Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Heihachi's inclusion in the PS2 version of SoulCalibur 2 was a last minute replacement after a deal to include Cloud Strife fell through. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

...that Andy Gibb was the first artist in US Billboard top 100 history to knock a relative off the top spot, his single Love Is Thicker Than Water replacing Stayin' Alive. Also, a few weeks later, they got revenge, knocking him off with Night Fever.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

...that Andy Gibb was the first artist in US Billboard top 100 history to knock a relative off the top spot, his single Love Is Thicker Than Water replacing Stayin' Alive. Also, a few weeks later, they got revenge, knocking him off with Night Fever.

that is an excellent pub quiz trivia question.

My favourite along similar lines is that there's only one instance (I think this is true!) where a song was knocked off the number one spot by a song the title of which was contained within the lyrics of the first song...do you follow that? It was in 1976...

Spoiler

"Bohemian Rhapsody" was replaced at number one by "Mamma Mia". 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

My favourite along similar lines is that there's only one instance (I think this is true!) where a song was knocked off the number one spot by a song the title of which was contained within the lyrics of the first song...do you follow that? It was in 1976...

Hide contents

That is tremendous!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

...that the word "keening" comes from the Irish "caoineadh", meaning "weeping", and that it's the term used to describe that style of Irish singing with a falsetto break, similar to yodelling, like that used by Dolores O'Riordan. Apparently it was often done at funerals as tradition too, and was associated in mythology with the banshee.

Smashing bit of info there.

On 4/13/2022 at 2:00 PM, BomberPat said:

Reveal hidden contents

Don't Turn Around by Aswad was knocked-off the top by Heart by the Pet Shop Boys, unless I have misunderstood the rules haha. 

Former PM John Major's Dad, Tom Major-Ball, was born in 1879(!) and was a pretty famous circus performer around the turn of the century. It's also claimed that he was David Bowies inspiration for the character Major Tom from the song Space Oddity after seeing a circus poster in Brixton feature Tom Major.