#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

6 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Taco Bell do box meals for £5 and £6 with a drink here, is that not the case elsewhere?

Think it was about £22 for the three of us, so £7 each-ish. 

I'm not against paying that (3x meals in McDonald's would be the same), but I was just underwhelmed with the meal more.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

It's nowhere near the levels of Krispy Kreme  Five Guys and Nando's in the overpriced and hugely overrated stakes.

7 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Its totally in line with those and around the same prices here in Liverpool. Nandos and Five Guys are overpriced but class themselves at least as sit down restaurants more than takeaways.

Five Guys is an odd one. The alleged USP of a (decent but not spectacular) burger that's customisable is pretty crap when most places offer some perfectly acceptable (mixed metaphor alert) "off the peg" choices, or if you're a picky bugger like me, will give you your choice with the raw tomato or mayo etc removed. Makes me pine for the "build your own double burger" option at the old Varsity chain where I'd rotate any 3 from bacon, beef chilli, jalapeños and onion rings depending on my mood, at a fair more wallet-friendly price even allowing for inflation.

However, I do feel when you're buying the whole meal, you get decent VFM from Five Guys because I recall the portion of fries being absolutely monstrous. Eating in with a burger and one of those batches of cajun fries, gives me a fair few pleasant memories of heading back into the office in dire need of an afternoon nap.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, air_raid said:

However, I do feel when you're buying the whole meal, you get decent VFM from Five Guys because I recall the portion of fries being absolutely monstrous.

Remember when I first went in and asked for a medium fries and they put a cup-full in a bag and I thought, "Oh that'll be enough for me" before the woman dumped two more scoop-fulls in the bag.

• Paid Members

I’ve had the odd Five Guys and briefly had a GBK loyalty card, Byron I’ve always found decent but overpriced, but I think my favourite of that ilk is Almost Famous. Still recall my last trip… Liberty Island which they don’t do any more, plus Phoenix fries. I know burgers are usually beef for most people but give me a chunky slab of chicken with pig flavour accompaniment any day. Not that my beef experiences with Almost weren’t delicious too.

3 hours ago, air_raid said:

I’ve had the odd Five Guys and briefly had a GBK loyalty card, Byron I’ve always found decent but overpriced, but I think my favourite of that ilk is Almost Famous. Still recall my last trip… Liberty Island which they don’t do any more, plus Phoenix fries. I know burgers are usually beef for most people but give me a chunky slab of chicken with pig flavour accompaniment any day. Not that my beef experiences with Almost weren’t delicious too.

I didn't realise Almost Famous were becoming a chain. I knew they were here and had opened in Manchester when they had a fire. Cool to see them spreading out. They were one of the first "gourmet" burger places in the UK and our still fantastic.

Liberty Island burger is incredible and I'm sure is still on menu in Liverpool. I tend to go for the River Phoenix as its the first one I had there. That insane bacon hit you get always makes me smile. I'm on a diet atm so missing burgers alot lol.  

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

Taco Bell was pretty much a luxury for a while for me as I’d only get it any time I was up in Manchester but I’ve only eaten in the Liverpool one a couple times since it opened, mainly cos you can never tell if they’re open or not since the pandemic hit, the odd days they have the shutters on around the time they’re supposed to be open

My go to is any of the box meal deals with the fries as I love the ‘Mexican’ seasoning on them but I’m hit and miss on the churros if they have them as the sweet as I’m convinced they used to have just plain sugar on them not the cinnamon one while I hate the twists as they taste like overly sweet crackers

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

I've only been to Almost Famous once and it was really good. My friend wasn't impressed by the service though. She asked for some burger with a really hot sauce and the woman serving her looked at her and said, "Hmm. I'm not sure you can handle how hot this would be? You sure you want it?" and my friend went, "Erm, yes I do?"

When she walked away to get our order my friend said, "She's definitely right but I'll show that bitch."

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Liberty Island burger is incredible and I'm sure is still on menu in Liverpool.

Danny Devito No GIF by reactionseditor

Living in Manchester and working in town, I've always kind of taken for granted that I've got an embarrassment of riches when it comes to pretty much any kind of food I want.

Burger wise I think the best around here is SoLita but it's kinda pricey. They piss all over Almost Famous in terms of the actual burger, but you very much pay for it.

For Mexican, there's a bunch of good places but I'll always swear by Pancho's in Arndale Market or Oxford Road.

Anyway, I just had a Full English. In a pie. In a barm.

• Paid Members
On 5/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, BrodyGraham said:

Burger wise I think the best around here is SoLita but it's kinda pricey. They piss all over Almost Famous in terms of the actual burger, but you very much pay for it.

My work did some work for them in 2015 and I promised myself I'd check them out. Should probably get round to it.