NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

Plus Ibushi Vs Okada could be used to set up another Omega Vs Okada down the line if Chaos are doing the "heel" thing at the moment.

Full card for the March 6th Anniversary show announced

(1) Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jushin “Thunder” Liger, Tiger Mask, KUSHIDA & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Yuji Nagata, Toa Henare, Tomoyuki Oka, Shota Umino & Tetsuhiro Yagi
(2) Katsuya Kitamura 7 Match Trial Series: Katsuya Kitamura vs Manabu Nakanishi
(3) Juice Robinson & David Finlay vs Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano
(4) IWGP Jr. Tag Championship 3WAY Match: [56th Champions] YOH & SHO vs [Challengers] BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi vs [Challengers] Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado
~ 1st defense
(5) YOSHI-HASHI vs SANADA
(6) Special Singles Match: Tetsuya Naito vs Taichi

(7) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [17th Champion] Minoru Suzuki vs [Challenger] Togi Makabe
~ 1st defense

(8) Anniversary Special Day Singles Match: Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay

15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Right, for someone who knows nothing, what is he New Japan Cup? 

I’m glad we’re on this journey together. I’d hate to be the only wide eyed newbie in here..

The shows on March 10/11/12/14 have no listings for English commentary... is that just tough? Or will it be added later?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

33 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Right, for someone who knows nothing, what is he New Japan Cup? 

In simple terms, it's a 16 man single elimination tournament which is the secondary annual tournament they run behind the G1 Climax. It's taking place this year over the course of a fortnight or so and the winner gets to challenge for one of the three main singles championships in the company (their choosing). If you're looking to start watching New Japan, it'd be a really good jumping on point. Most of the main roster members take part (with a few omissions such as Okada, Omega, Suzuki and Goto being the stand outs) but it's a good way of familiarising yourself with a good amount of talent without gruelling your way through a G1. 

In reply to @d-d-d-dAz then I don't think so. I wouldn't worry about it though, I find myself preferring the Japanese commentary to the English one most of the time. 

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Cheers! Sounds great. I started with Wrestle Kingdom this year and I’m having the best time so far. Worried to hear there’s a chance not everything will have English commentary though. I feel like it’d be tough to watch without it. 

The more you get familiar with everyone the easier it is to get swept up in the Japanese comms enthusiasm. The announcers screaming "Juice! JUUUUUIIIICE!" when Juice Robinson upset Kenny Omega in the G1 last year was part of a tremendous overall finish to that bout.

• Paid Members

One thing to watch out for with the NJ Cup is that who goes through each round is usually based around specific things they want to achieve with storylines and elevating people rather than what will make the best series of matches. So don't get too hyped up about the possibility of a particular match happening in the quarter or semi-finals.

3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’m glad we’re on this journey together. I’d hate to be the only wide eyed newbie in here..

The shows on March 10/11/12/14 have no listings for English commentary... is that just tough? Or will it be added later?

There's actually a decent shot these will have no commentary and only have a couple of cameras. That's usually what happens on tour shows where there's only one or two tournament matches on the night.

• Paid Members

The English commentary is really good. I've dipped in and out of New Japan for 6 years or so (watching the occasional Nakamura match), but the English commentary makes it a much easier product to stay invested in, for obvious reasons. It's a big reason I've stuck with it post-Wrestle Kingdom.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Probably whatever you're used to. Having watched New Japan through various means since 2002, I'd prefer measles to watching it with English comms.