Paid Members tiger_rick Posted October 18, 2021 Paid Members Posted October 18, 2021 2 hours ago, Dead Mike said: Having dominated the evening meal market..... I did wonder if you could lift the pastry and crack in an egg prior to baking? Might ruin it. Watched a review of it last week. Looked a bit sorry for itself. Other than the fantastic pastry, the contents were like a tin of baked beans with some really cheap black pud and sausage/bacon chunks. The all-day breakfast in a tin is much better. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted October 18, 2021 Paid Members Posted October 18, 2021 (edited) 30 minutes ago, RancidPunx said: I’m 40. I have the cooking ability of a 10 year old. I have a bit of a mental block about learning to cook properly , as in i know i should learn but am genuinely embarrassed about not being able to cook at this stage.. Anybody else learn to cook at a later stage in life and how did you do it exactly ? I didn't start late for cooking in general, but in terms of cooking different things, I did, like Spanish or Chinese. First bit of advice is: start simple. It seems pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people try to take on complex dishes straight away. YouTube is awesome for recipes - I strongly recommend Spain On A Fork, as he really emphasises how simple Spanish cooking is: https://www.youtube.com/c/SpainonaFork Also, What's For Tea - nice, hearty Scottish food, tasty but not overly complex: https://www.youtube.com/c/WhatsForTea Edited October 18, 2021 by Carbomb Quote
Keith Houchen Posted October 18, 2021 Posted October 18, 2021 Take this shite to the food ponce thread please. This is for proper food. Quote
Paid Members Dead Mike Posted October 18, 2021 Paid Members Posted October 18, 2021 44 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: The all-day breakfast in a tin is much better. This was, and will always be the king of the tinned breakfast. Discontinued when everyone became too woke for reformed tinned offal. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted October 18, 2021 Awards Moderator Posted October 18, 2021 (edited) 2 hours ago, RancidPunx said: I’m 40. I have the cooking ability of a 10 year old. I have a bit of a mental block about learning to cook properly , as in i know i should learn but am genuinely embarrassed about not being able to cook at this stage.. Anybody else learn to cook at a later stage in life and how did you do it exactly ? Pick 5 or 6 things you really like eating, and find recipes for how to make them yourself. Keep working on them and don’t give up on it forever if it goes wrong the first time (I definitely don’t do that, nope, not ever). If you Google recipes, I always add the prefix “easy” or “simple” and that’ll often bring you a method that’s less intimidating to follow. Or get a tin or whatever. This is #EATCLEAN after all. Edited October 18, 2021 by HarmonicGenerator Quote
Moderators neil Posted October 18, 2021 Moderators Posted October 18, 2021 2 hours ago, scratchdj said: Taken about 30 mins ago. You wouldn’t be able to crack an egg in it, sadly. It was incredibly bland. IMG_2383.MP4Unavailable I thought that was a bold move putting it in without a baking tray Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted October 18, 2021 Paid Members Posted October 18, 2021 All this tins talk has reminded me of the Bean Street Kids. Lived on those when I was a kid. Heinz did some great stuff in the 80's. Quote
Moderators neil Posted October 18, 2021 Moderators Posted October 18, 2021 2 hours ago, Dead Mike said: This was, and will always be the king of the tinned breakfast. Discontinued when everyone became too woke for reformed tinned offal. London Grill was nice, I always enjoyed the hunger breaks (crosse & blackwell?) offerings - Full Monty, Mixed Grill, All Day Breakfast. You can't really beat them with a stack of tesco value bread. Quote
King Coconut Posted October 18, 2021 Posted October 18, 2021 4 hours ago, scratchdj said: Taken about 30 mins ago. You wouldn’t be able to crack an egg in it, sadly. It was incredibly bland. IMG_2383.MP4Unavailable I absolutely love the judgement at the end. You encapsulated beautifully what I thought when I last ate a Fray Bentos. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted October 18, 2021 Paid Members Posted October 18, 2021 4 hours ago, scratchdj said: Taken about 30 mins ago. You wouldn’t be able to crack an egg in it, sadly. It was incredibly bland. IMG_2383.MP4Unavailable Good that. Need a name change to scratchdplates. Quote
King Coconut Posted October 18, 2021 Posted October 18, 2021 4 hours ago, scratchdj said: You wouldn’t be able to crack an egg in it, sadly. I almost feel called out by this. I have an out of date tin sitting in the cupboard as we speak. Quote
Perry Posted October 18, 2021 Posted October 18, 2021 What the fuck happened with the Fray Bentos Chicken and Mushroom pies? they were spot on. Now it's just Chicken with a gravy rather than a creamy sauce. Quote
Moderators neil Posted October 18, 2021 Moderators Posted October 18, 2021 29 minutes ago, King Coconut said: You encapsulated beautifully what I thought when I last ate a Fray Bentos. You're banned from this thread mate Quote
Moderators neil Posted October 18, 2021 Moderators Posted October 18, 2021 Absolutely won't stand for any negative comments about fray bentos here FINAL WARNING Quote
Mr_Danger Posted October 18, 2021 Posted October 18, 2021 What people need to realise when it comes to Fray Bentos is that they aren’t buying £1 worth of pie, they’re buying £1 worth of delicious generic meat and gravy soaked pastry top. It’s those layers between the crispy top and the delicious filling where you really get your money’s worth. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.