Jump to content

Random Thoughts III.


PowerButchi

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hogan must have been 6”6 in his day, Hunter 6”4 maybe. People shrink when they get older. I’m actually watching an ep  of wrestling from 1980, blassie managing hogan in a handicap match, he looks huge. Best thing about the program is Bruno in the booth with a ridiculous wig in him. A big blow dryed curly perm thing. Classic.

  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Posted

I was watching Rocky III today, and he's fucking enormous. Sure, Sly might not be that tall and Hulk no doubt had big lifts, plus a bit of well orchestrated camera work, but he was still a right hoss. Like most people, he's shrunk in his advancing years.

Posted

They invested $5m in it. It didn't die though, the company shifted gears and they now provide video solutions for many of the major news/magazine websites, they apparently have the third largest online audience now behind Facebook and Youtube.

  • Paid Members
Posted
7 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Remember when WWE pushed the fuck out of "Tout"? What on earth was that about?

It was Vine before Twitter took the idea and made it into Vine, then closed it a few years later. The idea wasn't bad, but the execution certainly was.

  • Paid Members
Posted

John Cena is really great in his new film “Blockers.” Stealing the show throughout, he’s already nailed his goofy, hammy comedy niche.

I’m gonna miss John when he’s gone for good.

Posted

I get the feeling lots of people who aren’t even expecting to miss him will as well. I think history will judge Cena far more kindly than the current gang of welps who go to the live shows.

  • Paid Members
Posted
14 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I get the feeling lots of people who aren’t even expecting to miss him will as well. I think history will judge Cena far more kindly than the current gang of welps who go to the live shows.

iwc-cena-before-after.png

Posted

I think even the people that boo have a genuine love for Big Match John now. It's just become part of the act really. After the Reigns match there was a pretty clear "Thank you Cena" chant. So I think when he does go he'll get a pretty amazing ovation.

Posted

Just watched the Raw after the Survivor Series 98. The debut of the Corporate Rock and the main event title match between him and Austin.

Absolutely electric. Damn I miss those days. The build to the Rock's title win and heel turn was an absolute master stroke in story telling.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 29/03/2018 at 6:50 PM, KingofSports said:

Thornley trained in Japan mid-late 60s. I remember doing some research a few years back, but whilst there is footage available from around that period, primarily JWA, I couldn't find any of his matches on tape. I think he worked in Mexico for a while as well - I could be mistaken. The only Kendo Nagasaki I've seen or heard referenced over there is Sakurada. Last thing I heard about Sayama was that he's training a new Tiger Mask, presumably an unknown. I have footage of what I believe may have been the only time where there were 4 genuine Tiger Masks in the ring at the same time. Oddly enough that was from a WKA show (World Karate Association).

Thornley definitely worked Japan - he was "Mr Guillotine" over there. I've not heard anything of him working Mexico, though. He did some work for Stampede, and a few other North American territories, though doubt he ever made much of an impression - over the years, people close to him had claimed that he had matches with the likes of Lou Thesz in the States, but that seems really unlikely, and I've never seen any evidence.

Sayama runs, and occasionally wrestles for,  RJPW (Real Japan Pro Wrestling), and has a few trainees there, including his new Tiger Mask - he also has Tiger Shark, Super Tiger 2, and this Kendo Nagazaki, who's clearly a nod to Sayama's time in the UK. I'm not sure if his Tiger Mask has had that many matches; he mostly seemed to second Sayama and not do a lot else when I was watching RJPW.

As for four Tiger Masks in one ring, the closest I saw was Tiger Mask IV, Sayama and Kanemoto vs. Ultimo Dragon, Jushin Liger and Great Sasuke in 2004.

On 30/03/2018 at 1:14 AM, PunkStep said:

Every story I've heard about him from some of the old boys, some from his old tag team partner Blondie Barrett, supports the theory that he was an utterly bizarre and inclusive (perhaps reclusive) individual. Lived the gimmick to the point that he became the gimmick and not a pleasant individual by all accounts. Ultra protective of himself.

I've not heard all that much about him being unpleasant, but a lot about him being very secretive and protective. A lot of old-timers talk about him having a separate locker room, and meditating for hours before a match - and a lot of them saying that decades after they'd have any reason to keep up kayfabe in protecting him.

  • Paid Members
Posted
19 hours ago, Supremo said:

John Cena is really great in his new film “Blockers.” Stealing the show throughout, he’s already nailed his goofy, hammy comedy niche.

I’m gonna miss John when he’s gone for good.

Yeah. Wasn't a massive fan of the film, but Cena is the best thing in it. All the big laughs involved him.

All in, is there anyone that comes close to John Cena post-Attitude era? Christ, even The Rock couldn't keep pace. Batista, Punk and Bryan all got right close, like, but they were never as consistent as Cena (for a number of reasons). Batista was injured a lot and never had John boys consistency, Punk had periods where he clearly wasn't arsed, obviously Bryan couldn't stay healthy.

He proper exposed Reigns too when they had their feud.

Posted

Punk claimed that he was shifting more merch than Cena around 2011-2012, but I’ve always imagined that to be him having a Bret Hart ‘I was getting the most fan mail of anyone in the WWF despite being a heel’ circa 88 moment and believing his own hype rather than anything concrete. I’ve never seen any concrete figures regarding merch being made public*, and I’m sure Punk did shift a tonne of merch in that period in which he was champion and of course he would say so, but even then Cena was still very much the man in WWE.

*thats not to say that they don’t release figures, just that I’ve never read about them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...