Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I can't comment on the indie matches, but that match just didn't click for me, and with the reputations for the two men involved for having really good outings with most people they are paired up with, I expected them to knock it out of the park on this recent run together, and they haven't. Whatever the reason/s may be. They've both had better matches in their WWE runs with people who aren't as good as either of them. 

I could be wrong but from memory, AJ Styles and Kevin Owens didn't wrestle each other much on the indies at all. Owens became a more popular and more booked wrestler when Styles was in TNA. I don't think they crossed paths much in ROH. They wrestled in PWG a couple of times but it was a long time ago. Maybe on some smaller independent shows. 

• Paid Members

Fuck everybody hating on Khali's comeback, I thought it was ace. I love the big mad looking bastard.

Also, everything about Jinder's presentation is absolutely quality. His look, his snarl, his music, his video screen graphics as he walks out, his lackeys and now he's got a big goon looking out for him too. I'm into it. He looks a bigger star than almost anyone else on the SmackDown roster. Obviously he isn't, he's only an average worker, but I applaud WWE for their efforts to try to build a heel with real heat and for rewarding the guy that turns up for work with the biggest muscles with a top spot.

The match was actually halfway decent, they all worked their asses off in that shitty cage.

That flag match though? Fucking septic.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Including entrances, Jinder Mahal had a match on PPV that went over 30 minutes! Fuck me. I did like that whoever is in charge of the entrance music forgot to bring the CD with Khali's theme into work so they had to just use Jinder's. 

I don't think using Khali's theme as a heel would have worked.

Stupidly fun and dance-able 

16 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I've said it before on here, but I have no idea what Nakamura is supposed to be. I've never watched any Japanese wrestling, so barring small clips had never seen him before NXT, but all I hear is him called the "Rock Star", but no explanation of why he is a rock star. he doesn't sing, or act, like one and the only link is that he looks off his head all the time. He hasn't even got a rock music entrance theme, so I'm completely lost.

For me, he needs some vignettes or sit down interviews to explain his character to those of us that had no knowledge of him before he moved stateside....

I agree with this.

I think they heard him talk and thought shit, this guy really aint got good English. I keep hearing people in the Wrestling media and even guys like Jericho saying he CAN talk English, but I think it's awful. I honestly can only understand about a third of what he says and the fact they had him cut loads of promos early on with a fucking gum shield in, well. Since then we have seen promos consisting of witty one liners and quips that last about 10 seconds. Let me say this isn't me having a pop, There wouldn't be enough time left in my life to learn Japanese, I dropped French at School as I couldn't grasp it, he does English better than I do Japanese but it's still just not good enough in my opinion.

• Paid Members

Nakamura speaks very good English, if you watch his farewell promo from NXT, it's great. I just don't think he's well suited to the scripted, time constrained, promos of WWE TV - it's one thing having to cut a promo in your second or third language, but having to remember a scripted promo and deliver it as if it's your own words must be a bloody nightmare.

It doesn't help that part of his act is that he has quite an odd speech pattern, as part of the whole weird charisma he has - apparently even in Japanese his promos sometimes were intentionally a bit cryptic and odd.

I think practically everything wrong with Nakamura in WWE is a mixture of him being a round peg that they're trying to fit into a square hole, and that they're taking an organic, innate charisma, and a personality that evolved over years, and trying to reduce it to a few bullet points, so it never feels real.

Nak has a great entrance and a unique gimmick. However he isn't really connecting with the masses. I think maybe he could tone it down a little with the hand gestures and such. But then you're taking part of his uniqueness away. I think ideally Nakamura needs a mouthpiece. Like Great Muta had Gary Hart and Tajiri had the Sinister Minister in ECW. Paul E could work if they turn him heel and maybe make a new Dangerous Alliance type stable.

Outside of Paul there's Paul Ellering and that's about it. He would be a good option. I would use him more as a special attraction too unless you put him up against Roode and bring Bobby up to SmackDown. Maybe a heel Nak vs Styles would get him over. His in ring style needs to be more impactful too. It's more showmanship than straight up strong style. Hes arguably the most unique talent on the roster and it's up to creative to get the best out of him. But he's difficult to "get" unless you've seen his work in New Japan and know about his gimmick.

Edited by Really Big Shoe

• Paid Members

I've never seen Nakamura in Japan. I got it in one night when he debuted in NXT against Sami Zayn. He came across as the most charismatic man in the history of the company. It was like he was from another dimension. The idea that you'd take a look at that guy and try and mould him into something different is insane. He has it. I wouldn't change a thing. Adding a manager would just be the next unnecessary change that takes away from the perfect, main event level act that he came in with. 

I think that's the key though. He only works when you treat him as something special. He should have interrupted a Roman Reigns or AJ Styles segment, and took the belt like it was his. You can de-escalate him afterwards, when everyone gets him, but for the character to work he needs to feel big time to everyone. Not fucking around with Ziggler & Corbin.

From someone who never saw Nakamura before he came to NXT and later WWE I'm firmly in the camp of "dont get him"

He's just fucking weird. I mean in the cartoon world of wrestling he still stands out as odd. The mannerisms, the hand gestures, the way he talks, he just seems like a weirdo.

I imagine a lot of especially casual fans will feel the same, you turn the TV on and see this idiot prancing around making loads of weird gestures you're probably going to think wrestlings not for you.

Everyone else I've been able to get into and get etc, so it's not hating on the Japan or the indies or whatever, I just don't get him, don't like him and don't really want to watch him