Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

There's some talk on Twitter that Styles vs Owens was supposed to be restarted, but they didn't have any alternative camera angles so had to keep the title change. I don't know if I believe it.

14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Imagine having a roster that included AJ Styles, Nakamura, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Rusev and John Cena, yet putting on such a terrible show. Smackdown is a real mess when it has the potential to be incredible.

The fact that they had Styles/Owens and Cena/Rusev on the show and it was still pretty poor (outside of the opener) is a worry.

What do we think the Smackdown side of Summerslam is going to look like? Mahal/Orton again? Corbin/Nakamura again, but for the briefcase? Owens/Styles again or Owens/Styles/Nakamura for the US title? Where does Cena fit in; will they do Mahal/Cena and Orton/Khali?

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I wonder if Natalya is getting the title shot at Summerslam so that the Four Horsewomen are free to have a match or do an angle with Ronda and company?

Part of me thinks Nattie is getting the belt. Found it weird they mentioned she's one PPV match away from tying Trish Stratus' record as a female competitor, unless the one that ties it is going to be an important one (like her winning the belt). Easily room for a Face turn there if she shakes Naomi's hand after (now that Maria is back, with Lana, Carmella and Tamina on the heel side, having Nattie, Charlotte, Naomi and Becky Lynch able to lead matches and run them through smoothly with that heel side wouldn't be the worst thing if trying to train Lana and Carmella further in the ring).

Watching WWE programming becomes so much more enjoyable when you lose all interest in their way of booking.

Jinder and Khali pissing about as the top Smackdown heels? Sign me right up for that mess. 

A real dud of a show. Owens and Styles only seem to be working at about 50% in their feud, as evidenced by another fairly mediocre match with a tepid finish. Nakamura being battered down into a such a dullard is a real achievement, Cena reverting back into his unashamed America pandering gimmick won't do anything to hold my attention, and I've seen the same combination of women work that they could be pulling out ***** matches and I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Dud of a show that.

• Paid Members

RE: the Styles/Owens finish, my interpretation was that it was supposed to be a either double pin, or a pin where one of each of their shoulders came up late, erroneously called in favour of Owens by a groggy/blurred vision referee. Because otherwise, the ref bump was totally pointless. For whatever reason, didn't come across at all.

But yeah, truly horrendous show.

• Awards Moderator

I can't believe I sat through that. Decent opener, a fun Fashion Files, and a silly Singh Brother bump and that's about all I'll take away from it. I can't believe I've just watched a show where I wasn't bothered about Nakamura, AJ Styles' match didn't leave an impression and Cena wasn't a highlight.

Orton & Cena vs Mahal & Khali for Summerslam in a tribute to the Megapowers vs Megabucks match from '88.

Nakamura is the absolute drizzling fucking shits. Literally none of his offence even gets close to connecting, it's the most frustrating case for a while just how backwards he has gone. What the actual fuck is going on, is he being told his style won't fly on the main roster and so is holding back? Is it a personal choice he has made with a view to earning good money for a few years but saving his bump card for when he inevitably returns to Japan so he can put on great matches back home and does not burn out over here? I just need something, some kind of explanation, because by the show I give less and less of a toss about the guy.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Nakamura is the absolute drizzling fucking shits. Literally none of his offence even gets close to connecting, it's the most frustrating case for a while just how backwards he has gone. What the actual fuck is going on, is he being told his style won't fly on the main roster and so is holding back? Is it a personal choice he has made with a view to earning good money for a few years but saving his bump card for when he inevitably returns to Japan so he can put on great matches back home and does not burn out over here? I just need something, some kind of explanation, because by the show I give less and less of a toss about the guy.

Nakamura, even in Japan, very clearly half-arsed it when it wasn't a big match, safe in the knowledge that one or two matches at his best would be enough to keep his stock high. Problem is, in NJPW he had a lot more freedom to just be himself, and let his charisma show naturally, and his reactions to his opponent felt organic and natural. In WWE, they've clearly narrowed down his act to a handful of signature movements and gestures, and he has to try and fit them all in, and it never feels quite right.

On top of that, a WWE babyface has to work to a particular structure, and it's not one that suits Nakamura. He should be kicking fuck out of blokes, not selling for 50-75% of the match and getting a big comeback to win. It doesn't help that he was brought in as a big deal straight away, rather than having the time to squash jobbers and work shorter matches designed to get his signature moves and sequences over.

I find it hard to place much, if any, of the blame on Nakamura's shoulders - he is, by a wide margin, the most charismatic performer I've ever seen live. Any wrestling promotion that can't capitalise and make huge money on that is doing something seriously wrong.

This show was bollocks, anyway. Good to see Khali back, though, the big, barely mobile, lumbering weird bastard. The clip going round on Twitter of the Hindi announce team's reaction to him showing up is the highlight of the whole show, closely followed by him celebrating with the title at the end as if he just won the thing.