The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator

Also if anyone can recommend somewhere in or near Anchorage where I can stay for a week or so, that'd be good. Cheers.

A friend of mine was in Alaska this year so I just asked her for recommendations. This was her reply:

"Well, there are loads of hotels in Anchorage and the city isn't big so any of the 'normal' hotels would be fine. My advice would be to not plan to stay in Anchorage too long though because there isn't too much to do in the city. He should definitely check out this website

http://www.alaska.org/ it was a godsend when trying to plan my trip."

As always, Monkee, you're a diamond. Strangely enough you gave me some advice on travelling to Flagstaff the best part of a decade ago and that was one of the most memorable times of my life. Here's hoping this puts you two for two. Thanks again, to you and your mate.

• Paid Members

As always, Monkee, you're a diamond. Strangely enough you gave me some advice on travelling to Flagstaff the best part of a decade ago and that was one of the most memorable times of my life. Here's hoping this puts you two for two. Thanks again, to you and your mate.

Not a problem at all. She said if you need any more advice then she's more than happy to help out. I saw her photos of the trip and was well jealous - Alaska looks amazing!

• Paid Members

Not been on holiday for 3 years. Never enjoyed a holiday, they stress me out no end. Geniuenly to the point I dread them. Just booked a week in Ardnamurchan for May purely because my little girl has been asking.

Any tips on how I can get over the stress and anxiety? I don't want to dread an activty with the family. I have a very outdoor lifestyle so I know in theory I should enjoy these sort of activitys

I prefer to plan my trips myself so I can tailor it exactly to what I want to do and also save money but I also enjoy the organising part so if it's the stress of organising it you don't like then pay the extra and use a tour company to take care of the transport/itinerary etc. so all you have to do is be at the pick up point and then just go with the flow, like these http://www.wildhighlandtours.co.uk/wildlife-tours/

But if it's more anxiety around doing things in a group setting with strangers then obviously a tour like that wouldn't be ideal and you'd be best planning stuff yourself, so depends what the cause of your stress etc is really?

Edited by icke83