Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but before the ring introductions, as Brock entered the ring, he went face to face with Braun and the crowd definitely reacted. It was probably the highlight of the entire match. I don't know. I think the crowd, like us, were expecting bedlam, so the moment it became just another Lesnar match their enthusiasm vanished.

Until the Heyman intro, that's true. Then bell went and they all sat down bar the front couple of rows. I think you're right, they were after bedlam - because they're not that into the match. WWE booked the match from the POV of the beast being dominated by this monster and they clearly expected the crowd to react to that. Maybe that's naive these days but if the match was as over with the paying audience as it was with people on here, it should have got over better.

It's chicken and egg in some ways. the crowd being into the match would have made this style of match much better. But the crowd not being into it, this style of match was never going to get them interested.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It's chicken and egg in some ways. the crowd being into the match would have made this style of match much better. But the crowd not being into it, this style of match was never going to get them interested.

Definitely. However, it's up to the people in the ring to listen to the non-reaction and change it up. Sadly, Braun is too green (probs) and Brock couldn't be arsed.

How many times now have we seen a top superstar visually endorse Reigns? Off the top of my head, you can now add Cena to Rock, Bryan, HHH and Heyman - and that's with my sketchy WWE memory of the last few years.

Isn't even taking into account the amount of talent they've meandered to meaningless in their attempts to get him over. It's worked to a degree, but the amount of other roster members they've fucked over in that process is outstanding.

• Paid Members

Good show until the last two matches. As great as Cena vs Reigns was, the tag match was match of the night. Poor Cesaro, but it added some intensity to the match. 

As someone who hasn't liked Enzo since his NXT days and my dislike for him has grown more and more stronger, him winning the title was the worst thing to happen. 

Brock vs Braun was okay at best. Very anticlimactic finish. One F5 finishes Braun? That makes him look good. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Brock vs Braun was okay at best. Very anticlimactic finish. One F5 finishes Braun? That makes him look good. 

What you on about? Did you not hear Michael Cole say Braun is right good?

1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

How many times now have we seen a top superstar visually endorse Reigns? Off the top of my head, you can now add Cena to Rock, Bryan, HHH and Heyman - and that's with my sketchy WWE memory of the last few years.

Isn't even taking into account the amount of talent they've meandered to meaningless in their attempts to get him over. It's worked to a degree, but the amount of other roster members they've fucked over in that process is outstanding.

It's the whole handshake/'raise hand & point' thing that annoys me. It's never really done anyone any favours and is such a lazy way to go about it. All it does is heighten the resentment towards Reigns and, unless they're being really clever with a heel run, I'm not sure that's what Vince is after.

Edited by ColinBollocks

1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

Which wrestlers became meaningless after specifically losing to Roman?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Which wrestlers became meaningless after specifically losing to Roman?

It's not so much individual people plummeting down the card after losing to him, more that this vanity project to get him over has been going for what? 2 or 3 years now? He's getting booed against Cena of all people. They've came "this" close to pushing people like Strowman, Joe, Ryback, and Wyatt to that next level in that time, but they always fall short because Roman needs to be on top or being built towards being on top.

Strowman was the last straw for me. He's the first wrestler who I've genuinely tuned in for since I was a kid and they bottled it again. I've been running on free trials since cancelling the other month but I've finalised the cancellation this morning. I just can't be arsed with it any more. NXT is full of vanilla midgets doing kicks, you have Jinder Mahal as one champ and Brock Lesnar who's never on the show as the other, and everyone but Reigns just dwindles in the midcard going nowhere because he's the plan and fuck everything else. Boring.
They've got a million writers but none of them dare act on anything that gets popular. It's not even just in the main events, it's all over the card. Tag teams never winning the belts, midcard acts just jobbing relentlessly. Breaking up teams like Enzo and Cass so neither can hide their weaknesses any more and you're just left with shit. It's just a really poorly written product full of nobodies.

38 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Rusev for one, 

Rusev became meaningless after losing to Cena, ironically.

Braun/Brock was so disappointing. I wanted mayhem and got a wrestling match. Braun loses to one F5, proper monster him. I've watched that guy walk away from near death yet a shite looking kimura is his kryptonite.

Roman is class so any complaints can fuck off. Almost anything he does these days is good and he is racking up top performances every PPV.

I've not seen any other matches yet to comment and there may be an explanation but why was the commentary table Reigns and Cena went through suddenly repaired for the main event?

Edited by FUM

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's not so much that losing to Reigns is cutting people's momentum off, more that no one else is given the opportunities because they're so dead set on Reigns as The Guy. Strowman and Samoa Joe were both unlikely to ever be the new Hogan, but they had short-term momentum and credibility on their side and both got put down in short order rather than WWE striking while the iron was hot - and maybe Braun will get a title run in the future, but who's to say he'll be as relevant again as he was before No Mercy?

On the other hand, it's WWE Booking 101, as far back as Sammartino, at least; the Braun Strowmans, Samoa Joes and Rusevs of the world aren't meant to be the top guys, they're the monsters for the top guy to vanquish. Strowman isn't Hogan, he's King Kong Bundy at Wrestlemania 2. It seems that, basically ever since Cena made it up top, Vince has defaulted to the formula he knows best - for good or ill.

Reigns/Cena was brilliant, why does it have to end with the raising of a hand though? I was praying for Roman to spear the fuck out of him after the said moment.  

Up until the bell rang for the main event it was a really good event, even i didn't think they would butcher the brock/strowman match like that though. Wow, what a waste. Where does Strowman go from hete? I'm guessing Miz/Reigns happens now? Maybe the statrt of a shield reunion to go against the miztourage? 

Probably worth tuning out now until the Rumble.

• Paid Members

I can't think of a damper squib reason to reform The Shield than to fight Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel. It's as bad as The Rock coming back to dick around with R-Truth in his first match.

I know there's The Plan and everything, but it seems like they've just burned through every plausible Wrestlemania match RAW has to offer - Cena/Reigns was the biggest match they have on paper, and slightly below that are Lesnar/Strowman and Cena/Strowman, both of which they've already done. I know a big 'Mania match doesn't have to be the First Time Ever, but that's always a good way to make a match feel important.

It just seems obvious that Reigns/Lesnar is where they're going, and that they probably hadn't even factored Strowman into their plans for Wrestlemania, because they thought he'd have hit his peak by now and be bumbling around the midcard. What is there for him to do at Wrestlemania now? They've burned through the biggest matches available for him in about two months.

And John Cena, Jesus, has this been the worst year of his career or what? Worst PPV match he's had in years with Baron Corbin, abysmal (and pointless) flag match with Rusev, even Wrestlemania was basically just a set-up for a future Total Divas episode, and now the pissing away of a money match with Reigns. Outside of his match with AJ Styles, it must be the most underwhelming PPV year he's ever had.

What could be on the cards for him at Wrestlemania? I'm starting to worry that my outlandish prediction of Cena/Jinder for him to break Flair's record is becoming more likely by the day. Butts in seats, etc.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah, it's not so much that losing to Reigns is cutting people's momentum off, more that no one else is given the opportunities because they're so dead set on Reigns as The Guy. Strowman and Samoa Joe were both unlikely to ever be the new Hogan, but they had short-term momentum and credibility on their side and both got put down in short order rather than WWE striking while the iron was hot - and maybe Braun will get a title run in the future, but who's to say he'll be as relevant again as he was before No Mercy?

On the other hand, it's WWE Booking 101, as far back as Sammartino, at least; the Braun Strowmans, Samoa Joes and Rusevs of the world aren't meant to be the top guys, they're the monsters for the top guy to vanquish. Strowman isn't Hogan, he's King Kong Bundy at Wrestlemania 2. It seems that, basically ever since Cena made it up top, Vince has defaulted to the formula he knows best - for good or ill.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to present it as the stigma that Cena's been burdened with for ages, which is lose = instant burial and shoved back into the midcard. 

With Roman it's much more the case they've just squandered so much potential for the sake of making him look good. The majority of people on RAW look completely worthless next to him anyway, like the League of Nations guys who literally formed to lose to Reigns. Then occasionally you'll have someone who actually breaks through that metophorical ceiling, gains some hype, and it's back to the status quo of making Reigns look good. Not only is it really crap writing, it must be demoralising as fuck for the likes of Strowman, Joe, Rusev, knowing that despite how hard they work or how much a crowd reaction they get, they won't change anything in the long term. What makes this even weirder is that it's not as if WWE aren't providing anyone else these opportunities. Joe and Strowman were both given big chances in their recent programmes with Brock and they both took it with both hands, yet  soon they'll be back into the regular shuffle. This win against Cena must be the millionth "coronation" win he's had. Every single time he has a big win, for whatever reason it's always played up as a "Roman has arrived!" type thing, which makes no fucking sense when taking into account how accomplished he is. I'll never understand their project with him, but it's one of the biggest reasons why I barely touch WWE these days. As a wrestler, a promo, character he's great! He's a really good worker, great look, all the like. But the writing surrounding him is morbid, and has been for a fucking age, with the exception of any time they've allowed him to be the heel role he absolutely excels at.

It's just a huge turn off for the whole product really. It's no fun garnering an investment in the wrestlers, the storylines, the matches, anything, when you know that inevitably all roads lead to making Roman look strong.

Oh, and Lesnar can fuck off into the sun for me. Couldn't give a single shit about him anymore. 

Edited by AdamTH17