NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

He was feeling numbness in his arms about what, 2 years ago? Whilst in his early 20s.

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but he cut a promo a couple years back in rev pro saying his back and neck were fucked. Can’t remember if he mentioned numbness in his arms, but he said he was gonna take a lot of time off the next year to recover. And he didn’t. And he carried on doing all the crazy stuff he does now. Will has always come across as a bit thick, so I don’t know what will need to happen to him for it to finally click in his brain to make him stop. Because I don’t think this latest incident will. 

Quick thoughts on Sakura Genesis:

Young Bucks opener was alright, was more of a storyline advancement than anything which I've no issue with. Good rebound after the Golden Lovers loss. Fine. 

Ishii/Yano vs Taichi/Iizuka was crap, I seem to mention it every time with him but Ishii deserves so much more than this. The prospect of Taichi being pretty certain for the G1 as commentary mentioned is interesting. Enjoyed the NEVER Six-Man match, Fale is of my boys so I'm always happy to see him looking good. Wonder if he's one of the guys making their UK debut on the SSE shows, has he been over here beforehand? 

Tana/Juice/Finlay vs CHAOS was really enjoyable. I love how much of a reaction Tanahashi gets and the crowd are going to be molten during his match with Okada. Solid builds for Switchblade/Finlay and Juice/Goto as well. A match that wasn't special but ticked all of the boxes. Suzuki-Gun vs LIJ was better than I expected it to be, Naito vs Suzuki both trying to out-dickhead one another has been interesting. In an ideal world, Naito beats Suzuki and then gets his win over Sabre back, preferably at one of the SSE shows in the UK. Wasn't huge on the Jr Tag Championships match really, it just felt like it was there and I struggled to have much of an investment in it. Desperado/Kanemarua defending again against BUSHI/Hiromu doesn't do much for me sadly. 

Ospreay/Scurll was great, but two major flaws with it for me stopped me going above **** 1/2. I didn't like the aforementioned Spanish Fly spot, it took me completely out of the match because I was more concerned that Ospreay had managed to break his neck. He's so ludicrously talented that it's a shame he feels he needs to try and kill himself to have a great match because he absolutely doesn't. Some of my favourite Ospreay matches have been where he's performing as a heel and thus reigns in his crazy moveset, he very much isn't a worker who completely relies on flipping around to get over, so it's irritating to see stuff like this, even moreso when his previous record of injuries is very well publicised. I also wasn't huge on how Ospreay was taking a barrage of punishment before the finish, and just sort of recovered instantly and won out of nowhere. Still a terrific match though. Very comfortably the best Scurll has looked in ages.

Really impressed by the Lovers vs Page/Cody. For a team so painfully average as Cody and Hangman, this was pretty good. Another example of great storytelling from Ibushi/Omega and they've managed to get me a lot more interested into the two upcoming ROH singles matches. Is this the first time NJPW have done a match specifically to build up an ROH match? Can't recall another instance. 

I loved Okada/ZSJ. The booking and the way they've presented Sabre is so simplistic yet effective, and the callback to Nakamura tapping out Okada with the same move was a fantastic aspect to include into the video package. They've built Zack up as a big threat and even though Okada retaining was 99% going to happen, I was still biting on some of the submission attempts during the finishing stretch. Probably my favourite Okada title defence since his match with EVIL. 

Greatly excited by the Dontaku cards. Feels a bit odd not seeing Tanahashi avenging his defeats to Suzuki/Sabre but perhaps we'll see that at Dominion after Okada beats him here. You've got some really interesting options for Dominion, at the minute I could see them rocking with Okada/Naito, Tanahashi/Suzuki and Lovers vs EVIL/SANADA? 

Edited by AdamTH17

It's not just Ospreay that's the problem though - his hardcore fans seem to be the 'Man, you're awesome! Thanks for nearly killing yourself for giving us such a great match' types and with Will's recent tweet saying that he could really do without people saying 'I told you so' and 'this is why...' [in regards to the incident] it seems he is too pig headed to tone things down.

I don't wish anyone to be injured, but if Will is taking an arrogant 'I know better' attitude I hope he is given a wake up call soon for his own long term health if nothing else.

8 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

It's not just limited to Osprey. I wince every time Naito bumps off the Rainmaker.

Looks like the MK show damn near sold out in two hours.

That's a belting schedule for the next month. Coloured me excited for Suzuki Naito.

Wow. Must admit to being fairly stunned getting on the presale link bang on 9am last Thursday, going for a seat in the tiered section and still getting third row back!

Seems to be a bit of moaning on Twitter that there’s “only” 14 Japanese NJPW wrestlers over for the weekend, which seems pretty mental.  It’s not like RevPro haven’t been bringing a few New Japan guys over on a semi regular basis for the last few years anyway, and I’ve no reason to believe this won’t be as “authentic” an experience as previous NOAH and Dragon Gate shows over here.

I dunno, I think I get it on some level. I know they want to hold the card back until they can announce the matches (I imagine, anyway) but the fact that Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi were confirmed as not being there just a short time after the presale had sold out was a bit iffy for me. You call your show 'Strong Style Evolved' and put the tickets on sale a week after the event of the same name in the US which had exactly those two guys in the main event... like I say, i understand it.

That said, I have every confidence in the people who are putting these shows on that they'll be every bit as good as the Pro Wrestling NOAH/Dragon Gate UK. At the end of the day, it's about managing expectation also - people going in with realistic expectations should have no reason to be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I dunno, I think I get it on some level. I know they want to hold the card back until they can announce the matches (I imagine, anyway) but the fact that Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi were confirmed as not being there just a short time after the presale had sold out was a bit iffy for me. You call your show 'Strong Style Evolved' and put the tickets on sale a week after the event of the same name in the US which had exactly those two guys in the main event... like I say, i understand it.

That said, I have every confidence in the people who are putting these shows on that they'll be every bit as good as the Pro Wrestling NOAH/Dragon Gate UK. At the end of the day, it's about managing expectation also - people going in with realistic expectations should have no reason to be disappointed.

Yeah, I think the concern coming from most people is that rather than an authentic New Japan experience, it's going to end up being more of a "Rev Pro presents New Japan!" but because they've gone and booked a venue that seats around 2400 if I recall correctly, I'm fairly convinced they've got something planned which will get them a sell-out. Those 14 Japanese wrestlers mentioned earlier doesn't include the gaijins that work there either, so you could take those 14 and add the likes of Switchblade, Juice, Elgin etc to pad it all out.

• Paid Members

@AdamTH17 Fale has been here before, in 2014: https://shoprevpro.com/collections/dvds/products/summer-sizzler-2014

EDIT: That card was mad -

Summer Sizzler 2014
15/06/14
York Hall, Bethnal Green

International Dream Match
Prince Devitt vs Adam Cole

Tag Team Challenge Match
2 Unlimited (Jay & Patrick Sammon) vs Will Ospreay & Jake McCluskey 

International Dream Match
Shinsuke Nakamura vs Zack Sabre Jr.

Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship Match
'Party' Marty Scurll © vs 'Mr Wrestling' Kevin Steen

International Challenge Match
Bad Luck Fale vs Dave Mastiff

Undisputed British Tag Team Championships 
England's Calling (Joel Redman & Martin Stone) vs The Kartel (Sha Samuels & Terry Frazier) ©

Edited by gadge
Added info

There’s been loads of shows this year on nj world without omega for one. An “authentic” new japan card more likely has David Finlay and chase Owens on it than omega going by Their regular product 

• Paid Members

I think Don Callis is really great on commentary. I noticed it catching up on the Omega vs. Okada matches, but again in the (awesome) Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll match from last week. Whenever he screams, "oh my GOD!" he sounds completely authentic. It's the antithesis of Michael Cole, who seems incapable of ever sounding sincere. It probably helps, of course, that the New Japan Guys are normally smashing the shit out of each other for real, but even then, let's not forget how wooden and fake Michael Cole sounded when Shane McMahon jumped off the Cell, taking legitimately one of the biggest bumps of all time.

Yea, he’s great,

Kevin Kelly and him work so well together, when Cody turned on Kenny, Don’s reaction was great calling Cody a prick.

Great little back and forth between the pair at Sakura Genesis after Naito went flying into their announce table.

Don: “There goes my Grey Goose”

Kelly: “You mean water right” 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Loved Don Callis on commentary ever since the ECW days as Cyrus. Was so happy when I started watching NJPW more frequently, signing up for World and that and hearing him on colour. Both him and Kelly add a lot to an already great product, because they actually seem to be enjoying themselves.

Over in McMahon Land, the only one that seems to really enjoy his work is Graves. The rest are more wooden than my dick in the morning.

17 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Really sorry if this is covered earlier on.

Is it easy enough to unsubscribe to NJPW World (as easy as it is the WWE network) and resign up as and when you please?

I havent ever unsunscribed since I got NJPW world but I cant see why it would be any different to any other subscription service which allows you to subscribe and unsubscribe without limits.

The only difference from reading on here is that once you cancel NJPW World you lose access immediately unlike the WWE network which let's you see out the month

Also Payment is taken on the 3rd I think it is regardless of when you signed up so if you sign up on say the 30th you will be charged then and again on the 3rd of the following month.