UFC at MSG

ColinBollocks

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of people who don't get this is staggering. Reading a ridiculous amount of complaints on social media about Khabib getting passed over.

On sporting merit, yeah, hard to go past someone with Khabib's record. But UFC and prize fighting is a business first and foremost, and Conor makes way more money for the UFC than an unknown Russian coming in to rag doll Alvarez for 5 rounds. And as a reigning champion, with a win over a former lightweight title challenger- at welterweight, no less- Conor has a sporting merit argument of his own.

Then people saying Conor should be defending the featherweight belt. After this, he should, yeah, but if he fights early 2017 for the 145 crown, the gap between beating Aldo in 13 seconds and having a title defence is very similar to the ones of GSP, Velasquez, or Aldo himself. Conor has just taken a bunch of fights in the time some champs just sit on the shelf. It'll be 4 fights from December 2015 to November 2016. No champ is that active.

Give people super fights and they still complain. I know it doesn't really apply to people here, you're all sound folk, but just had to vent and let you all know about the idiocy going around.

The amount of people who don't get this is staggering. Reading a ridiculous amount of complaints on social media about Khabib getting passed over.

On sporting merit, yeah, hard to go past someone with Khabib's record. But UFC and prize fighting is a business first and foremost, and Conor makes way more money for the UFC than an unknown Russian coming in to rag doll Alvarez for 5 rounds. And as a reigning champion, with a win over a former lightweight title challenger- at welterweight, no less- Conor has a sporting merit argument of his own.

Khabib knows he's up there as far as title shots go, so either way he'll likely be fighting Alvarez, which is what he was originally offered (except Alvarez will be coming off a win over McGregor), or he'll get to fight Conor and make some decent coin.

It's a situation where literally no one loses really. 

Khabib knows he's up there as far as title shots go, so either way he'll likely be fighting Alvarez, which is what he was originally offered (except Alvarez will be coming off a win over McGregor), or he'll get to fight Conor and make some decent coin.

It's a situation where literally no one loses really.

Agreed. I'm massively looking forward to this. I'm actually in America right now, I dearly wish my trip was in November so I could attend the show, but it just doesn't line up with work.

Khabib will get his turn, but until then let's strap ourselves in and enjoy the Conor show.

Glad Weidman got his NYC spot too.

• Paid Members

Let's not forget that Khabib can't stay fit for 5 minutes.

Yeah he's got a crazy record but he hardly ever fights. It's hard to keep momentum going when you're that inactive. Especially when there's a UFC show every week. It's harsh on him but he can hardly be surprised that there are fights that'll make bigger money that don't feature him.

200 had 3 title fights scheduled, Jones fails.

Bellator had 3 title fights for their first PPV, card falls apart, PPV cancelled.

Strikeforce has 3 title fights, 3 boring decisions and their marquee signing gets beat off the now free agent Jake Shields (Diaz brothers and Mayhem get them kicked off CBS)

UFC 33, 3 title fights all boring decisions, main event doesn't air as they ran out of PPV time.

Just kidding but they should maybe stick Joanna on the prelim main event break it up a bit (they would have to start earlier though just in case the fights all went the distance, or have the prelims with just 3 fights.

Archived