remember being excited that Wrestlemania was a four hour show, to set it apart from the usual three hour events. Honestly though, I’d give anything for a three hour Wrestlemania now. How long was last year’s including the pre-show? Something mental like six and a half hours?! Who could possibly watch that it one sitting?!  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I'll never forget the horror in my friends voice as we sat down to watch last years show and he saw the time code

"well, it can't possibly be as long as last ye, OH GOD!!!"

😂 One benefit of watching live is that you don't quite know just how long a show you have gotten yourself in for. Having said that, you also can't skip past the possible Kid Rock medley that we may have coming our way, so there's good and bad points to both. . .

Edited by WeeAl

I'm going to be on my honeymoon this year around Europe so I'm not sure if I will get to watch it live or even next day as I've done since about mania 23 now without a gap I believe.  Might try to save it for the flight home but that's 10 days later. Not sure I can stay spoiler free that long even on holiday

• Paid Members

Watching the tag match on 205 Live and getting distracted by the camera cuts. I thought I must be imagining how bad it was, so did a count. They switched angles 34 times in one minute. Utterly ridiculous.

There's no sense of human POV anymore in the camera work. Hard cam = you're in the crowd at the event. Ringside cam = you're trying to get close but not get hit, and you JUST MIGHT see or hear something the ref doesn't.

Ditch the itchy trigger finger but bring back WCW corner cam.

On 17/03/2018 at 2:37 PM, JNLister said:

Watching the tag match on 205 Live and getting distracted by the camera cuts. I thought I must be imagining how bad it was, so did a count. They switched angles 34 times in one minute. Utterly ridiculous.

If the rumours of Kevin Dunn hating Triple H are true, I can't help but wonder if he's overegging it on 205 Live to mess with that specifically.

That said, they really overdo the angle switches these days on every show, so who knows. 

Ive  come to the conclusion that Macho Man probably is the GOAT, if you look at the fueds, the matches, the selling, his look. He even had a really decent believable fued with Crush. Made DDP. The Steamboat fued and match. The Jake angle, Tuesday in Texas, Flair, Hulkster, Beefcake, Duggan......what a man. Him and Sherri are to me the greatest male/female dynamic ever, as theyre both of their nuts. Thats not to mention, Dibiase or Dusty....his early Lawler stuff is great to.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Fell down a bit of a Kendo Nagasaki rabbit hole following the announcement of his autobiography, and discovered his name listed on a few RJPW shows. I enjoyed the few RJPW shows I'd seen - a bonkers mix of shoot-style, old legends well past their prime, and bonkers gimmicks. I particularly loved the Original Tiger Mask vs. Atsushi Onita feud they did there a few years back.

Seeing the name, I'd assumed it was the Japanese version - but the thing that made me look into it was that his opponent was listed as Sammy Lee Jr. It wasn't a name I'd come across before, though obviously recognised that Sammy Lee was Sayama's old ring name - RJPW was/is Sayama's promotion, and he had handed down other past gimmick names to other wrestlers there in the past; Tiger Mask V, Super Tiger 2, and so on, but Sammy Lee Jr was a new one on me.

Googling that one for more information, it turns out that Sammy Lee Jr was Kota Ibushi. Not only that, but the Kendo Nagasaki he fought wasn't the Japanese guy, it actually seems to have been Peter Thornley. The match was in 2008, so seems to be in line with Kendo's comeback in LDN, but I'm amazed all of this had passed me by. The Nagasaki name also pops up on a handful of RJPW shows into 2015, including matches either against or teaming with Gran Hamada, Ultimo Dragon, Great Sasuke.

Anyone know anything about this? It sounds completely implausible to me that, outside of maybe the 2008 match, Kendo Nagasaki was wrestling in Japan, but I've read recaps/reviews of at least one RJPW show he appeared on that claims it was the British Kendo. I wouldn't put it past Sayama to have just stuck someone else under the mask, but has anyone seen any footage or photos of these shows?

If it was him, is there a more bonkers "I never would have thought that could possibly have happened anywhere" match than Kendo Nagasaki vs. Kota Ibushi?!

EDIT: Wikipedia is saying that the RJPW version is Kendo Nagazaki, and likely a Sayama trainee - which is certainly more plausible! Still seems to be absolutely no information anywhere, though, and I'm still curious about that Sammy Lee Jr match - and the insistence in recaps elsewhere that it's the British original. Surely you'd be able to tell watching a show whether the bloke you're watching is an unknown trainee or a bloke in his mid-60s?

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Whoever he is, he's got to be less of a prick than Thornley. Kendo was my one of my favourites growing up, so was thrilled to finally meet him at one of John Chapman's AWA:UK events in Ware back in the day, and he was just a complete dick, beyond playing the gimmick. "Never meet your heroes" was definitely true in his case.

Hadn't anyone clued you in before that show?  That he doesn't talk to anyone, etc.  I'm surprised you didn't know what to expect!

I had the absolute pleasure of working on I think 6 shows he was on, including the one in Ware you mentioned.  Such a unique individual.

Edited by The Dart