Crud is Jericho?

HarmonicGenerator

No what I meant was why do you listen to his podcast in general considering you state on page 2 you hate him, think he's a  hack etc. I think Kevin Smith is a cunt and he annoys me, therefore I don't listen to his podcast at all, never mind every week. Not having a pop, just interested. 

Jericho was one of my favourites in 2001-2002. I'd just gotten into wrestling and he stood out to me for some reason. The long hair, the tights and the humour probably helped to hold him back in the bookers' eyes at the time but to me he was class. His heel turn left a sour taste in my mouth however and I think that led to him being such a weak Undisputed Champion, particularly since I feel like he had more mileage as a face at that particular time.

His heel run with Jeri-Show and against Shawn Michaels several years later were great and I've really enjoyed his books when they aren't going on about Fozzy or whatever, but I must admit, he does come across as a bit of a bell. His podcast is difficult to listen to as many have said, so much so that even when there's a guest on that I like I find it difficult to get through it. Our lass listened to it a couple of times and remarked on how annoying he is.

Ultimately though, I think there's an argument to be made that boats were missed with him and that's why he's got a chip on his shoulder. The difference is, he's probably someone who thinks he made it to the top level, whereas in reality he's more like someone from a level below who could've made it with a bit more help. Perhaps it was his abrasive personality that caused him not to, I don't know. But he's definitely more of an Edge/Kane/Angle 'not quite the top' guy rather than a Rock/Austin/Cena as he thinks he is.

• Paid Members

Also, for me hate in wrestling isn't like hating Keith Lemon and not wanting to look at the Radio Times without vomiting incase you see him. My tolerance is way, way higher when it comes to wrestlers. I've sat and watched a shoot interview for 2 hours knowing I'm no way going to be entertained, but continued anyway just on the off chance it will get even half decent. Wrestling is pretty much "what have you done for me lately" hate.

That's an interesting point. Who is there that still has a good bit of name value and could keep up with the current guys for a month? There's the Dudleys, X-Pac, maybe Carlito and Masters... How's Gangrel moving these days? Has Bob Holly burned his bridges? Obviously most of those aren't on the same level as Jericho, RVD or the Outlaws.

That last sentence saved that for me, if Bob Holly or Chris Masters turned up on Raw about half the audience would go 'who?' or just turn over

At least Jericho or RVD have some name value, if Holly or Masters turned up on NXT I'd expect them to be losing in the first match

There are a select few in wrestling who's star rises above and beyond the industry, to the point where they no longer need to rely on the WWE for anything. The Rock is obviously the biggest example of this. Batista is well on his way to reaching that point, if he hasn't already.

Jericho think he's in this bracket. He's not. He's nowhere near. I would hazard a guess that a decent percentage of people who like Fozzy are/were wrestling fans first and foremost. The same can't be said for Guardians of the Galaxy or Fast and the Furious 387. 

It's a testament to Austin that people don't think less of him after listening to his podcast, because they seem to have had an adverse effect on the way fan's perceive almost all the others who have one (especially JR and Jericho). 

• Paid Members
But he's definitely more of an Edge/Kane/Angle 'not quite the top' guy rather than a Rock/Austin/Cena as he thinks he is.

Fucking hell, Daaaaaad! One of these is NOT like the others.

I'm not even sure I'd put Jericho on a level with Edge and definitely not up there with Kurt. While they have "never really being THE MAN" in common with Jericho, both had decent-length spells where we the wrestling fans accepted them as genuine main eventers and they racked up a few title reigns and had proper big time title feuds. Jericho was basically midcard for his entire run, except at the end of 2001 we all sat up and went "Wow, they're giving Jericho a turn," then forever later in 2008 off the back of his run with Shawn, we got to sit up and go "Huh, they're giving Jericho another turn," and then he leaped out of the midcard one final time in 2010 for the sake of a month with the belt just because it was a convenient way of getting him in the ring with Edge and crossing over the Undertaker/Michaels story, and it was fuck all to do with him actually being champion in the slightest.

Edge and Angle for me are in the "nearly" bracket, Jericho's down in the "had a couple of goes" tertiary level. He's Mick Foley!

Edited by air_raid

That's an interesting point. Who is there that still has a good bit of name value and could keep up with the current guys for a month? There's the Dudleys, X-Pac, maybe Carlito and Masters... How's Gangrel moving these days? Has Bob Holly burned his bridges? Obviously most of those aren't on the same level as Jericho, RVD or the Outlaws.

That last sentence saved that for me, if Bob Holly or Chris Masters turned up on Raw about half the audience would go 'who?' or just turn over

At least Jericho or RVD have some name value, if Holly or Masters turned up on NXT I'd expect them to be losing in the first match

Yeah, I initially went into the list trying to think of fairly high-level names, but quickly realised it was basically just people who'd be following Kendrick and Rhyno to NXT. WWE have done pretty well to get the oldish-timers they have got, to be fair.

But he's definitely more of an Edge/Kane/Angle 'not quite the top' guy rather than a Rock/Austin/Cena as he thinks he is.

Fucking hell, Daaaaaad! One of these is NOT like the others.

I'm not even sure I'd put Jericho on a level with Edge and definitely not up there with Kurt. While they have "never really being THE MAN" in common with Jericho, both had decent-length spells where we the wrestling fans accepted them as genuine main eventers and they racked up a few title reigns and had proper big time title feuds. Jericho was basically midcard for his entire run, except at the end of 2001 we all sat up and went "Wow, they're giving Jericho a turn," then forever later in 2008 off the back of his run with Shawn, we got to sit up and go "Huh, they're giving Jericho another turn," and then he leaped out of the midcard one final time in 2010 for the sake of a month with the belt just because it was a convenient way of getting him in the ring with Edge and crossing over the Undertaker/Michaels story, and it was fuck all to do with him actually being champion in the slightest.

Edge and Angle for me are in the "nearly" bracket, Jericho's down in the "had a couple of goes" tertiary level. He's Mick Foley!

I suppose that's fair but to be honest I'd consider Foley above Angle or Edge, even despite his shortcomings; he was a sustained main eventer without ever really needing to win the title before they gave him his short runs with the belt.

I might be giving Jericho a bit too much credit all things considered, but perhaps that's more down to the era in which he plied his trade. Edge's run came after the 'boom' had died down, and I reckon Angle's time in TNA has probably blurred my recollection of how big a deal he was in WWE.

You could've put almost anybody in Jericho's place and you'd have got the same results. An upper mid carder at best who was given a shot at the big time. And flopped.

His Undisputed title run was a flop, as were most of his returns. Nowhere near a main event wrestler in my eyes. Well below the likes of Edge, Punk, Bryan or Jeff Hardy.

• Moderators

Loved his WCW stuff seeing it after the fact, on a VHS from Outcast Video, and as an upper midcarder in the early 2000s, too.

The first time he came back after giving the Fozzy thing a go I was really happy to see him back but it has been diminishing returns since. He definitely comes across as a guy with delusions of grandeur and ideas above his station. So I could see how those qualities might shine through and make him look a right div if I had had the misfortune to listen to his podcast. But I haven't.

To me, he is basically a guy from a shit band who I used to enjoy watching but don't any more, and I have a strong suspicion that is pretty much confirmed that he's not anywhere near as cool as I used to think he was. So it goes. All of our heroes end up disappointing us. Yeah baby!

Jericho is an odd one. I enjoyed his work from his WWE debut til he won the Undisputed Championship, because he had some great promos and the wrestling to back it up, however afterwards it kinda all went a bit Ultimate Warrior in the sense that it flopped spectacularly, during that run. I loved the Michaels feud and the one with Punk, slip on broken bottle aside, but the returns and lack of anything different as he gets older is well a bit annoying. Change to a grizzled veteran who is wiley and hard to beat may do him wonders rather than missing the Lionsault every single fucking time. Also what was with the Walls of Jericho morphing into a Boston Crab anyway?