Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

I'd say Roman does a fine job of not damaging talent he has matches with. Rusev is an exception but he was already hurt by the Ziggler dreck that lasted forever and didn't even have a payoff. The problem is getting him over is always the endgame and everyone else seems to have short bursts of being relly hot before returning to normal. Strowman & Joe this year, Ambrose in 2015 was as hot as anybody's been since Bryan. Obviously Joe's been injured (at arguably a good time) and we're yet to see how Braun recovers from this damp match but I fear it could really hurt him, and we all know how it went with Ambrose.

As a big Roman fan I just wish they'd capitalize on other's momentum when they have it and not just rely on a doomed masterplan. Reigns/Brock at Mania 31 was class and I'm not necessarily opposed to seeing that again but is it going to achieve what they intend it to? Chances are slim.

Raw is really going to suffer from last night's main event. They could have always had Braun win with a spot of cheating and put it back on Brock at the Rumble if they're dead set on that match, just to keep Raw running strong and give us something different. There was no reason for the crowd to get into the main event, some impressive things but it was just a template Lesnar suplex city match with a bit more selling at the beginning. If they had a barricade spot, a table spot, and Braun lobbed another announce chair he'd be better off but what we got was generic and lethargic. We all wanted something wild and gobsmacking. The Joe match also left me wanting more but I guess Joe was experienced enough to be able to get the crowd more into it.

Poor old Cesaro his mouth smashed open and teeth flying all over the place and he worked through it, that was the match of the night. I can't believe how flat the Cena v Reigns match felt, all the build up and the match went down like a lead balloon, that was the chance to have him turn and try something else otherwise nothing is going to change.

I'm not sure how Strowman can recover from that now, it needed a controversial finish if he was going to lose but it seems all he was in the end was a step in the road to WM for Brock v Reigns that nobody wants to see again. 

Can't believe they cut Braun's legs off like that last night, on one side you have Roman overcoming a top rope AA and a double AA and then poor Strowman after months of amazing build up goes down to one F5. Ridiculous.

Might aswell change his name to The Big Strow now because that's the way his career is going to head if they continue.

In hindsight, I don't think Braun needed to win but he shouldn't have been cut off like that. Give him something to be angry about, losing cleanly to an F5 doesn't cut it. 

I really enjoyed the PPV up until the Roman Cena match which had it's moments but fell flat. I never really like the LA crowd either and i'm not one to go on about shit fans but they felt off after the womans match. The reactions to anything post that were extremely dull. 

Have a lot of thoughts about that main event. Obviously disappointing given the build, but as pointed out the crowd heat just wasn't there either, and it isn't like they haven't done absolutely everything in the world to manufacture a reaction for Strowman. In some ways I feel redeemed for the comments last week when I questioned Braun winning and the idea of changing the dynamic of the character from the threat to the focal point. When he got close to being the focal point, the crowd didn't buy it nearly the same way they did against Joe, and that's after a far better and far longer build to get him to this point.

With Joe I don't think anybody believed Brock would lose, deep down. Whereas with Strowman there was a chance and people didn't bite. The comparison to Big Show above is dead on (even though you mentioned you don't want it) because that's exactly what his character is supposed to be, how he's been built and what he's qualified for. They've just done such a good job they convinced some people he could be more. I always find that fine line quite interesting.

On 25/09/2017 at 3:28 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

So Rusev's first loss in the company made him meaningless?

Sort of. Not the loss itself, just that there's very little you can do after a Cena feud that doesn't seem like a massive demotion. Rusev went from feuding with JC to feuding with Ziggler and Ryback, and by then was finished. It happens often with Cena feuds, there's just such a comedown from working with him to working with anyone else.

The same thing doesn't happen with Reigns for some reason, perhaps due to tenure or because he doesn't elevate the guy he's working with in promos the way Cena does. When Rusev feuded with Reigns, it didn't seem big. Same when Owens feuded with Reigns. Strowman was different, but a lot of that was based on him being booked to clatter Roman all the time, which was a novelty.

• Awards Moderator
54 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

there's very little you can do after a Cena feud that doesn't seem like a massive demotion

On the latest Edge and Christian podcast, Cena says he's aware of this and it's down to the talent to take initiative after a feud. He says most people sit and wait for the next piece of creative.