UFC at MSG

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

If Conor wins at UFC 205, I think his next (maybe last?) demand will be that Dublin show. He spoke about being sick of Vegas in the lead up to one of his last fights, feeling it was too far and too expensive for the Irish fans to keep coming. He specified that if he had his way he'd do New York, a much shorter flight for Irish fans, and then Dublin after that.

I think even the biggest doubters would now admit that they'd fill a stadium with ease. He's a fucking megastar.

This is not a dig, but did he actually say that about the fans? Or did he just say he doesn't want to go?

Last quote I saw was that he was excitied for 202 as there would be less Irish fans and he would be walking into the lions den.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a shit how far fans have to travel.

As for fight in Stadium, I doubt it very much as doesn't make as much money.

For example Ronda v Holm had 56,000 people with a gate of 5 million where as UFC 106 had 14,000 people with a 10 million gate.

There's the interview, from just before UFC 196. Question comes at about 5:50. It was with the Irish-based SevereMMA, specifically talking about Irish fans travelling. Here is what he said:

"So am I (thinking about the Irish fans). Fuck Vegas, seriously. I want the East Coast next, if they don't give me Ireland give me East Coast. I'll go back to Boston, I know they're lobbying for New York. We had a great time when we went to Boston and the East Coast is not as far, it's a five-hour flight. I'd go back to the O2 no problem..I haven't outgrown my home-fucking-town. I'm still fucking here, I still show up here every day...I still do the same fucking thing. I'm still me. So Vegas for this one, Vegas for the next one probably because of UFC 200 - I did commit to that... One or two more West Coast then East Coast, then Dublin; then it's Dublin all the fucking way. That's what I'm thinking."

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it, they could probably sell out Fenway Park or even maybe Gillette Stadium in Boston with a McGregor fight by this point. There's so many wannabe Irishmen in Boston it'd almost be daft not to take advantage of them.

Would imagine they'd need to wait until next Summer for that mind.

Couldn't they do the same kind of thing they're doing with Bisping over here next month? Have a show on late for US TV? I'd imagine they could easily fill a stadium for something like that, no?

That strict curfews were/still are the issue, Dana said the authorities/council wouldn't let them put a show on late at night - let alone until 5am. And let's face it, Conor isn't fighting anywhere other than US prime time PPV anytime soon.

Sadly, I think that ship has long sailed due to his ever increasing stardom.

Ah, yeah. I forgot the whole late licence nonsense.

Not a chance Conor fights in Ireland, the Croke park idea was shot down even before he blew up so much as they can't get a late license deal like Bisping has so there is no way they are putting his fight on what doesnt go prime time in America.

Who actually owns the stadium? Is it a private company? Or the local Council?

• Paid Members

Couldn't they do the same kind of thing they're doing with Bisping over here next month? Have a show on late for US TV? I'd imagine they could easily fill a stadium for something like that, no?

That strict curfews were/still are the issue, Dana said the authorities/council wouldn't let them put a show on late at night - let alone until 5am. And let's face it, Conor isn't fighting anywhere other than US prime time PPV anytime soon.

Sadly, I think that ship has long sailed due to his ever increasing stardom.

Ah, yeah. I forgot the whole late licence nonsense.

Not a chance Conor fights in Ireland, the Croke park idea was shot down even before he blew up so much as they can't get a late license deal like Bisping has so there is no way they are putting his fight on what doesnt go prime time in America.

Who actually owns the stadium? Is it a private company? Or the local Council?

The GAA own it. http://www.gaa.ie/

But they need a licence from Dublin City Council for a gig, and likely won't get it due to existing agreements with the residents association re number of gigs allowed per year. It's primarily used for sports and is allowed X amount of gigs per year too - but they'll never get a licence to start that late, and may not even get one to run a UFC show at all if the residents object on the basis of what UFC is. You know the types...

• Paid Members

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Aviva (aka Landsdowne Rd) as a possible option. Given it's co-owned by the FAI and IRFU and although it is just as residential as Croker, they have gigs and evening matches there regularly - it was even rumoured for the proposed Klitschko-Fury re-match at one stage.

Bit smaller and less central, but still 51,000 seats for football, so closer to 60k for a fight you would imagine. Have to assume there is some reason it's not an option, anyone know?

Ireland's got way fucking tighter rules on how late stuff is open in general, I'm sure this was covered a while back somewhere on here. Honestly if they can't get a fight over there the next best option is probably Scotland/England with a late license for a huge arena. It's not quite the same but it's sure as hell cheaper than a trip to vegas/USA

• Paid Members

There's no way Conor is going to fight in the UK - the whole point of fighting outside of the US for him would be to do it in Ireland in a stadium.

No idea why the Aviva is not considered. I suppose if weather is a concern, they may as well go for a venue with 30k more capacity if they're going to bother. 

Also - a 3am outdoor show in Ireland would be cold - even in summer.

• Paid Members

It would also be noisy as fuck if you lived near the thing, especially without a roof, its the same thing with festivals and most of them are In the middle of nowhere.

You're talking about a one-off event that would do loads for the local economy. Locals complaining about the noise need to get over it.

• Paid Members

It would also be noisy as fuck if you lived near the thing, especially without a roof, its the same thing with festivals and most of them are In the middle of nowhere.

You're talking about a one-off event that would do loads for the local economy. Locals complaining about the noise need to get over it.

I don't think anyone would take issue with the noise at a normal hour. They have gigs there all the time. Springsteen bored people to death for 4hrs in Croke Park a few months ago, and the only complaints received by the council were that his songs sucked ass, and one person called the cops due to getting aurally raped.

But to run that stadium at a normal hour, UFC would lose literally tens of millions in PPV revenue. And even though it'd be 80k people, they'd still have a smaller gate than Vegas due to lower ticket prices. The only option would be to do what they're doing in Manchester with Bisping & run the PPV at 3am - which they won't be allowed to do in Ireland outdoors.

So it's a no-go really unless UFC will take the hit on the PPV, and I doubt them or Conor would be into that.

Archived