Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

And I still feel they could have Braun challenge Brock again without the need of the case. He's over like rover and can do no wrong.

I get that, but in an era where people are decrying the "cash in" as played out and predictable, Braun calling his shot is a bit more interesting. And it gave him a PPV to stand tall at the end instead of Reigns. It makes his match with Brock bigger still and him look even better when he wins.

Or dumb as fuck if he loses.

Ronda Rousey just carried Nia Jax to the best match of her career, how nuts is that ?!

AJ/Nakamura finally delivered a match worthy of both guys talent, what an absolute cracker. I’ll admit I was struggling to get into it for the first few minutes largely because of my apathy towards the booking of these two lately but once it got going they had me reeled in all the way. The entire finishing sequence involving the Styles Clash and everything after is the best thing Shinsuke has done in the WWE by a country mile, it was just sublime.

Glad big Braun won but I don’t want to see him cash in “in advance”, I’d much rather he cash in on Raw for a shock win and they do Brocks rematch at SS. Either way, surely Braun is taking the belt now ?

• Paid Members

AJ and Nakamura had their best WWE match yet, and with the right winner, I feel. Move AJ onto Samoa Joe and Nakamura can go with Daniel Bryan or Jeff Hardy, and I'd be very happy with that. 

Rollins Vs Elias was very good as well I thought, the closing stretch was really exciting and I struggled with who I thought would come out on top at the end. 

Very happy with Braun winning the briefcase. He needs to just challenge Brock for SummerSlam, tell him he has two months to try and get ready before he gets these hands. Job done. Have Strowman beat Brock clean and give the run to Braun. If it doesn't work long term with Brian, then so be it, but either he or Rollins is the right guy for now. It sure as hell isn't Roman, that much has been made clear. 

I don't get Braun winning. Briefcase winners have previously been either sneaky individuals looking to take advantage of a beat-down, or those focused on an opponent, and looking to seal a title match despite - perhaps - not being next in line. Braun is neither of these things. He should be highlighted in title contention by mowing down the opposition and 'taking' what he believes is rightfully his. It's different, maybe. But monsters shouldn't need this advantage. Meh, ignore me. I just wanted it to be Miz...   

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

I just wanted it to be Miz...   

This is the best argument against Braun. The best stories that could have been told with the briefcase would have been on SmackDown. Especially if Bryan wins the belt.

• Paid Members
On 6/18/2018 at 3:46 PM, Accident Prone said:

It's just what I prefer the case to be; a tool to give those upper carders an extra kick up the arse. Give them to sneaky heels who'll lurk around whenever the cha,p is in danger or those underdog white-meat babyfaces who'll announce their cash-in way in advance. It's a much better use of the gimmick than just handing it to those who are all ready incredibly over. 

That only works if there is an upper-carder who they actually want to get to the next level though. If you have someone win the case and then either lose the cash in, or have a short unmemorable run with the belt, then it'll do far more harm than good. I mean, there's probably a storyline in someone losing the cash in match and it driving them totally loopy but I can't see WWE ever fully committing to something like that.

Besides the more Corbins, Sandows and Swaggers that win it then the less value the case has.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

That only works if there is an upper-carder who they actually want to get to the next level though. If you have someone win the case and then either lose the cash in, or have a short unmemorable run with the belt, then it'll do far more harm than good. I mean, there's probably a storyline in someone losing the cash in match and it driving them totally loopy but I can't see WWE ever fully committing to something like that.

Besides the more Corbins, Sandows and Swaggers that win it then the less value the case has.

Who in the men's match is on-par with a Swagger or Corbin? Joe, Balor and Owens would have been spotlighted brilliantly with a MITB win. There's an argument to be made that Roode isn't ready yet and Rusev their hot/cold on, but the other three are prime for that next level. And if it fails? Well it's worth the risk. There's so many interesting stories to be played with the case, and having Braun win doesn't do much to spark the imagination and just comes across as plain lazy.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Who in the men's match is on-par with a Swagger or Corbin? Joe, Balor and Owens would have been spotlighted brilliantly with a MITB win. There's an argument to be made that Roode isn't ready yet and Rusev their hot/cold on, but the other three are prime for that next level. And if it fails? Well it's worth the risk. There's so many interesting stories to be played with the case, and having Braun win doesn't do much to spark the imagination and just comes across as plain lazy.

That's my point though. If you shine a spotlight on someone then they sort of need to do something in it. They can be entertaining holding the case, and teasing a cash in, but it'll all be for nothing if WWE doesn't end up giving them a decent run with the title. They'll just look like a total loser.

Those three are over anyway. Not holding the case doesn't hurt them at all and it means they can keep developing without the added pressure of having to be shoved into the title scene at some point.

So, aye, I think Braun was the smart move. If you aren't 100% committed to creating a new star then you are as well giving the case to the guy you're pushing anyway. That way it protects the case, and the title, and you don't risk fucking up someone else by hotshotting them at the wrong time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Extreme Rules Card:

WWE championship
AJ Styles (c) vs. Rusev

Extreme Rules
Raw women's championship

Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Nia Jax

30-minute Iron Man match
Intercontinental championship

Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Seth Rollins

SmackDown women's championship
Carmella (c) vs. Asuka

United States championship
Jeff Hardy (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

SmackDown tag team championships
The Bludgeon Brothers (c) vs. Team Hell No (Daniel Bryan & Kane)

Raw tag team championships
Matt Hardy & Bray Wyatt (c) vs. The B-Team (Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel)

Bobby Lashley vs. Roman Reigns

I'm not sure this is any better looking than the Money In The Bank card, but that show ended up being a bit better than I expected it to so hopefully it'll be more of the same here. The Smackdown Tag Titles match, WWE championship match and the I.C title match look like the matches that need to deliver for this to be a good show.

It's hard at the minute to see what direction things will be heading going into SummerSlam, so whilst I don't expect Rusev to win, there could be a short term change to allow AJ to chase again. I would put the IC title back on Rollins unless there are plans for him to move up into the Universal title picture. If there aren't, I'd put Seth over here and on the next night on Raw, then Drew can try and stand up for his mate Dolph by laying out Rollins afterwards. The way things are at the minute though, Rollins should be challenging and beating Brock for the belt, not Nicholas Anelka's cousin, Roman Reigns. 

Edited by WeeAl