Crud is Jericho?

HarmonicGenerator

The thing with Jericho is that he hasn't got the ability to listen to anyone else's voice except his own. If I listen to his podcasts I want to scream because if he could reign in his mouth he could be a really good interviewer. His self belief and belief in Fozzy can be sickening at times but in fairness to Jericho what wrestler doesn't have an ego? 

Jericho is and will always be a good hand in the ring. Whether it's classics with Shawn Michaels or short returns to feud with the likes of Punk or Mysterio he has put on great performances since 2008 during his short comebacks. I always thought he was a tad overrated but in recent years I've come to appreciate the amount of work it took to get to where he is. That said, he will never be the mega star he thinks he is (I think he believes he is the best ever). 

That said, he will never be the mega star he thinks he is (I think he believes he is the best ever). 

He himself has stated many times that during his prime he was never at the top level of the guys he was working with and puts himself in a modern Steamboat category on card positioning. So I don't think he considers himself the best ever, not by a long shot.

He is proud of what he has done, but so would anybody if they had done as much as him with their lives.

• 4 years later...

I thought what he was wearing this week was a massive improvement on his New Japan and recent AEW clobber with the fedora, leather jacket combo. He looked much better clean shaven in that jazzy purple jacket strutting his way down to the ring. Had a 2002 Jericho feel to the whole thing. I actually hope he gets a bit of a run as champion while they build a few people up.

• Paid Members

I think with his Inner Circle surrounding him it'll be a lengthy title run until they decide who's winning it from him (Cody). 

He's not Mt. Rushmore, but at the end of the day Jericho is genuinely brilliant. He's able to festoon himself with new and evolving character traits, gimmicks and add ons that just feel like the kind of things you want all your wrestlers to always have. The list, the garb, the way he's pronouncing himself La Champion now in that daft French accent. 

He has this intrinsic understanding so many other guys lack that you should make yourself as effortlessly memorable as a Fast Show sketch. He knows how to get onto .gifs and fan signs. And it's all organic. It's not using some flash prompt on the tron, theme music cue or commentators hammering in some nickname on command - all the straight from Character Development Bootcamp shit you get with the NXT guys that can seem so forced and too well presented, practised and timed.

The guy's a pro. An entertainer to the bone. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

I mentioned in another thread a while ago that I think Jericho may be the one wrestler who has entertained me the most throughout his career. His reinventions are superb.

As mentioned, he's not going to be on the Mt Rushmore, but he's definitely now in that second tier. AEW are lucky to have him

And even that plays into his character, even if he might not have intended it that way. 

How often do you see the old adage of "carry yourself like the top guy" play out like that? Jerk around like you're the best in the world, miss the mark by a considerable distance and still somehow have it end up working well for you. 

Yeah, I'm having a Jericho love-in at the moment. One of the best also-rans ever. Who else is on that list? 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

And even that plays into his character, even if he might not have intended it that way. 

How often do you see the old adage of "carry yourself like the top guy" play out like that? Jerk around like you're the best in the world, miss the mark by a considerable distance and still somehow have it end up working well for you.

Absolutely this. Jericho might genuinely think he's an all-time great but regardless, the fact that he appears to not only makes him incredibly hateable but also adds to his aura. We know he's not a tippy-top guy. But he's close enough that it generates the thinking. If he was like, I dunno, Perry Saturn, it wouldn't even cross anyone's mind.