Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

I've met Brian Eno.  I was working on a game, and he was approached to help create the music.  During our conversation, he lay down on the floor and fell asleep.  Very odd fellow, apparently it's something he does quite a lot.

Today I Learned that Art Speigelman, the guy who wrote Maus, was one of the inventors/creators of the Garbage Pail Kids. 

I don’t think I knew this, but my memory is getting shit lately, even so, wow!

• Paid Members

...that Wild, the hunchback in For A Few Dollars More that Lee Van Cleef's Col. James Mortimer kills in a bar shoot-out, was played by Klaus Kinski. Didn't realise that was him; think it was because I saw the film before I knew who he was. Even though it's my favourite one of the "trilogy", and I've re-watched it many times, it still didn't hit me.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Mindy Kaling owns part of Swansea City FC.

There's a spin-off required when next they play Wrexham, isn't there??

• Paid Members

Just had a painful, three-jab appointment at the dentist (and this is only the first half - got to go back next week to have a proper crown fitted).

Had me wondering where the word "jollop"/"jallop" comes from, so looked it up - seems it comes to us via the French "jalap", which in turn comes from Mexico, a particular unguent called "Purga of Jalapa".

(Jalapa also pops up in suggested etymologies for the word "jalopy", in that it was a city where they sent old cars from the US for scrap, although the actual etymology itself isn't confirmed.)

• 2 weeks later...

Skip Bayless and Rick Bayless are brothers! I just never put it together. 

Skip is a loudmouth sports journalist, one of the biggest and most famous in the US. Rick is an incredible chef, one of the best in the world, specially in Mexican cuisine. 

Sounds like they had a very difficult upbringing and were never very close.