UFC at MSG

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

He may have coming off looking stupid at the time but he still ended up making $15 million dollars and smashed the ppv record a couple of months later.

But i do agree than constantly pissing off the UFC is not in his best interests though.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think almost every analyst has said that the 4 billion tag was due to the huge success of 2015 and early 2016. That success is based almost exclusively on McGregor and Rousey. Whilst being a headache to his employers might not be the best option (only time will tell), one thing that's a certainty is that any and all plans the new investors have must involve Conor or Ronda. Without them, the numbers won't be anywhere near what they were last year.

I also think it's super, super naive to think that, should Conor and Ronda walk away, new stars will just, "come along." You only have to look at the roster as whole to see how difficult it is to make stars out of the majority of fighters. 95% of these chumps don't even cell anyone out when asked to, for fuck's sake. None of them would even dream about grabbing belts off tables, or getting their jet pilot to insult their opponent's jet. "Even in the skies I'm coming to get him!"

And finally, yeah, that, "Beg Me," tweet was actually aimed at Alvarez, so in that instance Conor was actually doing better than the UFC, building interest in the biggest and best fight for him. Khabib can sign all the contracts he wants. Nobody will give a fuck if he gets the shot.

EDIT: The full card for UFC 205 is to be announced at a press conference tomorrow at 6pm ET, at Madison Square Garden. If Conor isn't in the air flying to New York as we speak then they're going to have an awkward press conference very similar to that UFC 200 one, where all anyone wanted to talk about was where the hell Conor was.

• Paid Members

I suspect things are going to be ironed out just in time for when tickets go on sale, we'll get the McGregor vs. Alvarez fight, and Khabib is going to be absolutely furious for being used as a negotiation tactic.

Mystic Supes!

Poor Khabib though. I bet he's livid.

• Paid Members

Indeed. Although, I suppose if you're Khabib, waiting a fight could potentially mean Red Panty money and I fancy him to maul either fighter.

I guess it turns out McGregor does know what he's doing then and UFC are into money once more. Do we reckon this breaks the last McGregor show PPV record?

I think that puts to bed any discussion about Conor being a bad businessman. Two highest purses in MMA history, biggest buy rate in UFC history and now he inexplicably gets to keep his FW title whilst he pisses off on another flight of fancy.

What a man.

• Paid Members

There's a pretty big Irish community in NYC I'm guessing? Also not super far from Boston, and with the marquee value of it being the first UFC card in New York, having McGregor on this show (in addition to all the other advantages having him headline brings) makes so much sense. 

You have to assume if he beats Alvarez he vacates the FW title pretty much immediately having achieved the two weight champion goal. 

I guess it turns out McGregor does know what he's doing then and UFC are into money once more. Do we reckon this breaks the last McGregor show PPV record?

Or, it could be that the UFC know what they're doing, and that McGregor realised that they were serious about going with Khabib for the big NY show, forcing him to play ball?

Both scenarios are just as plausible.

Either way, we get to see an exciting fight.

Archived