Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

...that legendary DJ Alan Freed, who helped spread rock n' roll throughout the US, worked for a number of local radio stations after his downfall following a payola scandal, including:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Freed

During 1964, he returned to the Los Angeles area for a short stint at the Long Beach station KNOB/97.9.[54][55][56]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

...that the Cuban Convertible Peso, that the government introduced to stabilise the Cuban economy following the collapse of the Soviet Union, was notarised as CUC$ and was informally known as a "cuc" (or a "chavito", but that's less funny).

• Paid Members

that Looten Plunder, who's name checked in the Captain Planet credits (and has one line) is only in 14 episodes and voiced by James Coburn.

Edited by seph

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

The Grange Hill theme tune was also the Give Us A Clue theme tune for two years.

Alan Hawkshaw was a phenom. Obligatory “His daughter sang for Opus III of ‘Its A Fine Day’ fame” reference. 

• Paid Members

Today I learned that the opening piece of music in the Doctor Who episode Day of The Daleks is called "Guardian", and was originally 8 seconds longer than the version that was broadcast.

I honestly don't know how we coped before DVDs came along with their special features.