NJPW World

Sphinx

Yeah, I attended the Sydney show. The arena was packed, several thousand fans there (would love to know the actual number), and they were instantly sold out of every shirt except the 5XLs.

It seems that the shows may go on NJPW World as they were filming, but I recorded the main event anyway, may chuck it on here if anyone's interested- Cody & The Bucks vs. Ospreay, Switchblake & Okada.

Finally subscribed to NJPW world. Threw on New Beginnings and had chance to catch the opening match (Yuji Nagata), the Will Ospreay match and the main event.

The one I enjoyed least was the Ospreay match, weirdly. Mainly because I couldn’t take to how heavily the story of the neck injury was being told, whilst at the same time Ospreay was busting out headstand springboards and what have you.

Considering I haven’t watched any NJPW since around the Samoa Joe/Kobashi era, what matches do I absolute HAVE to check out on NJPW World? I’ve got Omega/Jericho next on my list and...that’s about that.

Also, who are the names I should be looking out for? I’ll probably not have chance to watch full shows so will be pulling out single matches and besides the western names (Ospreay, Omega, Rhodes etc) I really have no clue who’s the hot shit right now...

15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Finally subscribed to NJPW world. Threw on New Beginnings and had chance to catch the opening match (Yuji Nagata), the Will Ospreay match and the main event.

The one I enjoyed least was the Ospreay match, weirdly. Mainly because I couldn’t take to how heavily the story of the neck injury was being told, whilst at the same time Ospreay was busting out headstand springboards and what have you.

Considering I haven’t watched any NJPW since around the Samoa Joe/Kobashi era, what matches do I absolute HAVE to check out on NJPW World? I’ve got Omega/Jericho next on my list and...that’s about that.

Also, who are the names I should be looking out for? I’ll probably not have chance to watch full shows so will be pulling out single matches and besides the western names (Ospreay, Omega, Rhodes etc) I really have no clue who’s the hot shit right now...

If you're short on time, I'd watch Dominion from last year, the G1 Climax finals from last year, and Wrestle Kingdom which took place on January 4th this year. It'll get you fairly up to date on the vast majority of the roster members without having to muddle through everything. I haven't been watching NJPW for ages (about 3 years) so I'm probably not your man in terms of particular matches to watch from that far back, but from the last year especially off the top of my head I'd highly recommend the Okada/Omega trilogy, and any other Okada title defence whilst you're there, Ibushi/Tanahashi from Power Struggle, Naito/Elgin from New Beginning. Ospreay/KUSHIDA from BOSJ finals, Ishii/Omega from the Long Beach show and Suzuki/Tanahashi from this year's New Beginning show. If you're on Twitter, I think Lariato has a really comprehensive list of all of his recommended NJPW matches which might help you out a lot if you have the time to pick out stuff from earlier. 

In terms of key players, you've got...

Kazuchika Okada - Currently within the longest reign of the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, and arguably one of the best title reigns of all time. The "ace" of New Japan, expect him to be on top for a good while with his proven drawing power and exceptional wrestling ability. Has had incredible matches with pretty much anyone involved in the upper echelon of the company. Current holder of the #1 spot in the PWI Awards and leader of the CHAOS faction.

Tetsuya Naito - Arguably the most over wrestler in Japan, even being able to exceed Okada in terms of popularity and drawing power. Former IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Champion, and the leader of the most popular group in Japan, Los Ingobernables des Japon (you'll have probably seen the shirt a fuck tonne of times) alongside EVIL, SANADA (former TNA alumni), Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI. 

Kenny Omega - The most popular gaijin in Japan at the moment. Burst into prominence by becoming the first non-japanese wrestler to win the G1 Climax in 2016 and followed that up by having one of the best matches of all time against Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 11. Currently the face of the companies efforts to establish themselves within the USA, a move which is so far going very well. Featuring currently in the most featured storyline in NJPW after reuniting with former tag team partner Kota Ibushi. Up until a few weeks back, the leader of the Bullet Club until being booted out by Cody. 

Hiroshi Tanahashi - The former ace of the company before losing to Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 10 to officially pass the torch. Hasn't challenged for the Heavyweight belt since that defeat but did have a notable run as the Intercontinental Champion last year. His current storyline seems to be the recurring theme of him trying to prove to the fans he is still capable of performing as the ace. Currently out of action at the minute rehabbing a knee injury, should be back in time for the G1 Climax at the latest.

Minoru Suzuki - Current IWGP Intercontinental champion. Notorious for his no-shit-taken approach and ruthless limb work in his matches. Reintroduced himself into the company last year with his faction Suzuki-Gun, but floundered a little bit. Had a killer match with Goto at Wrestle Kingdom and seems to be on the up again after beating Tanahashi for the strap. I find a lot of the time my enjoyment of him hinges a lot on how much interference his match contains.

At the top of the card, you'll also find Tomohiro Ishii (incredible, physical wrestler currently lumbered in the tag division with comedy worker Toro Yano), Hirooki Goto (current NEVER Openweight champion, who has the main character arc of choking in big matches), KUSHIDA (#1 babyface within the Jr Heavyweight division), Hiromu Takahashi (#1 heel within the Jr Heavyweight Division, fantastic gimmick of being a total loon) and Jay White (current U.S Champion, with a clean win other Omega, the crowd still seems tentative to get behind him)

Hope this helped a bit!

Omega hasn’t been booted out of BC yet, Cody attacked him , and he’s trained with ibushi as a see what happens, but he’s still in BC with a new BC team Kenny shirt just being released and he has chase Owens on his team this weekend 

Cards for tomorrow and Saturdays Honor Rising...

Friday

(1) Toa Henare & Katsuya Kitamura vs Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
(2) Jushin “Thunder” Liger, Delirious & Cheeseburger vs Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa & Hikuleo
(3) Juice Robinson & David Finlay vs The Young Bucks
(4) 3WAY Match: KUSHIDA vs Hiromu Takahashi vs Flip Gordon
(5) Dalton Castle, Jay Lethal & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Jay White, Beretta & Chucky T
(6) NEVER Openweight Championship Match: [17th Champion] Hirooki Goto vs [Challenger] The Beer City Bruiser
~ 2nd defense
(7) The Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi) & Chase Owens vs Cody, Hangman Page & Marty Scurll

Saturday

(1) Toa Henare vs The Beer City Bruiser
(2) Jay Lethal, Juice Robinson & David Finlay vs Yujiro Takahashi, Chase Owens & Hikuleo
(3) Flip Gordon & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Hiromu Takahashi & BUSHI
(4) NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag ChampionshipMatch: [14th Champions] Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs Jushin “Thunder” Liger, Delirious & Cheeseburger
~ 2nd defense
(5) Jay White, YOSHI-HASHI & Chucky T vs Hangman Page and The Young Bucks
(6) ROH World Championship Match: [Champion] Dalton Castle vs [Challenger] Beretta
(7) Special Tag Match: The Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi) vs Cody & Marty Scurll

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Will be checking out that Hiromu/KUSHIDA/Flip match tomorrow for sure. Plus, always fun to see how Cheeseburger remains the most over act that ROH has ever sent over to Japan.

Interested as well in seeing how the Golden Lovers tag matches go. I can't see either Cody or Kenny dropping a fall before they have their match over Wrestlemania, so Owens taking the pin on the first night before Ibushi loses on the second is how I'm gonna predict things for now. It would play upon the Golden Lovers being rusty as they alluded to in their documentary, and Omega still not fully being over the apparent dissolving of the Bullet Club.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

It wounds me that a match like Kenny & Kota v Cody & The Villain is happening first in ROH instead of "at home."

Yeah I don’t understand it at all. With BC being NJPW property seems weird they are letting all the story and matches go to ROH

Hey guys just watching the show live, (no spoilers here). So I'm assuming the Bucks are moving from Juniors to Heavyweights and facing Juice and Finlay is their first step in the HW tag division. They still look exactly the same (spoilers, sorry). I was wondering what does a graduation from Jnr to HW usually involve? Do dudes usually bulk up a lot and change style, or are we just meant to buy it when they say they are now HW's?

1 hour ago, Cheapheat said:

Also anyone know if it's possible to buy a young boys Tracksuit?

Do you mean the red ones? Yeah you can.

http://shop.njpw.co.jp/iwgp/g/g1881054287/

there is a black one also.

http://shop.njpw.co.jp/iwgp/g/g1882054292/

Regarding juniors becoming heavyweights, I would say some bulk up more than others but sometimes the heavyweights are not that big and some of the juniors are already farely big. Omega and Ibushi were quite big juniors and so was Naito but then again Ibushi is also not a big heavyweight. I think many of them stay a similar size and may get slightly bigger. New Japan is not a promotion where you have to be massive, none of Tanahashi, Okada, AJ, Nakamura or Naito have been that big

Edited by westlondonmist