NJPW World

Sphinx

He had a really good match with Kushida at Dominion 2016 and his singles matches have remained good in Boston but he often does 6 and 8 man matches now. Last year was his last boss but watch British J cup just to see how over he is. 

I think he lasted the time as he always changed his style but kept being good. He didn't need the shooting star press so dropped it 20 years ago as the Liger bomb and brain buster are just as over when you build them as damaging moves. 

Switchblade being a heel, and hangman being positioned as a heel by siding sign Cody, I really have no idea which side you are meant to support. Don’t mind the odd heel/heel face / face match, but not a feud 

5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

This is a bit random. Haven't watched Japanese wrestling in donkey's years but I was big into it for a while so I skim through this thread from time to time. I don't have a clue about much of anything though and I'm not familiar with most of the names mentioned. 

Got to say though, I'm a bit surprised to see that Jushin Liger is still going. How's he looking these days and has he been working this whole time without any significant layoffs? What a run that gimmick must've had. He's been doing the Liger thing longer than The Undertaker gimmick's been going, hasn't he? You'd think a guy who worked that Junior heavy style so many years would've fallen to bits a long time ago. Has he had any standout matches I could check out over the last say 5-10 years or am I best to leave the memories be? 

Next year will be 30 years since he first became Jushin Liger. I don' know about his Japanese stuff but he has had some decent matches with Finn Balor and Dean Allmark over here in the past 5-6 years and had a nice little but with Tyler Breeze on NXT a few years ago.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

You'd think a guy who worked that Junior heavy style so many years would've fallen to bits a long time ago. Has he had any standout matches I could check out over the last say 5-10 years or am I best to leave the memories be? 

Liger's routine in singles for years has been mat wrestle, pose, do the surfboard for a pop, sell for his opponent for a bit, then shotei, Ligerbomb, brainbuster and/or take his opponents finish, go home in 10-12 minutes. He gets people to make noise so he's still worth watching but he knows how to get maximum returns for minimum risk. I was rabid for him in the British J Cup just because IT'S LIGER and I wanted to see him win something, but his semi-final was 2 minutes (hilariously) and while the final told a great story, he lay selling on the floor for most of the first two acts while Kushida, Marty and Ospreay did the work. Objectively, he's not the same bloke that lit up the 90s and there's nothing you'd go out of your way to see.

If I had to recommend one Liger singles match from the last ten years it would probably be against AJ from Rev Pro in Reading. That was really tight and Styles worked with Ligers limitations to create an enjoyable match.

The Golden Lovers Vs The Young Bucks I assume will be booked at the anniversary show now. 

Now they’ve moved up to Heavyweight that leaves no proper Jr teams in that division apart from Roppongi 3k, just scrap it and have all the Tag teams in the Heavyweight division.

Marty was the MVP in that match.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Thanks chaps. I'll have to give that AJ match a look, didn't know they'd wrestled. I'll look for that NXT match as well just for the novelty of seeing Liger in a WWE ring.

I'm not expecting early 90s Liger or anything, was just curious how he looked these days. I guess I assumed he must have retired by now. 

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Thanks chaps. I'll have to give that AJ match a look, didn't know they'd wrestled. I'll look for that NXT match as well just for the novelty of seeing Liger in a WWE ring.

I'm not expecting early 90s Liger or anything, was just curious how he looked these days. I guess I assumed he must have retired by now. 

Yeah, like air_raid said he's little more than a novelty act these days. Still capable of working in the lower card matches and getting a good reaction but his best days are long past him. He is wrestling Rey Mysterio next month at NJPW's show in the USA which might tickle your fancy. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Would love to have one of the black young boys tracksuit, but then then I ran it through a currency converter. Maybe not

I long for the days of when it was ¥222 to the pound.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EffingBoring/status/967178223934033921

This is a pretty cool short history of the golden lovers. I'm fascinated by Ibushi it's hard to find much stuff about him online. 

Thanks for posting that. I'm super new to NJPW, so still learning the characters and past storylines, but what I can say with absolute certainty is that I don't think I've ever experienced vicarious joy in pro-wrestling like I experience watching the Golden Lovers team together. They look to be having the time of their lives. I love them.

Edited by Supremo

I’m with Supes. I’m new to this business but I’ve watched the last three shows and enjoying it.

Never seen The Young Bucks before but they were great fun across the 2 recent shows. Flip Gordon is maybe a step too far into Jack Evans territory for my liking.

The Cody/Omega thing is good, and Cody looks to be having the time of his life. Ibushi is in incredible shape, what a wrestling look he has.

Only downside for me was Beer City Bruiser being spread so heavily across the shows. Not really digging that act. Does he work Japan often, or just mostly ROH?

Looking forward to the Ospreay/Okada match.

One of those Tongan fellas looks like an exact cross between Reigns and Rollins. Which was distracting.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz