UFC at MSG

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

He was already a nightmare for them to negotiate with. Generating the biggest buyrate in company history is only going to make him even more difficult.

He's got every right to demand his millions though. Especially after they sold for 4 billion, making it more important than ever that they put on big fights that make big money to satisfy all those investors.

It's a shame though, as this will likely go the same way as UFC 200 and we'll have to wait a little longer before he gets back in the cage.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Does anybody know how many fights McGregor has left on his current deal? Can't wait to see how the next contract negotiations go, particularly with Bellator looking to spend some Viacom money and UFC not having the Fertitta loyalty card to whip out (I think McGregor was genuinely a bit hurt that they didn't bother to show for his last fight).

I think the UFC will continue to tell McGregor "no" until he's up for renewal, which I'm sure he'll remember.

Must be annoying though. They had such a great run taking a silly percentage of the coin, then comes along this mouthy super draw that knows the game and his worth to said game. Hopefully Rousey starts acting up too upon her return.

He was already a nightmare for them to negotiate with. Generating the biggest buyrate in company history is only going to make him even more difficult.

He's got every right to demand his millions though. Especially after they sold for 4 billion, making it more important than ever that they put on big fights that make big money to satisfy all those investors.

It's a shame though, as this will likely go the same way as UFC 200 and we'll have to wait a little longer before he gets back in the cage.

Of course he has every right to demand a decent wedge for his efforts, but the trouble is he has the tact of a gypo who's won the Euromillions. 

• Paid Members

It's interesting to also note that Eddie Alvarez is calling for the McGregor fight on Twitter. Looks like he wants that Red Panty Night badly. Khabib at 205 gives him nothing but trouble, both in the cage and in the bank account.

Without doubt Alvarez will be desperate for a taste of those panties. As you say, a fight vs Nurmagomedov, whilst great for big fans of the sport, does nothing at the box office. 

I don't even think either fighter has ever headlined a PPV either. 

I honestly don't know if it's linked to the featherweight belt or financial, but the beg me quote from Mcgregor seems to suggest the later. 

Right now, Mcgregor is essenitally bigger than the sport and the UFC.

• Paid Members

I found out yesterday that Conor has even crossed over to young kids, which was surprising.

We took my new son to visit family members. When discussing potential names that we had I said that I wanted to call him Conor (for the record, I was unsuccessful in naming him that, once I saw what my poor wife had to go through I decided there and then that she could call him whatever the fuck she wanted!).

Out of nowhere, without even understanding the context, my couson's 8 year old daughter asked, "What? Like Conor McGregor?!" It then came out that all the kids in my family knew who he was, that UFC was now this big thing in school and I was automatically the coolest person they'd ever met because I had photographs with Conor and I regularly attended UFC events live.

They probably should beg him.

• Paid Members

A lot of people were calling the UFC 203 buyrate a success. Yet UFC 202 did over triple the amount of buys. McGregor's star power is just on another level. He's probably the biggest drawing card in UFC history. 

I don't think you need to use probably Jim. There's no doubt. 

• Paid Members

The rumoured return of Ronda at UFC 207 probably gives the UFC more power than if Conor was their only huge drawing card on their roster. I still think she's only going to fight one or two more times though, if at all. I think Conor has surpassed her in terms of star power, too.

Surely they can't headline their first Madison Square Garden show with Khabib though, can they? Even their supposed back up of Cormier vs. Rumble feels very much like a poor back up plan, similar to UFC 200.

I suspect things are going to be ironed out just in time for when tickets go on sale, we'll get the McGregor vs. Alvarez fight, and Khabib is going to be absolutely furious for being used as a negotiation tactic.

It's not just Conor either, Weidman and a bunch of other lesser known fighters are still holding out for more dollar. What an irony that they've had to wait so long to get permission to hold an event in NY and now no-one wants to fight there. It feels like things are coming to a head. 

• Paid Members

Mmajunkie reporting that Alvarez missed the contract signing deadline for 205 and the Khabib fight is now set for 206!

Where's that leave Conor for 205?

It's like 200, how have they messed this up again

Who's deadline is that? Surely it's within the control of the UFC. Or are there commission deadlines?

Archived