Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Shane tweeted something to the effect that it wasn't acceptable way to finish a match so I'd imagine there'll be some announcement on SD this week as to how it's going to be resolved.

They showed a Daniel Bryan tweet DURING THE SHOW saying that the unacceptable situation at the end of the women's MITB will be the first thing addressed on Smackdown, so it's clearly going to be a big storyline thing.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, gadge said:

They showed a Daniel Bryan tweet DURING THE SHOW saying that the unacceptable situation at the end of the women's MITB will be the first thing addressed on Smackdown, so it's clearly going to be a big storyline thing.

Sorry I didn't see the full thing, just was on my Twitter feed this morning.

Either way the original question has been answered.

I feel like I'm the #1 Smackdown fanboy at the moment but I enjoyed the show. Honestly, I don't think any match was as good as the Fatal 5-Way at the last Raw PPV, but I'd also say the average was better. There wasn't anything on it I thought was less than decent. Certainly nothing I'd choose an Alicia Fox or Kalisto match over.

The women's MITB match wasn't amazing, obviously, but I still liked it. After a million and one men's ladder matches, seeing the women do it was a reminder of what stuff like this felt like back in the day; there was a level of curiosity and sense of jeopardy that I haven't felt from a WWE match in quite a while. The finish didn't bother me except in that it could have been done better. Sure, have Ellsworth steal it, but maybe make it a bit more dramatic.

I thought the Usos/New Day match was very good, to a point that the count-out didn't bother me at all. I'm happy to see plenty more of this combination.

Naomi vs. Lana was pretty average, but I'd call that a success considering Lana's inexperience.

Jinder vs. Randy was fine. Yes, it sucks that Jinder's the world champ, but in terms of the SD card it's almost being treated as the midcard programme, and in those terms I'd argue it's not quite the abomination some say it is. I mean, as mediocre as Jinder is, as a match I'd still take this over watching Miz vs. Ambrose. Oh, and it always happens, but Jinder on Talking Smack afterwards is always more interesting than he is on the actual show. Renee and Booker both moved along very quickly when he bluntly and authoratively claimed "they (the American people) only boo me because of the colour of my skin". Hah. It's easy to imagine people backstage going nuts.

Seeing Maria back was nice, and I'd have to listen to it again, but their music struck me as a corker in an "awful (but catchy) music for awful characters" way. I'm not massively looking forward to Bennett as a singles competitor though. The Kingdom in ROH I could live with because the overall package was decent, but I think he might be a bit more weight than Maria can carry on her own. Maybe he's got better though. It's been a couple of years since I've seen him.

The Ascension have been hot garbage from day one in NXT but I'll sit through a Main Event level match for more Fashion Police at the moment.

Men's MITB was fine for me too. I was pulling for Sami to win it - I had this vision of him being all hesitant and neurotic about it, planning on cashing in then backing out a bunch - and Corbin winning it was a bit of a damp squib, but I thought the match had enough good moments. Nakamura's stuff was fine for me. I thought he still came out looking strong enough and that moment where he and AJ put the ladder to one side was pretty electric. I'm definitely curious to see how things shake out in the short term now.

• Paid Members

When it was obviously the Ascension silhouettes in the Fashion Vice skit, I thought for a minute they might turn up as the surfer characters from Southpaw to play a part in that. Sure, it'd destroy their proper gimmick, but who cares?

Mike Bennett's hair is slightly less hideous than it was in TNA. Hopefully they'll have made him ditch the terrible tights he had there too.

Would have been a nice idea to actually have Carmella successfully cash in last night, taking the opportunity of neither Shane or Bryan being present to sort out the controversy, giving them a bigger mess to try to unpick as she'd have legitimately won an announced title match, with the query being over the earlier events.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Statto said:

Would have been a nice idea to actually have Carmella successfully cash in last night, taking the opportunity of neither Shane or Bryan being present to sort out the controversy, giving them a bigger mess to try to unpick as she'd have legitimately won an announced title match, with the query being over the earlier events.

I had that idea when I was watching it too, thought it would have made for a pretty clever pay-off. Might have been difficult to tell that story clearly without completely telegraphing the cash-in and title change though.

• Paid Members

As some others have said, my expectations were low going in, so I wasn't overly negative coming out of this show, especially with the Network being what it is these days. However if this was a Sky Box Office show over here then I imagine the negativity would be much higher. These split brand PPV's are simply episodes of RAW or SmackDown, and I would say 'without the adverts' if I could, but they actually have plenty of adverts on these Network shows. 

I had no interest in watching the women's ladder match, as I was skipping through it I caught a spot with Tamina stinking up the joint, and then I caught the finish as well and decided I'd made the right choice. Ditto for the Lana/Naomi encounter. With the women on the main roster, there is Charlotte, and then there is everyone else. 

I thought Uso's v New Day was a really exciting match, and whilst it was a bad finish, I wasn't expecting a clean cut finish so it didn't really disappoint me, though I can imagine it would if you were there watching it live. There are many more matches to come between these lot so it can't all be given away at the start. 

Love the Fashion Police. Hate the Ascension. 

Jinder v Randy was Jinder's best match. It was the same as last time out really but improved in places, it seemed to go by a bit quicker. It's still a travesty that he is in this spot and the WWE title is associated with this feud rather than being fought over between Styles v Orton, with a returning John Cena and the newly arrived Nakamura, but I digress. Jinder is champ for a long time yet.

I thought the main event was good but definitely not great, and not the standard of the Raw five way at the last show. Baron Corbin is a boring cunt, though having the briefcase suits a heel, so it'll give him something to do. Corbin was a cert and they are really hot on him. I however, am not. 

Watching the women's mitb finish gave me an idea that I think would be good scenario for a future mens mitb finish.

Have a new signing or nxt marquee (roode) do a run in at the end of the match when everyone's down and steal the briefcase and parade round victorious. Over the next 6 weeks of tv have him defend the briefcase he 'won' against the original mitb competitors  in singles matches and win by chickenshit screwy finishes over all of them. Guy should be getting major heel heat at the end of this then have him sneak the title from the champ and voila you should have a hated bastard established as a true heel with unique storyline for a good 2 months of tv.

• 3 weeks later...

Good PPV overall, I thought.

Although short, the Lesnar-Joe match was solid and intense and I enjoyed it. Joe was elevated in defeat, although I'm not sure where he goes from here as it's probably the last time Brock will wrestle until SummerSlam when he defends against Reigns.

Speaking of Reigns: Does the finish of the ambulance match signal the beginning of a turn? It certainly doesn't mean the end of the Roman-Strowman feud, it just intensifies it. The match itself was a blast, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Hardys vs Cesaro and Sheamus was very good too. Hopefully soon we'll see Matt and Jeff go their separate ways (WITHOUT feuding again) and be the singles stars they are instead of messing about in the tag division as almost a nostalgia act.

Poor Enzo. Another cracking promo before the inevitable squash defeat. I think he wasted his hot comeback time on the microphone before the match. On the other hand, Cass looks like a million bucks. He's going to pick up steam as a heel very quickly, because his mannerisms and demeanor are excellent.

Joe V Brock was an excellent sprint of a match, finish slightly anticlimactic, would've loved another 5 minutes but it was extremely gripping while it lasted

Braun v Roman was pretty class too, and I enjoyed the silly angle at the end

Tag titles and the women's match made the undercard worth watching. Cruiserweights on the pre show was good, but with a wank finish, glad they're doing a rematch

Rollins v Wyatt was a yawn. Miz v Ambrose similar really, I thought the point of the Miztourage was cos Miz and Maryse were having a domestic? 

Don't see the singles potential in Enzo or Cass. Enzo is a sloppy wrestler and has zero credibility despite his obvious upside, Cass has some seriously shit new music and I wonder how much people are going to care when he's not facing Enzo. Think they're going to regret splitting them up, should've been the New Day instead. 

Decent event overall, better than Extreme Rules and recent Smackdown PPVs but not as good as Payback, imo.

• Paid Members

The main event felt underwhelming. I don't know what I expected, and I don't know what they could've done differently, but the build up to that match hooked me massively, whereas now I'm just going to go back to reading the spoilers. 

It felt a bit like Ryback vs. Punk at Hell in a Cell. Something clicks, but instead of pulling the trigger and changing direction, you stay with what your original plan was. 

• Paid Members

One F5 and he's done- Joe must be a right chump to not kick out of that once. Was good while it lasted, but far from quenched my thirst for a Joe/Brock match. Not sure why I had my hopes up for Brock doing more than 5 mins work.