UFC at MSG

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

It's incredible we're only a couple of months away from the UFC finally doing their first MSG show. Anyway, I can see this card blowing away what they did for the underwhelming 200 and thought a thread filled with speculation and rumors ain't a bad idea before wand does his best.

All sorts of fights are getting thrown out there, most of them include McGregor. Dana has said Rousey isn't on the card. Will Don Frye finally return to win the big one?

Cerrone v Lawler seems to be all but confirmed, which is a monster of a fight, despite what dAz says.

So, what do you want to see? What do you expect?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one that seems nailed on is Thiago Alves vs Al Iaquinta.

I have the feeling UFC are waiting for the results of Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar's appeals from the drug test. If it turns out they were in the clear (or can successfully bullshit), we could have a card like:

Light Heavyweight Championship- Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones

Heavyweight Championship- Alistair Overeem vs. Brock Lesnar

Featherweight Championship- Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo

Chris Weidman vs. Nick Diaz

Frankie Edgar vs. Max Holloway

Healthy mix of NY/NJ fighters and big draws. Stick the likes of Jim Miller on the prelims. If Mickey Gall looks good in beating CM Punk, maybe he gets a prelim spot here too, being a Miller boy.

• Paid Members

My main card would be..

Mcgregor vs Alvarez

GSP vs Woodley

Jon Jones vs Rumble Johnson

Cerrone vs Lawler

Nick Diaz vs Chael Sonnen

Obviously Jones would have to be in the clear but I badly want to see that fight. Winner then faces Cormier. Nick Diaz and Sonnen is unlikely mind.

• Paid Members

I doubt GSP will be on this one. Isn't he not eligible to fight until December anyway because he only started his 4 months USADA testing thingy in August? Plus the December card makes more sense for GSP's return anyway, being in Toronto.

It's never happening but I still want Serra vs Hughes 2.

More realistically, didn't Dennis Bermudez call out Frankie Edgar for a fight on this card? I'd be well up for that.

Something like...

Cormier vs Jones 2

McGregor vs Aldo 2

Lawler vs Cerrone

Weidman vs Romero

Edgar vs Bermudez

Alves vs Iaquinta

Would do nicely.

Edit - actually, I think I'd rather see DC vs Rumble 2 and Jones vs Gustafsson 2 next. Or like Lamby says, Jones vs Rumble.

I think the following are very possible.

McGregor vs Alvarez 

McGregor vs Diaz 3 (provided the above doesn't happen)

Jones vs Gusty 2

D.C vs Rumble 2

Weidman and Edgar would make sense for the other Main Card fights (obviously not against each other)

• Paid Members

Mcgregor vs Alverez
Woodley vs Wonderboy
Jedrzejczyk vs Kowalkiewicz or Nunes vs Pena
Lawler vs Cowboy
Weidman vs Romero

Could see Edgar on prelims.

Thinking behind this is:

- Mcgregor draws
- Which puts huge eyes on Wonderboy
- The 4 women don't draw but add a title plus great fight to the card. 

Would like to see McGregor v Alvarez headline.

Think with a strong Polish base in NY we'll see Jedrzejczyk vs Kowalkiewicz too. Think it was a choice between this and the Manchester card for this fight and it's not looking likely that we're seeing it being added to 204.

Hopefully Weidman & Edgar get fights on the card and I can see Sterling & Al Iaquinta both getting fights on the prelims.

• Paid Members

Mcgregor's coach came out a couple of weeks back saying that NY may come too soon for Mcgregor, but he wasn't ruling it out.

I know he will want to fight on the card, but something tells me he may decide to opt against it. Going into this fight he was complaining of burn out due to his hectic schedule, and if the lightweight title is on the line I'm not sure he would rush into it. 

If Mcgregor does end up being unavailable, on top of Rousey, Jones and GSP being unavailable, then NY will seriously lack the star power it needs to be a blockbuster event. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So with the deflating announcement of Gastelum being Robbie Lawler's replacement against Donald Cerrone, and Liz Carmouche vs. Katlyn Chookagian recently announced, UFC 205 currently looks very underwelming.

Obviously there's a lot of big fights to come, but it seems like a lot of the big fights they want are struggling to come together. GSP and Rousey are definitely out and it seems like Mcgregor could struggle to make the card. I've heard one rumour that what's holding up the annoucement is Mcgregor's unwillingness to relinquish the featherweight belt if he fights Alvarez.

He seems desperate to achieve his feat of a 2 weight champion (at the same time) and personally I think the UFC should allow him the right to at least try and achieve it. He was supposed to face RDA who subsequently pulled out and without hesitation accepted a short notice replacement.

Archived