UFC at MSG

ColinBollocks

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll probably be Cormier-Johnson (been talking smack to each other on Twitter) I would guess, if McGregor isn't fighting, with no GSP or Rousey, they can't just magic up big main events.

Jones and the Diaz brothers are the only needle movers they can get, maybe Anderson against the right opponent but none of those are million buys, unless they have the right opponent.

With GSP out, Jones and Lesnar still dealing with USADA, McGregor might not be prepared, and Rousey simply being a little bitch with no excuse why she can't return for this card, it's looking like fans will have to accept that it's not going to be some monumentally booked card because it's the first time in NYC. I don't think it was unrealistic for fans to expect it, but we're going to have to settle for what looks to be a pretty strong PPV card, just without the megastars people were expecting. If the card being built ends up being:

Cormier vs. Johnson II (LHW Title)

Woodley vs. Wonderboy (WW Title)

Weidman vs. Romero

Cerrone vs. Gasteleum

Edgar vs. Holloway

... That's a very good card. Maybe not big on draws, but I can't see the action disappointing.

• Paid Members

I posted in the MMA news thread because I forgot this thread existed but Weidman vs Romero and Edgar vs Stephens are on tap according to MMAMania.

So the card at the minute is looking like this...

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson - Welterweight Title

Chris Weidman vs Yoel Romero

Rashad Evans vs Tim Kennedy

Frankie Edgar vs Jeremy Stephens

Donald Cerrone vs Kelvin Gastelum

Thiago Alves vs Al Iaquinta

Gian Villante vs Marcos Rogerio de Lima

Liz Carmouche vs Katlyn Chookagian

All it needs is a big main event and that's a brilliant card IMO. Problem is what do you put on top? Cormier vs Rumble 2 is a great fight but I don't even think that's a blockbuster to top this one. It's probably the best option they have of what's available though. But DC was saying he'd rather fight at UFC 207 which is the big New Year's PPV on December 30th. I think this card needs it more though. They should have more headlining options for December. Woodley vs Wonderboy, interesting a fight as it is, just isn't doing it for me as the first UFC main event in MSG.

Lesnar still dealing with USADA

Lesnar mightn't have been a real option anyway. I think 200 was a one-off thing. Brock talked about possibly fighting again but I never heard anything from WWE's side to suggest they'd be OK with that. And Brock only fought at 200 because WWE OK'd it. I don't think that means the UFC could just dip their hand into WWE's roster whenever they like and have a borrow of Brock whenever there's a big show coming up.

and Rousey simply being a little bitch with no excuse why she can't return for this card,

Why does she need an excuse? If she doesn't want to fight, she doesn't have to answer to anyone. In fact, the way she was in that Ellen interview, crying and talking about feeling suicidal and stuff, I'm not sure I even want to see her come back. To be as big as she was and for it all to come crashing down (and that hurts insiiiiide) the way it did, then the aftermath and pisstaking (deserved or not), it's got to fuck you up mentally. And she wasn't wound too tight to begin with. I mean, was GSP being a little bitch the last 3 years as well? He had no excuse not to fight at UFC 200, did he?

• Paid Members

Cormier vs. Johnson II (LHW Title)

Woodley vs. Wonderboy (WW Title)

Weidman vs. Romero

Cerrone vs. Gasteleum

Edgar vs. Holloway

... That's a very good card. Maybe not big on draws, but I can't see the action disappointing.

Doesn't have the superstar draw (but there's only handful of those) but it has a solid proven main event level fighter in every fight, i think that draws fine.

There's speculation on Twitter that McGregor vs Eddie is in the works.

Not sure about the source, but a few seem to think he's legit - https://twitter.com/TalkMMA?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit: Jim Edwards seems to think it's going to happen as well - https://twitter.com/MMA_Jim/status/776902318700781568

Yeah I've seen a few things suggesting that it's gonna be Eddie vs Conor. Don't take much of what Jim says as truth or news by the way, he's a clickbait writer.

There's speculation on Twitter that McGregor vs Eddie is in the works.

Not sure about the source, but a few seem to think he's legit - https://twitter.com/TalkMMA?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit: Jim Edwards seems to think it's going to happen as well - https://twitter.com/MMA_Jim/status/776902318700781568

Yeah I've seen a few things suggesting that it's gonna be Eddie vs Conor. Don't take much of what Jim says as truth or news by the way, he's a clickbait writer.

I was going to ask you, is that the same fucker who stood up at that press conference you posted a while back?

Jim - to save me quoting your long quote, short answer is yes. As said probably an alright bloke but a far cry from any sort of 'UK Based Helwani' and basically seems to reiterate statements already confirmed for his clickbait articles.

• Paid Members

In all honesty, I don't really mind click bait articles as long as they are well written and not bullshit. It how bills are paid at the end of the day.

If they are lies then it's different.

My problem is that's he seems to have sleazed his way into being the 2nd most prominent uk mma journalist when it comes to visibility whilst presenting himself as the way he does.

Hell, you recently have seen him more than GAD.

Archived