NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, JLM said:

Haha yeah Botchamania Maffew must be absolutely thrilled that Coughlin has given him the most on-the-nose "I AM THE TABLE" bit of all time. 

Definitely! I felt bad for him as he was obviously stuck there and didn’t know what to do, so he just closed his eyes 🤣

New Years Dash

Quite a shock to the system going from Tokyo Dome to this brightly lit gymnasium but still a fun little show

A slow start but then things heat up with a ten man tag match United Empire vs David Finlay and his goons. This is going well until the ref gets taken out, Gabe Kidd gets cut open and all hell breaks loose. The wrestlers start lobbing chairs from the crowd into the ring and throwing barricades around. The timekeeper rings the bell for a no contest but things keep going. Brawling everywhere, Gabe Kids covered in blood, Akira gets a fork to the head and then Ospreay launches Gedo through a table that’s against the turnbuckle. All this drama going on and the timekeeper just ringing the bell constantly which makes it seem even more chaotic. Loved it. Then Ospreay says his last NJPW match will be Feb 11th, which will be a ten man tag team cage match! Yes please! 

There was a five man tag with some big names, Naito, Shingo Takagi and one of my old faves Taka Michinoku but it was a bit steady. SANADA was also in the match apparently, although honestly can’t remember him doing anything. Bit of a come down from previous nights main event.

Then the lads turn up 

image.thumb.jpeg.3210f65c17f8aa2fe4db9b7bbbf1c23c.jpeg

High hopes but a ended up with a fairly average match against ZSJ and friends. Some good moments but could have done with a few more near falls and the ending was a bit flat. Not amazing not terrible. Mox and Shingo start arguing backstage and agreed to a no DQ match at the weekend, despite Mox warning Shingo that he’s the mayor of San Jose 😄 Show finishes with a terrible ZSJ promo, he was like a deer in headlights at one point

Will Battle in the Valley be on NJPW World eventually? I want to see it but not paying £20 to Fite for it

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Quite a shock to the system going from Tokyo Dome to this brightly lit gymnasium but still a fun little show

I'm reeling from the news that Dash is no longer at Korakuen. One of my few regrets about my trip to WK'12 was that I didn't get to Dome City early enough on the morning of the 5th to get my place in the queue for a walk-up Dash ticket. Or rather, to leave a piece of newspaper taped to the floor with my name on it to reserve my place in the queue until office hours while I got on with my day which, unbelievably, they honour as a legitimate queuing practice over there.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I'm reeling from the news that Dash is no longer at Korakuen. One of my few regrets about my trip to WK'12 was that I didn't get to Dome City early enough on the morning of the 5th to get my place in the queue for a walk-up Dash ticket. Or rather, to leave a piece of newspaper taped to the floor with my name on it to reserve my place in the queue until office hours while I got on with my day which, unbelievably, they honour as a legitimate queuing practice over there.

Would love to hear more about your trip if you ever get some time to write about it

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, waters44 said:

Would love to hear more about your trip if you ever get some time to write about it

I didn’t write anything at the time, other than how crushed I was that Naito lost, but I wrote plenty on my trips to the G1 ;

• Paid Members

Rave reviews for last night’s show, and then a ridiculously good looking card for Chicago in April. Mox and Naito! Takahashi and Mustafa Ali! Fucking hell. Another bunch of shows to try and find the time to watch!

IMG_7426.gif.2e73b39d0cbaab7c321a03edc1ba79c6.gif

• 4 weeks later...

If you have any time you should all watch todays show(well mainly the 2 main matches)

Zack Sabre Jr Vs Bryan Danielson and Ospreay’s last match(for now) in New Japan, Bullet Club Wardogs Vs United Empire in a 5v5 cage match with similar rules to Wargames.

Both jump straight into my match of the year shortlist.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I'd imagine long term fans probably want to watch what could very well be the last ever match between Tanahashi and Okada too. As a bare minimum, their last singles match both as New Japan regulars.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

As a bare minimum, their last singles match both as New Japan regulars.

24 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

All reports seem to indicate Okada is going to AEW which would surely mean he would still be allowed to work New Japan in the future?

• Paid Members

Danielson vs. ZSJ was the absolute tits. Maybe even better than their Wrestledream match.

In every way that the Danielson vs. Okada matches have never really clicked and they just don’t seem to have chemistry together, Danielson and Zack have more chemistry than almost any pairing ever. Could watch them grapple fuck forever.

Genuinely have no idea how they put those sequences together to look so smooth and intricate, yet never feel like they’re co-operating. It’s on par with some of the crazier Young Bucks matches where it makes my head explode trying to figure out how the magic works. Phenomenal. Match of the year contender.

Interesting that Danielson said they need to do the rubber match on, “neutral ground.” Butlins?!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Interesting that Danielson said they need to do the rubber match on, “neutral ground.” Butlins?!

Zack alluded to wanting to wrestle Danielson in Arena Mexico after the Hechicero match.

19 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Zack alluded to wanting to wrestle Danielson in Arena Mexico after the Hechicero match.

I guess would explain somewhat if the CMLL relationship may have stemmed from if this is the route. I would like to see it at All In personally although is it tough to do this kind of match in a stadium?

On 2/12/2024 at 9:19 AM, air_raid said:

I'd imagine long term fans probably want to watch what could very well be the last ever match between Tanahashi and Okada too. As a bare minimum, their last singles match both as New Japan regulars.

It was indeed very lovely. The last 15 minutes of one of their 30 minute classics from the mid-10's. Alright a bit slower, but still great. Although I've found it a little odd that Okada's last singles match was in the mid-card of Osprey's big farewell (more on him in a minute) and his actual last match is a ten man tag on 2nd(!) in Hokkaido. If you weren't aware of who the generational star was you might be confused.

ZSJ vs Dragon was excellent as mentioned, although I feel they have quite a bit more in the tank (2/3 falls as suggested)

Wargames was genuinely the most dangerous match I think I've seen since the TLC days. How nobody fell between the wooden planks and broke a leg is beyond me. That being said it was a proper Wargames. Violent, bloody, personal, each guy got a chance to shine, especially Francisco Akira who I had absolutely no interest in before looked like a star. Royal Rumble take note, that's how you use 60 minutes of ring time.

And finally, unpopular opinion alert - William Ospreay you're a class act. No one was better in the ring 2023 and it wasn't even close. But the genuine love and gratitude he has for NJPW and its fans, and they have for him, really got me emotional. I admit my own connection to the country and my love of NJPW biases this, but when he was talking of anxiety issues and the struggle of living in zombie Japan for 3 years during Covid-19 it got me. Standing at the entrance way on his way to the back after the main event, it was like he could barely turn himself around and have it all end. He could do with toning down the "bruv" stuff but maybe, just maybe, the silly boy has become a man.