NJPW World

Sphinx

9 hours ago, Loki said:

Can't find a clip of it, but a scary and stupid moment at G1 Climax where Ospreay accidentally kicks Naito in the head and knocks him silly but they keep going in the match even though Naito can't stand straight.

Japan seems like the last bastion of the old-school mentality that pretends concussions aren't a dangerous thing.  Match should have been stopped immediately.

I remember Royal Quest where Kenta wins the open weight title and tries celebrating on the turnbuckle but keeps falling off. I enjoyed that match but head injuries should be more important than my enjoyment.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

for those interested tickets start at £38.50, it's a decent venue so that will get you a good view

Yeah, we were second to back row and could still see everything. Can’t recall what we paid as it was a few years ago now, but don’t think it was much less than that 

9oQvfkk.jpg

My parents are travelling to Japan soon and have asked if anything I want bringing back. I don't expect they'll be heading to a show any time during their stay, but is there anything cool or exclusive I should think about asking for?

I have a base level knowledge of NJPW (went to Royal Quest but I don't keep up show by show) so I'm not necessarily massively attached to any specific stable or wrestler. A little research suggests there's a merch shop near the Tokyo Dome/Korauken Hall, so I'd guess that's where to start.

• Paid Members
On 9/2/2023 at 11:49 PM, Daaaaaad! said:

My parents are travelling to Japan soon and have asked if anything I want bringing back. I don't expect they'll be heading to a show any time during their stay, but is there anything cool or exclusive I should think about asking for?

I have a base level knowledge of NJPW (went to Royal Quest but I don't keep up show by show) so I'm not necessarily massively attached to any specific stable or wrestler. A little research suggests there's a merch shop near the Tokyo Dome/Korauken Hall, so I'd guess that's where to start.

As well as the NJPW merch store, there's Toudoukan in Tokyo, that just sells every bit of wrestling memorabilia you can think of - merch, DVDs, photos and posters, masks, ring-worn gear, all the way up to some insane one-offs; in the past they've had Atsushi Onita-used barbed wire baseball bats (good look getting that back on the plane), and the actual trophies from a '70s AJPW World Tag League. They have trophies and belts that were awarded to Rikidozan back in the '50s. 

It's a treasure trove, so perhaps not the best choice for people who don't necessarily know what they're looking for, but definitely an alternative to the NJPW official stores.

• Paid Members

Don't ask for any DVDs unless you think they'd be happy spending £100 on something that would cost £20 for the same number of discs here ; physical media over there is ridiculously overpriced.

• Paid Members

Worth remembering if you ask them to bring you back a t shirt or anything clothing related, Japanese sizing is quite different. If you usually wear an L T-shirt, you'd want a Japanese XL at least, for example.