Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I had two of the same Edge figure. It was a weird one with black trousers and a purple vest. I was a huge CZW mark back then, so I painted an 'S' one of them with white tippex and colored it red with a felt tip when it dried. I know had Edge and his tag partner, Chris Hero!

Also, may as well bring this embarrassing fact up for discussion; I was about 15 when I stopped playing with wrestling figures. Way too fucking old, obviously. I didn't stop by choice either as I had a immense indy wank promotion going (William Regal was AJ Styles, Steve Austin w/ jeans was Nick Gage, Triple H w/ silver tights was Trent Acid ect) but my friends kept calling round unexpectedly and I came very close to them walking in me mid-way through a Jonny Storm vs M-Dogg 20 ladder match. I gave them all to my little brother in the end but I look forward to the very near future when I have kids so I can buy a joblot of figures under the guise of "They're for the kids, love!".

• Paid Members

Too right. The fact that ive got a little girl who has no interest and has in particular said ‘wrestling is rubbish’ hurts me no end.

But then - nephew gets to 6 and decides Shinsuke Nakamura is the daddy so off I trot to Toys R Us and I’m the hero uncle.

Childhood. It’s amazing. Now I’m just some fat old wrestling fan. *sigh*

Edited by marc2j

Thats what I love about being an uncle, my 6 year old nephew got into wrestling through me so gives me an excuse to stroll round the wrestling sections in toy shops. Hell yesterday I was at Liverpool Comic Con, predominantly cos Edge was there signing (super nice guy btw!) and spent much of my time hunting out for any wrestling figures that he might not have (which isn't an easy feat). Picked up a Mr Perfect figure loose from the Basics line which, to my delight when I gave him it this afternoon, he didn't have. This led to me showing him videos of the Perfect Plex so he could then do the move on his other figures

Anyone who'd played Streets of Rage with a mate wouldn't need an explanation for two Ultimate Warriors.

I had both Hasbro Sid Justice and Galoob Sid Vicious, so the latter became Diesel/Nash while Barry Windham became Razor/Hall.

These were the days of luxury, when the problem was having too many of the same figure. Before I even got my first Hasbros, He-Man was Hulk Hogan while Hordak played The Undertaker, battling it out in one of those collapsible storage crates.

• Paid Members

My 'ring' of choice was the top of my mums tumble dryer, which was inexplicably placed in my sodding bedroom. The washing basket acted as my Hell in a Cell a good many times. 

EDIT: Which now I think of it, looked exactly like the TNA steel cage of weirdness from their live Monday show.

Edited by marc2j

18 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Our toy ring had ropes made out of used dental floss

Did it come with a Braun Strowman figure?

• Paid Members

What did everyone use for casket matches? Empty shoeboxes for me, all day long. You could even colour them in and stick pictures on them similar to how Taker used to have different designs depending on the opponent. Nintendo saw this when I was a kid and became inspired to come up with Labo, I reckon.

Until I got the WCW ring, an up-turned washing basket was excellent for cage matches. I stopped playing with the figures by the time HBK and Razor popularised the ladder match, although my friend reckons he broke his old blue WWF ring by putting an actual full-sized ladder in the middle of it.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

String? You were lucky! Our toy ring had ropes made out of used dental floss, and we were glad for it!

You don't know you're born. When I were a lad and wanted wrestling-related fun, I had to chew on broken glass and set myself on fire before throwing myself through a table - and that was my breakfast, too.

19 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What did everyone use for casket matches?

Lego, obviously. With wheels and a hinged lid.

Look, if you're going to go to the bother of making a clay briefcase for IRS, you're not going to half-arse it with the Deadman.

The foil from mince pies made excellent weapons. Good sound, collapsed to the shape of the body and caused no damage. Bit of silver glitter could be good thumb tacks too, if the figure was damp it would be all stuck in their back. Unfortunately those type of matches could escalate to the point of setting the figures on fire or throwing red ink everywhere.

I remember when I got home from school one day and my evil step mother had given all of my toys to a kid with cerebral palsy down the road. Couldn’t exactly go and ask for them back