UFC at MSG

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Whatever he's done it's got him results. We don't know what he's like in the negotiations behind closed doors. I agree about the twitter stuff though. Some of the shite he was tweeting during the UFC 200 mess was plain stupid. There was a spell there where everything he tweeted seemed to be complete bullshit and it was heading into Chael territory for me where I just saw no credibility in what he was saying.

But I'm not sure him fighting Nate at 200 would've been bigger than the fight at 202. It might've been, who knows? But I'm not sure about that. I think the whole carry on with the UFC 200 fight getting cancelled actually made the fight bigger in the end. Maybe adding the '200' thing to that would've pushed it further though.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what I mean though, right? When rumours surfaced that he could be facing the 155lbs champion in New York surely the correct course of action would be to get in touch with the decision-makers and see if he can't make the fight happen? 

Or maybe grabbing his iPhone and hitting up Twitter telling them to "beg him" was the way to go?

• Paid Members

I doubt it happened like that though.

By the time fight rumours hit the MMA sites, chances are there's already been discussion between the UFC bosses, the matchmakers, the fighters involved and/or the fighters' management. There must've been for the rumours to even come from anywhere to begin with.

When McGregor's tweeting shit like 'beg me', which I accept isn't a good move, I'm guessing it's because the early discussions to getting the fight made haven't gone too well. Maybe the UFC tried to lowball him or he got greedy and asked for something ridiculous. And they were unable to find a compromise somewhere in between. Whatever the case, with two fiery personalities like Dana White and Conor McGregor, you can see how that could turn arsey very quickly. And that's when I guess McGregor takes to Twitter to try to force the UFC's hand.

I know what you mean. Being that adversarial with the people who pay you probably isn't a good idea. It might work in the short term but it's probably going to build up hostility and resentment in the long run. Hopefully McGregor will have been wise enough to have not spunked his money away when it does inevitably go sour.

Does he actually think those tactics will work though? Does he think that by being a cock on social media the UFC are going to call him up and say "okay man, you got the deal you wanted. Let's get this thing sorted"?

Surely he'd be better served ditching the hostile shite with his employers and going to work by promoting the fuck out of a fight with Alvarez? Put the company in a position where they simply cannot refuse the fight? 

He doesn't seem like a very smart man to be honest, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we hear about him at 40 years old living back in his old Irish neighbourhood with fuck all money. He ought to be hiring people to deal with his shit for him, let him concentrate on his training and actually fighting.

• Paid Members

Kevin Iole article...

Dana White makes it sound so simple. In a conversation with Yahoo Sports, he said he plans to have lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez defend his belt against unbeaten Khabib Nurmagomedov.

He also wants featherweight champion Conor McGregor to defend his belt against interim champion Jose Aldo.

Nurmagomedov told Yahoo Sports he’d signed two contracts to fight Alvarez: one for UFC 205 in New York in November and another to fight him at UFC 206 in Toronto in December.

Alvarez, though, is still campaigning to fight McGregor, and McGregor, who began the year with the stated goal of winning a world title in a second weight class, has made it seem like he wants Alvarez.

Usually, because he is such a massive draw, whatever McGregor wants, he gets.

Adding further to the confusion of who may fight whom for which title, UFC Tonight reported on Fox Sports 1 that McGregor is injured.

That is supposedly why White was pushing an Alvarez-Nurmagomedov fight.

But White said McGregor is not injured and is able to fight.

“Conor’s foot is hurt, but he thinks he can fight,” White said. “I want him to fight Aldo.”

As for the 23-0 Nurmagomedov, White said simply, “He is the No. 1 contender.”

Nurmagomedov reached out to Yahoo Sports to blast Alvarez and make his case for the title shot. He so wants to fight for a belt – any belt – that should challenger Dan Henderson be injured before his middleweight championship fight with Michael Bisping at UFC 204, Nurmagomedov said he would step in to fight Bisping.

“That would be no problem,” Nurmagomedov said.

That’s not happening, perhaps the only thing in this strange saga that we’re sure about. The UFC is holding a news conference in New York on Tuesday to announce the card for UFC 205 on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden, and it says only that “The stars of UFC 205” will attend.

So Dana wants Alvarez to fight Khabib. Dana wants McGregor to fight Aldo. Khabib has signed to fight Alvarez. But Alvarez still wants to fight McGregor. McGregor wants to fight Alvarez. And Khabib also wants to fight Bisping.

You still following? What the fuck man.

• Paid Members

In a year where it's more important than ever that they do the biggest fights possible, to make the most money possible, it seems bonkers to me that Dana doesn't want to do Alvarez vs. McGregor.

Neither Aldo vs. McGregor or Alvarez vs. Khabib would get half as much interest. It's either a grudge thing, where they want to show everyone who is in charge in spite of themselves, or the Fertittas and Joe Silva leaving has really done a number on their ability to see where the money is and what the fans want to see.

• Paid Members

The thing is, McGregor vs Aldo 2 could've been massive if the fight hadn't ended in fucking seconds. Those two are so perfect as rivals. They have some kind of chemistry whenever they're on camera together that makes you want to see them fight. If that fight would've been the war everyone was hoping for, and then McGregor KO'd him, a rematch in Rio or Dublin would've been absolutely bananas. The story of the year long build up, then McGregor ending Aldo's long reign of dominance in a Balboa-Drago epic would've made the rematch humungous. And, like I said, they have that magic between them that would've really pushed it even more over the top.

But 13 seconds. I said it at the time but the way that fight went makes a rematch a very hard sell. I think it'd still do well. McGregor's at that point now where I think people would put their hand in their pockets and pay to watch him fight a mop. And there probably would still be an intrigue there of how Aldo would approach a second go around. But 13 shitting seconds! How do you promote the rematch and what the fuck can Aldo even say in the build up other than 'he got lucky'?

Still, part of me wants to see McGregor vs Aldo 2 badly. As amazing as that 13 second knockout was, it was a bit of an anti-climax after the awesome 12 months of build up we'd had. I still maintain it was the best build up to a UFC fight ever. A whole year pretty much, all the twists and turns, all the debating, the World Tour of press conferences. It was incredible. It might never be topped. Then it felt like we never actually got to see them fight. It was over before we could even really start enjoying it. So I'd love to see them go again and hopefully we'd get the fight we were waiting the whole of 2015 for.

I think the rematch goes differently, Aldo doesn't bulldoze in and gets clipped, it's not like rematches haven't gone completely different in the next fight, for an extreme example just look at JDS-Cain 1 & 2. If Conor didn't have the lightweight option the fight would be a no brainer, long term champ, loses quickly fights a great fighter like Edgar and didn't look in trouble once, he also won the Interim belt but obviously if McGregor wants to go to Lightweight he should be allowed.

This like GSP Toronto is a money thing, or at least a status thing, we don't know what each party is wanting and probably never will, pretty sure he will fight in the next 6 months and probably for a title, while it's nice to have events in little boxes, like UFC 200 or New York, UFC 202 proved that none of that stuff really matters.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I could definitely see the actual fight being a lot different. I mean, it's not likely to be done that quick again. But it's still going to be a pretty hard sell. You can do the whole 'can lightning strike twice?' thing but in the end, a lot of people are going to write Aldo off (stupidly IMO) in a rematch with McGregor.

What's Nate doing now, by the way? I take it he's just content to sit out until they can do the rubber match with McGregor, right?

McGregor vs Aldo doesn't do that much for me. I have a sinking feeling that Aldo would win the rematch. Plus, the story has already been told. You have to remember that McGregor and Aldo were interacting for over a year before they fought. When they did finally fight, we got a decisive conclusion. I think it's too soon for the rivalry to be re-heated. Alvarez vs. McGregor is the hot ticket. It ticks all the boxes.

McGregor could end up becoming for MMA what Pac and Floyd were for boxing. In that the Championship belts are pushed into the background, while the money and the opponent are brought to the foreground. I expect him to desire the fights that make sense to him, regardless of weightclass or rankings. Of course, this will only happen with the UFC's approval. They have to sign off on who McGregor fights. However, regardless of who McGregor fights next, it will be a bigger event than any title fight at the UFC's disposal. 

We'll see how things pan out. 

It probably is true, especially when Nate Diaz a guy who has been in the UFC 10 years and was easily beaten in his one and only title fight was in two of the top 3 biggest PPVs

I don't think anyone would be calling for McGregor-Alvarez if Eddie wasn't champion, hell Nate Diaz even said that Woodley and Alvarez should fight each other instead of wanting money fights as nobody knows who they are and in his own weird way he was right especially with casual fans.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I could definitely see the actual fight being a lot different. I mean, it's not likely to be done that quick again. But it's still going to be a pretty hard sell. You can do the whole 'can lightning strike twice?' thing but in the end, a lot of people are going to write Aldo off (stupidly IMO) in a rematch with McGregor.

What's Nate doing now, by the way? I take it he's just content to sit out until they can do the rubber match with McGregor, right?

He claims he ain't dropping his pipe until UFC pay him what big fight money. He hates fighting and is rich now. Nate Diaz won at life.

I don't mind Aldo v McGregor 2, but it's definitely the least interesting fight option McGregor realistically has going for him. McGregor at featherweight, in truth, is old news for me. 

Hes also not the brightest,in some ways he is but if his Brother didn't know how to pay taxes then he might not and both him and McGregor will get stung bad this week. They can't take his PPV cut but the NSAC can take a % of his 202 pay out. Chavez Jr got 20% of his $2 million pay out took off him for failing a weed test a few years back, they are meeting this week about the bottle/can throwing stuff.

• Paid Members

Does he actually think those tactics will work though? Does he think that by being a cock on social media the UFC are going to call him up and say "okay man, you got the deal you wanted. Let's get this thing sorted"?

Surely he'd be better served ditching the hostile shite with his employers and going to work by promoting the fuck out of a fight with Alvarez? Put the company in a position where they simply cannot refuse the fight? 

He doesn't seem like a very smart man to be honest, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we hear about him at 40 years old living back in his old Irish neighbourhood with fuck all money. He ought to be hiring people to deal with his shit for him, let him concentrate on his training and actually fighting.

Conor has made more money than any other MMA fighter this year by quite some distance, he must have some kind of handle on what he's doing...question all you want about the debacle of UFC 200 (and Conor admitted he fucked up), but the show ended up going on break the UFC PPV record.

I don't actually think the social media we see gives anywhere near the whole story, Conor no doubt has some kind of team behind him that help negotiate the deals and works closely with the UFC. The social media stuff is just snippets of info to keep the fans talking and keep his name in the press, anything he says gets the MMA world talking.

Moving away from that and looking at the actual fight, i'm kind of glad he isn't fighting Alvarez because i think Alvarez smokes him.

• Paid Members

Conor has made more money than any other MMA fighter this year by quite some distance, he must have some kind of handle on what he's doing...question all you want about the debacle of UFC 200 (and Conor admitted he fucked up), but the show ended up going on break the UFC PPV record.

I don't actually think the social media we see gives anywhere near the whole story, Conor no doubt has some kind of team behind him that help negotiate the deals and works closely with the UFC. The social media stuff is just snippets of info to keep the fans talking and keep his name in the press, anything he says gets the MMA world talking.

Moving away from that and looking at the actual fight, i'm kind of glad he isn't fighting Alvarez because i think Alvarez smokes him.

I'm not so sure about that mind. I'm not saying he beats Alvarez, but throughout his entire career Alvarez has shown a real lack of defensive skills and gets hit a shit ton. Out of the top few lightweights, I think Alvarez is the best match up for Mcgregor. Yes, Alvarez could attempt to grapple him for 5 rounds, but there's a big chance Mcgregor can land several flush strikes on Alvarez's chin.

Archived