Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Apart from the G.O.A.T. and Strowman having another barn burning brawl, I was a tad disappointed with the matches that hooked me going in. The ambulance angle was hokey a anything which took away the "This is awesome" aspect.

Joe and Brock was an intense few minutes but it needed to be more for Joe to come out looking worthy. One F5 should finish a match but they've told us time and time again that 1 finisher doesn't beat a top guy.

Enzo cut a beautiful promo but the match wasn't good. A slighty elongated squash wasn't the story to tell. Don't get me wrong, Cass should go over but not like that. Cass getting boos and a couple of "Casshole" chants was the saving grace.

Hardys and Sheamus/Cesaro delivered. Sheamus and Cesaro have quietly become a really, really good act.

Finish to the women's match was lame.

WYATT WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111!!

Good action on this PPV. Should have been great though.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

One F5 and he's done- Joe must be a right chump to not kick out of that once. Was good while it lasted, but far from quenched my thirst for a Joe/Brock match. Not sure why I had my hopes up for Brock doing more than 5 mins work.

Only 6 German suplexes as well. People can talk about all the offence Joe got in (which they probably won't when this is forgotten and Joe goes back to the midcard to feud with Heath Slater), but when was the last time Brock won a PPV title match with so few offensive moves and one F5? It's not like Joe's going to be blown up from all that leaning on Brock with the Coqina clutch semi applied. I expected some kind of no-finish and another go round at Summerslam, but I guess they've got to keep Brock looking strong before they feed him to Reigns at Mania.

I think it's been pretty much covered, but Joe/Lesnar was like a tin of cold spam after years of expecting rare steak. And, in a way, I think there was a perfect storm of circumstances that conspired to make it the erection-killer it turned out to be. Chief amongst them is the WWE's almost impressive commitment to their original plans. They are almost allergic to changing gear or  acknowledging momentum. They booked the match exactly as if the build didn't happen, which is crazy.

Also, in my countless fevered Joe/Brock dreams, I never once factored in a sleeper hold. Obviously they have their place in the wrestling world, but this was supposed to be a fight. A war. Two big lugs beating shite out of each other. Everytime Joe reached for Brocks neck it was like your missus looking at you mid-pump and saying 'doesn't your mum look good now those liver spots have cleared up?'. I just wanted death and destruction, and for a brief minute at the start it looked possible, but overall I was very sad.

I also don't think it helped following an actual attempted murder. It's very hard to sell intensity when the fella before you tried to kill someone with an ambulance.

• Paid Members

Wanted more from Lesnar and Joe and was an anticlimactic finish, but it was good for what it was. Joe needs something now, so I hope he tears apart Miz and co and takes away that IC title.

Roman and Braun was the best match of the night. Surely a double turn happened there with Roman trying to murder someone just because he lost.

Tag match was good. First half was a bit slow and it didn't look like they knew how to fill the time but it had a great last few minutes.

Rest of the card was okay. Dean and Miz need to get away from each other. No idea if Bray and Seth was good as I didn't pay any attention to it as I don't care for Bray Wyatt and his matches anymore.

Edited by TheBurningRed

I think with Joe vs. Lesnar it's important to keep perspective. I reckon there's every chance that at one point they had this pencilled in for a five minute squash rather than what we actually got. It is frustrating to see WWE stick so stringently to their plans, but there's no question in my mind that Joe is way, way higher now than he has been since debuting and that he was taken as a serious threat by Brock Lesnar of all people. Furthermore, I think there's a far greater chance that we get this match again in future now and I'm happy to see that.

Good show all told I thought. They even put the first piss break match on at the start so you could skip ahead.

It was alright, with WWE's modern version of 80s NWA striking again in terms of heels winning all the time. 

The sooner Brock loses the belt the better though. I know these 5 minute main events are unique but I just don't like them in my wrestling. It was good for what it was but people didn't get hyped up for that.

The Reigns/Strowman stuff was well done if it was a indeed a double turn. I have a strong suspicion is wasn't but Braun certainly came out looking a star.

Rest of it was fine. The Iron Man match was good once it got going and Alexa/Sasha showed they've good chemistry for a rematch. 

Edited by AndyUK

• Paid Members

The first few seconds of Joe v Lesnar was brilliant, but then it just sort of went into a bit of a formula. As dAz points out, you were hoping it would be them having a mad brawl, which we got near the start, then Joe just went for his finish time and again.

I hope the Braun finish means they're having both men do a double turn. Either that, or WWE are truly clueless as to what that finish presented to their audience, with Reigns being vilified by the commentary team and a bloody Braun walking away on his own. They'll probably screw it up, but they've got something in Braun - despite his limitations, he does good work.

46 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

It is frustrating to see WWE stick so stringently to their plans,

And when they don't stick to their plans and change their minds month to month people whinge that back in the old days they'd plan out a year's worth of storylines from Mania to Mania, and do it, and that's how it should be now.  Whatever they do someone will moan.  Anyway, if you believe what you read (probably crap) they've changed their Summerslam plans for the likes for Lesnar, Strowman, Reigns and Cena again and again and again.

1 hour ago, The Dart said:

And when they don't stick to their plans and change their minds month to month people whinge that back in the old days they'd plan out a year's worth of storylines from Mania to Mania, and do it, and that's how it should be now.  Whatever they do someone will moan.  Anyway, if you believe what you read (probably crap) they've changed their Summerslam plans for the likes for Lesnar, Strowman, Reigns and Cena again and again and again.

Of course that's true and I don't even necessarily have a problem with it in this particular instance. It's just a shame that when something is adaptable they don't roll with the punches.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

Alexa's arm trick is fucking awesome, when did she bust that out before, was it against Becky?

Yeah against Becky on Smackdown. Cole got very excited about it. Clearly he never watched Alexa Bliss when she went on Smackdown.