UFC at MSG

ColinBollocks

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Unless he gets smashed, that won't be good for anyone.

Are they keeping the featherweight title on him? Any word on that? I guess Aldo will just defend the interim title in the meantime and act as Champion if Conor isn't stripped.

Are they keeping the featherweight title on him? Any word on that? I guess Aldo will just defend the interim title in the meantime and act as Champion if Conor isn't stripped.

My guess is that after the Alvarez fight, win or lose, a decision will be made. If he wins, he'll likely relinquish the 145lbs strap, and if he loses he'll go back down and defend it.

• Paid Members

My guess is that after the Alvarez fight, win or lose, a decision will be made. If he wins, he'll likely relinquish the 145lbs strap, and if he loses he'll go back down and defend it.

If he does beat Alvarez, it'll feel a bit hollow if he just drops the belt immediately. Like technically he's held the two belts at one time but not really.

Well happy for Alvarez. After seeing the walking interview he did with Helwani, I've really warmed to him. Seems like a great bloke and like someone who's really earned the big pay day.

• Paid Members

If he does beat Alvarez, it'll feel a bit hollow if he just drops the belt immediately. Like technically he's held the two belts at one time but not really.

Well happy for Alvarez. After seeing the walking interview he did with Helwani, I've really warmed to him. Seems like a great bloke and like someone who's really earned the big pay day.

What do you mean? He beat Aldo in 13 seconds, he's the undisputed champion right now. There's no technicality to it. He would be a concurrent two time champion.

I'm thrilled with the news. UFC 205 now becomes one of the best cards in history, quite possibly the best.

Mcgregor and Alvarez are both going to be at today's presser as well. Can't wait!

• Paid Members

What do you mean? He beat Aldo in 13 seconds, he's the undisputed champion right now. There's no technicality to it. He would be a concurrent two time champion.

I'm thrilled with the news. UFC 205 now becomes one of the best cards in history, quite possibly the best.

Mcgregor and Alvarez are both going to be at today's presser as well. Can't wait!

True. Say he'd beaten Aldo and then beaten RDA straight after. That would've felt like more of an achievement in a weird way. Now there's questions about him being able to make the cut, an interim champ and loads of time past since he won the belt. I just mean if he beats Alvarez and drops the FW belt immediately it'll kind of feel like he wasn't an active FW - more an ex-FW that went up to with the LW belt. Not really an active fighter and champion in both classes. You know what I mean?

• Paid Members

I guess it turns out McGregor does know what he's doing then and UFC are into money once more. Do we reckon this breaks the last McGregor show PPV record?

Or, it could be that the UFC know what they're doing, and that McGregor realised that they were serious about going with Khabib for the big NY show, forcing him to play ball?

Both scenarios are just as plausible.

Either way, we get to see an exciting fight.

I don't know. The fact he's getting to keep his belt for the fight, despite Dana saying he would be stripped should he not fight Aldo next, leads me to believe he's won this one. Although some bending by both parties has probably occurred, but who's to know.

UFC get their big fight for New York and Conor gets the chance to become a two weight champion, for the night.

I guess it turns out McGregor does know what he's doing then and UFC are into money once more. Do we reckon this breaks the last McGregor show PPV record?

Or, it could be that the UFC know what they're doing, and that McGregor realised that they were serious about going with Khabib for the big NY show, forcing him to play ball?

Both scenarios are just as plausible.

Either way, we get to see an exciting fight.

I don't know. The fact he's getting to keep his belt for the fight, despite Dana saying he would be stripped should he not fight Aldo next, leads me to believe he's won this one. Although some bending by both parties has probably occurred, but who's to know.

UFC get their big fight for New York and Conor gets the chance to become a two weight champion, for the night.

We all know that Dana speaks first and then thinks later though, don't we?

He's probably been told that after this fight, which will bring him nicely up to the one year mark from winning the 145lbs belt, he'll have to make a decision either way which is fair enough.

We've seen champions defend their title maybe once a year in the past. The only reason this is an issue for some is because Conor's been quite active.

• Paid Members

Outside of all this Mcgregor news, there's still the big thing of Chris Weidman missing from the card.

Weidman has been calling for more money to fight on this card and it currently looks like the UFC aren't budging. It's a real shame if Weidman doesn't fight in NY considering he's a new yorker, and more importantly did more than any other fighter to campaign for MMA to be legalised in New York. 

Outside of all this Mcgregor news, there's still the big thing of Chris Weidman missing from the card.

Weidman has been calling for more money to fight on this card and it currently looks like the UFC aren't budging. It's a real shame if Weidman doesn't fight in NY considering he's a new yorker, and more importantly did more than any other fighter to campaign for MMA to be legalised in New York. 

I thought Weidman was booked in to fight Romero.

- http://mmajunkie.com/2016/09/ex-champ-chris-weidman-vs-yoel-romero-slated-for-ufc-205-in-new-york-city

• Paid Members

Considering the work he did to get the UFC in New York, it would be a shame if Weidman wasn't on the first show.

However, even without Weidman va. Romero, this is still the greatest card they've ever put together. At this point, it might be worth holding off on that fight for UFC 206 or 207.

• Paid Members

I thought Weidman was booked in to fight Romero.

- http://mmajunkie.com/2016/09/ex-champ-chris-weidman-vs-yoel-romero-slated-for-ufc-205-in-new-york-city

Nope, it's been 'targeted' and Romero said he signed his contract, but Weidman hasn't yet due to reportedly wanting more cash. That's according to Helwani.

Archived