Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

Not only is Natalie Imbruglia’s version of ‘Torn’ one of the best pop songs ever but today I learned that the guy who played the double bass on ‘Lovecats’ played bass on it, Katrina from Katrina & The Waves did backing vocals, Zero 7 did some drums and it was mixed by Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This isn't really a TIL per se, but I've not stopped thinking about it since it was pointed out to me. The very fine song December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night) by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons tells the story of a man reminiscing about a young courtship, but December 1963 is a month after JFK was shot and the US in disarray. Very amusing to me to think of this guy looking back at his knobbing exploits and no concern about anything else going on at the time.

Oh what a night,

Late October back in 2001, 

Get some fanny? Yes, I plowed a tonne

12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Johnny Cash was the first person to learn of Stalins death.

Funnily enough, I knew this one, through (I think) his autobiography. I was wondering if it could possibly be true, or if it was embellished and after reading more into it, it seems it might be, but he’d have been transcribing Russian, which someone else would have translated. And to be fair on Cash, I’m fairly sure he says in his book that he ‘copied’ the news as opposed to learned. Hopefully that makes this more interesting rather than pours cold water on it…

Edited by RedRooster

9 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Funnily enough, I knew this one, through (I think) his autobiography. I was wondering if it could possibly be true, or if it was embellished and after reading more into it, it seems it might be, but he’s have been transcribing Russian, which someone else would have translated. And to be fair on Cash, I’m fairly sure he says in his book that he ‘copied’ the news as opposed to learned. Hopefully that makes this more interesting rather than pours cold water on it…

Slightly off topic but that reminds me of one of my favourite bits in High Fidelity.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Funnily enough, I knew this one, through (I think) his autobiography. I was wondering if it could possibly be true, or if it was embellished and after reading more into it, it seems it might be, but he’d have been transcribing Russian, which someone else would have translated. And to be fair on Cash, I’m fairly sure he says in his book that he ‘copied’ the news as opposed to learned. Hopefully that makes this more interesting rather than pours cold water on it…

He was a morse code operator, so would have just been taking down the signal and presumably someone else interpreting it. It's likely just a tall story from his autobiography anyway, but it's one of those stories I'd prefer to be true than not, so am happy to leave it at that.