Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

With the Rock star comparisons, Nak has said he's influenced by Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury. In essence his persona is a amalgamation of both. You have the flamboyance of Freddie and the hand gestures, ring attire etc are all MJ. How this all works within a pro wrestling framework is what the main issue is. You have a great gimmick, entrance but something just isn't clicking.

Booking retrospectively do you debut him at last years Mania?. Somehow Nakamura debuting at the conclusion of Takers match and going up against the Dead Man makes sense. Why? because both have unique one of a kind gimmicks. Plus it could have put Nak over as a superstar if he retired the Undertaker. That would have solidified him in the fans eyes.

Then have him as a special attraction. Maybe mix in some supernatural type stuff even to explain his eccentricity. Right now there's no explanation about who Shinsuke Nakamura is and why he's such a big deal. Putting him against Corbin et al makes little to no sense. Maybe trade him to Raw instead at least then he can work against Brock, Joe etc instead. Plus if they do trade him put some vignettes up to help put over who Nak is. I think switching anything up gimmick wise is a mistake. With the right booking and storytelling I think he could crossover as the Rockstar of WWE. Have him turn up on MTV etc and on talk shows to promote himself and WWE. Do a 24 special on him and get the gimmick over. Right now he's just who he is with no rhyme or reason. It makes no logical sense to sign Nakamura and don't utilise his uniqueness and talent. He's just another guy in the mix when he should, based on prior glory, be a main eventer or in the least a upper midcarder on the cusp of the main event.

Edited by Really Big Shoe

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Really Big Shoe said:

With the Rock star comparisons, Nak has said he's influenced by Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury. In essence his persona is a amalgamation of both. You have the flamboyance of Freddie and the hand gestures, ring attire etc are all MJ. How this all works within a pro wrestling framework is what the main issue is. You have a great gimmick, entrance but something just isn't clicking.

Booking retrospectively do you debut him at last years Mania?. Somehow Nakamura debuting at the conclusion of Takers match and going up against the Dead Man makes sense. Why? because both have unique one of a kind gimmicks. Plus it could have put Nak over as a superstar if he retired the Undertaker. That would have solidified him in the fans eyes.

Then have him as a special attraction. Maybe mix in some supernatural type stuff even to explain his eccentricity. Right now there's no explanation about who Shinsuke Nakamura is and why he's such a big deal. Putting him against Corbin et al makes little to no sense. Maybe trade him to Raw instead at least then he can work against Brock, Joe etc instead. Plus if they do trade him put some vignettes up to help put over who Nak is. I think switching anything up gimmick wise is a mistake. With the right booking and storytelling I think he could crossover as the Rockstar of WWE. Have him turn up on MTV etc and on talk shows to promote himself and WWE. Do a 24 special on him and get the gimmick over. Right now he's just who he is with no rhyme or reason. It makes no logical sense to sign Nakamura and don't utilise his uniqueness and talent. He's just another guy in the mix when he should based on prior glory a main eventer or in the least a upper midcarder on the cusp of the main event.

Now, a simple sit down or in ring interview where this was explained would have helped loads.

I mean, the MJ outfit makes a lot of sense now I think about it, but the arm gestures I would never in a million years have accredited to Freddy Mercury or the like. Also, seeing as the product has a fair percentage of its audience who weren't even alive when MJ died(an even bigger percentage when Freddy went) it would help them to link it. My kids know all about Micheal Jackson and Freddy Mercury as we have their albums on in the car sometimes, but I know for a fact they wouldn't have linked Naka's clothing with MJ's....

This ESPN article    http://www.espn.co.uk/wwe/story/_/id/19016401/wwe-nxt-shinsuke-nakamura-substance-style-takes-many-elements-makes-own is a good starting point to find out more about Nakamura. He references MJ in the ESPN article and http://www.wwe.com/amp/shows/smackdown/article/5-things-shinsuke-nakamura here it mentions Fred.

Edited by Really Big Shoe

He's never lived up to that first night in NXT, has he? For all the talk of him being crap on the main roster, he was never that great once he actually got going on the developmental brand. I don't tend to watch the weekly show, but I think I saw all of his Takeover matches and was thoroughly unimpressed by all of them other than that initial one with Sami Zayn.

That's one of the main problems sending him to developmental. Granted he needed to know how to work the WWE style but when you have a unique talent you have to book him in a way to utilise him best. He is more a showman, rather than a technically proficient wrestler. He is like Bray Wyatt where his entrance is the strongest part of the gimmick. His in ring style is unorthodox and they should put that over on the announce desk. He's not a cookie cutter WWE performer and its the WWEs role to put that over and they should match him up with opponents he can shine against. Put him against Sami again, AJ etc or like I mentioned send him to Raw. I think he'd click with Joe and Brock. I'd book him as the flamboyant underdog who against the odds beats the bigger opponent. I'd also do a 24 special and make him a big deal. Because its like if a team signed a top player and put him in the reserves. You have to cater the product around Nakamura to make him fit in. He should in theory be a top guy but hes drifting around the lower card. I wouldn't be surprised if WWE gives up on Nak and they job him out on Main Event. Would be just mind boggling to do so because you don't get unique talents like that very often. So its all up to WWE creative to find out why he's not getting over and connecting on a grander scale. I think maybe they need to break kayfabe a little and let the fans see the real Nakamura and have him talk about his gimmick, MJ, Freddie etc

On 28/07/2017 at 9:02 AM, Supremo said:

I'm blown away that anyone would use Balor's entrance as a way to criticise Nakamura's. Even at its very best, when he's in full makeup, with all the bells and whistles, Balor's entrance always feels super phoney. He comes across as a guy uncomfortably doing what he's been taught to do. Like a kid in a school play. It doesn't look or seem natural at all. Especially when he whips the dreadlocks off at the end and his hair is oftentimes sticking up. Standing there in the makeup, with his hair sticking up a bit, he looks like a five year old going to his first Halloween party.

Nakamura's entrance, for all his weird mannerisms and random poses, it comes across as completely authentic. He never feels like someone has sat down with him and meticulously rehearsed what he should do. With Finn, you can see in his eyes that he's doing his routine and performing his act. I never see that when I look at Shinsuke. 

Plus, I've seen Nakamura's entrance live and, fuck me, it was up there with the best I've ever seen. Proper spine-tingling. He felt on a level above almost everyone I've ever seen, oozing confidence and charisma like very few in the business.

I'm also fascinated as to why people feel the need for Nakamura's character to be, "explained." People complaining that they don't understand what he's supposed to be or why he moves and acts the way he does. I'd never seen him until he debuted in NXT and not once did that thought cross my mind. Why can't someone just be a super confident, super charismatic, super flamboyant, weirdo oddball? Why has everything got to be explained? 

The very reason he felt like the biggest breath of fresh air when he came to NXT was because of how weird and different he was. It was ridiculously compelling to see this guy talking, wrestling and moving unlike anyone else. Him doing all these strange, subtle, weird things was what made him stand out. You couldn't take your eyes off him and had no idea what he was going to do next. Requiring for him to be, "explained," or to have his act boiled down, like they've attempted to do by calling him, "The Artist," or whatever, does nothing but take away from his act.

Real people act in strange, subtle ways. The best characters can't be boiled down into one sentence. That people want him explained and boiled down is dishearteningly indicative of how everyone's been raised on Vinny Mac's vision of how to write and portray characters. That approach is why most characters in WWE are such one-note, boring bastards that are impossible to invest in. Instead of just being an arrogant dickhead, displaying loads of subtleties that make you hate him, Dolph Ziggler has to be called the "Show Off," he has to constantly tell everyone he's showing off, the commentators have to keep referring to him showing off and Jesus-fucking-Christ how could anyone possibly give a shit by that point? It's the difference between the genuinely funny guy in your office and the, "whacky," guy who keeps telling you how funny and mad he is.

I completely agree with the 'Demon', its shit and is one of the lamest things ive seen.He looks like a 15 year old girl at Ozzfest in the early 2000's.What Finn does do though, or maybe what his whole entrance/act does, is draw the audience into his entrance. Sure, it might not be down to him and his awkward ways, but they're still drawn in. I feel that Nakamuras entrance would be brilliant regardless of whose walking out, its all about the stunning music and not about the shuffling 'eccentric' on the ramp. The only time I felt his entrance worked was when he had the violinist performing and he had something to play off and a reason to be doing what he does. Acting like that when you're coming out to interrupt Dolph Ziggler is just a bit bizarre.

• 1 month later...

So, how do we see things going tonught?

My prediction, Reigns beats Cena, which results in a hand shake and a hug post match and Brock beats Strowman after a couple of F5's, resulting in Strowman attacking Lesnar after the match and beating him down to "explain his absense" for the rest of the year.

Not really sure what other matches are happening off the top of my head.

Reigns beats Cena, postmatch Cena promo and handshake. Brock retains via Heyman distraction leading to F5 quick pin. Post match destruction and flying chairs "putting out" Lesnar. I'd love Strowman to win, but THE PLAN must continue. Ambrollins to retain. Wyatt/Balor, don't care. Neville beating Enzo, hopefully by massive squash. Bliss to retain (usual multi-woman match shenanigans). Can see Miz dropping the belt to Angle, I mean Jordan, probably the usual booking of a screwup by the Miztourage.

Really feels like outside of the top two matches, nothing matters in the results tonight. 

EDIT: Yeah, I had to Google the card to check what was booked.

Edited by bigfoote

• Paid Members

In an alternative reality, where backstage politics played no part in what we see on TV, I'd love Enzo to win the Cruiserweight Title. He's one of the best promos in the company and could do wonders for making me care about that division. Unfortunately, it'll never happen, and even if it did it wouldn't stop them from continuing to beat him up on TV for their weird, perverse enjoyment, and endlessly referring to him getting kicked out of locker rooms and other irrelevant shit. They had something with him and it's a shame we'll likely never see him reach his potential. I can't think of another guy who they built from scratch who had such natural charisma and upside on the microphone.

Brock/Strowman to end in a no contest. I think Undertaker may interfere in Romans match tonight to set up a possible rematch at Survivor Series that will also mean Cena/Roman lives to fight another day. If WWE are really clever they could even have the lights go out, Undertaker standing between both and accidently hitting Cena teasing a Cena/Taker next year at Mania whilst also costing Roman the match setting up a rematch at Survivor Series. 

Issue with this is I cannot see Brock/Strowman and Cena/Undertaker ending in no contests/screwy finishes. 

Surely having Brock retain only to be attacked and "written out for the year" can't happen if the plan is for him to keep the belt

I know WWE plays loose with the 30 day no compete clause when Lesnar goes missing but at least they can half heartedly say there are no challengers and Brock is waiting, and it's not down to him to book title matches and he shows up when he is asked etc so the 30 days without a match is WWE choice so he retains the title.

If they have him retain and openly admit he is gone because he is injured at the hands of Strowman it makes a mockery of Balor having to give up the title through injury and Naomi just 6 months ago doing the same.

If Brock is written out for the year he has to relinquish the title surely.

8 hours ago, bigfoote said:

Reigns beats Cena, postmatch Cena promo and handshake. Brock retains via Heyman distraction leading to F5 quick pin. Post match destruction and flying chairs "putting out" Lesnar. I'd love Strowman to win, but THE PLAN must continue. Ambrollins to retain. Wyatt/Balor, don't care. Neville beating Enzo, hopefully by massive squash. Bliss to retain (usual multi-woman match shenanigans). Can see Miz dropping the belt to Angle, I mean Jordan, probably the usual booking of a screwup by the Miztourage.

Really feels like outside of the top two matches, nothing matters in the results tonight. 

EDIT: Yeah, I had to Google the card to check what was booked.

I'll break the ice here...

So THE PLAN won out. Brock/Braun started out well, but I can't help thinking this might sink Braun's run. One F5 finished him. 

Reigns continues to be the chosen one, and looks like Cena is going away til next year.

Enzo's cheap win stings, but again, he shifts merch and shouts loudly, perhaps the most marketable gimmick in 205

Props to Cesaro, the finish leaves the door open and can see him and Sheamus taking the titles back when mini-Shield inevitably implodes

Standard multi-woman match, they need to show more of Nia and her strengths. Asuka coming in might be a much needed shot in the arm, it's all rather stale.

Is there anyone who has matured and grown in their time with WWE as much as the Miz? And where does the Angle feud end up? Kurt/Miz at mania?

All in all, the show has shown THE PLAN can not be changed.

PS: Emotional Cena on Raw Talk is uncomfortable to watch talk so candidly about passing the torch.