daniel bryan retires

Loligan

Daniel Bryan is - aside from Edge when I spent a year living in Toronto and going to the cinema to watch PPVs sucked me into caring about him - the only wrestler in the last decade I have given a flying toss about.

He could wrestle, he was entertaining, people who don't even like wrestling ended up doing the YES YES YES (there is a cracking video of the Brighton players doing it in front of the way end at Forest when they snuck into the play offs on the last day of the season) and he just seemed like a genuinely good guy. 

That likability can best be summed up by the fact I got back from a weekend in the Netherlands at 11.30pm on the night of Wrestlemania 30 after three days of far too many drugs, beer, a dalliance with a prostitute and hardly any sleep. I had bloody jury service starting the next day and a court isn't really the sort of place you want to turn up to without any sleep, let alone after that sort of bender. Yet I still forced myself to stay up and watch it purely because I wanted to see him become the champion. Can I ever see myself doing that again for any other wrestler? More chance of me covering my bollocks in honey and dangling them into the mouth of a bear who hasn't eaten for a month

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Off topic I know but Jesus, Low Ki just flat out went through every company until nobody wanted to hire him, didn't he? I don't even know if any major indies book him any more. What a tosspot.

The guy did indeed burn a tremendous number of bridges. Fucking up with New Japan was incredible, just when you think he's learned and will feel lucky that he's landed on his feet with a company willing to give him actual money and a decent push..... yeah.

It's a shame that he didn't get the final match and send off on his own terms but what a talent! When you get trained by Regal and Michaels thats what you will end up with. It's also sad because he can WRESTLE, not just do dropkicks in the corner and a diving head-butt. Similar to Dynamite Kid and Benoit, he was able to put together a great match just by wrestling and I often wonder what would have become of him if he had cut out the risky stuff. 

Its hard to tell what caused the issues with his neck/shoulder but it is clear that he was unwilling to protect himself from shots to the head and this is unfortunately the result. IMO you should never do something that will (in all likelihood) intentionally hurt yourself to 'get over'. Nigel McGuinness is another prime example of a guy who really could wrestle but instead done some stupid stuff and ended up retiring way too early. 

I really hope if this is legit that he just stays retired. As much as I appreciate his work I don't want to see him in a wheelchair in ten years. 

Off topic I know but Jesus, Low Ki just flat out went through every company until nobody wanted to hire him, didn't he? I don't even know if any major indies book him any more. What a tosspot.

The guy did indeed burn a tremendous number of bridges. Fucking up with New Japan was incredible, just when you think he's learned and will feel lucky that he's landed on his feet with a company willing to give him actual money and a decent push..... yeah.

What did he do to burn the bridges? I am not familiar with a lot of his work post 2005. He was doing UK shows for the FWA and that was the last time I saw him properly. What happened? 

He burnt his WWE bridge when he full pelt kicked Ziggler in the face at Survivor Series 2010. At satisfying as it was to the noodle haired wazzock get a wallop, it's still a full on kick to the head and Low Ki was released pretty soon afterwards

He got in hot water with NJPW after he wrestled a match in Hitman costume (the video game series, not Bret Hart) without telling management. Not sure how true this is, but that match was the last time he appeared for NJPW.

Excalibur flat out said that he no longer gets booked for PWG as he doesn't like to put people over.

Fuck knows what he's done to piss TNA off, but I imagine it most be bad if even TNA wants no part of you.

He burnt his WWE bridge when he full pelt kicked Ziggler in the face at Survivor Series 2010. At satisfying as it was to the noodle haired wazzock get a wallop, it's still a full on kick to the head and Low Ki was released pretty soon afterwards

He got in hot water with NJPW after he wrestled a match in Hitman costume (the video game series, not Bret Hart) without telling management. Not sure how true this is, but that match was the last time he appeared for NJPW.

Excalibur flat out said that he no longer gets booked for PWG as he doesn't like to put people over.

Fuck knows what he's done to piss TNA off, but I imagine it most be bad if even TNA wants no part of you.

To be fair, Hitman costume = a suit..

• Paid Members

Super Dragon said that the biggest accomplishment of his career was convincing Low Ki to drop the PWG title to Cesaro. The guy seems to think wrestling is real or something. A proper nutcase.

• Paid Members

Never forget, Low Ki once staged an in ring protest at a CZW show and a security guard walked out and cradled him like a child a carried him to the back. Look at him. He looks like a little baby. Funniest picture ever. He thinks he's so fucking hard and a security guard just picked him up like a little child and couldnt do anything about it.

34fd7qu.jpg

In fairness to Ki, the guy's talent is shockingly good. Danielson, Ki and Joe arguably created that hard hitting submission based indy style that everyone copied. He's capable of having amazing matches. Always found it funny that Meltzer defended him for years. "He's in New Japan and he hasnt had any trouble there", "here's in TNA and he's been no trouble there." Why defend someone who is obviously at fault for falling out with everyone he works for? Without fail he'll fall out with somebody. That New Japan gig could have have been a long term thing. They liked his style. He could have maybe been doing main events now. But he's just another Teddy Hart, it seems.

Was Ki's last match with New Japan that triple threat at a Wrestle Kingdom? Devitt and Ibushi wasn't it? That match was bless. The suit definitely added an extra something tbf, I'd applaud it but I don't know if they actually got in some legal shit for it.

Mad he's nowhere to be seen. Bryan and Christopher Daniels were obviously shit-hot back then but ROH's primary breakout star was definitely Ki. Would like him back in Japan

Archived