The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Love Necromunda - played that with some Warhammer super-fan friends who'd spent ages painting the figures and sets. Played as Palanite enforcers trying to escape the worst parts of the underground.

Had a look at reviews for the new Dune: Adventures In The Imperium game - it looks good. I'm definitely interested in playing it at some point, but think I'll wait for the price to come down first. Still very expensive.

• Paid Members

I dabbled in Necromunda. Had a couple of gangs, was a perennial loser. Had a Dwarf Blood Bowl team, but one of the players failed the roll to run an extra square and died. My 40k armies kept getting jobbed out. I was alright at Warhammer Quest, though. 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

@Chest Rockwelldo you do silly DM voices?

Uhhh.. I'm trying to get a bit more lively in it role-playing of the NPCs. It's something on my list tbh and this week I'll be making a conscious effort to do more silly voices. I'll let you know how it goes! Given that we're playing online I think I really need to step up in the voices. Going to try playing with webcams on this week though which will be a first.

I finished my third evening playing my first legacy game, The King's Dilemma, and it's awesome, would highly recommend it to anybody that has the ability to have the same group of five playing consistently (once a week is working fine for us).

The game is set in a medieval kingdom where the group plays as the King's council and basically gets given problems to resolve, and different aspects of the kingdom and the future storylines fluctuate based on your decisions. But additionally, each player is head of their own family house, each with their own backstory, philosophies and agendas, which all clash with each other and often clash with what's best for the kingdom. You win a single game based on how well you meet your house's agenda (which differs in every game) which means that every dilemma that comes up, everybody is cutting promos and trying to argue, negotiate and bribe each other to get things their way. As a result, you end up with awesome debates with people trying to justify some awful things happening to the kingdom because you want to score points and convince others to see it your way. The key is that the storylines that run through multiple games are really good and have great twists and turns, so every dilemma you face you have to consider the long-term possible impacts, but you have to weigh it up against how badly you need things to go your way in the short-term. 

Anyway, it's brilliantly fun and addictive as hell.

10 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I finished my third evening playing my first legacy game, The King's Dilemma, and it's awesome, would highly recommend it to anybody that has the ability to have the same group of five playing consistently (once a week is working fine for us).

The game is set in a medieval kingdom where the group plays as the King's council and basically gets given problems to resolve, and different aspects of the kingdom and the future storylines fluctuate based on your decisions. But additionally, each player is head of their own family house, each with their own backstory, philosophies and agendas, which all clash with each other and often clash with what's best for the kingdom. You win a single game based on how well you meet your house's agenda (which differs in every game) which means that every dilemma that comes up, everybody is cutting promos and trying to argue, negotiate and bribe each other to get things their way. As a result, you end up with awesome debates with people trying to justify some awful things happening to the kingdom because you want to score points and convince others to see it your way. The key is that the storylines that run through multiple games are really good and have great twists and turns, so every dilemma you face you have to consider the long-term possible impacts, but you have to weigh it up against how badly you need things to go your way in the short-term. 

Anyway, it's brilliantly fun and addictive as hell.

I really want Kings Dilemma but seeing as my gaming group consists of me, my 8 year old daughter and my disinterested wife it remains a pipe dream.

Conversely, we had our first play of Kim Joy's Magic Bakery tonight. It's a co-op drafting and order fulfillment card game. It's not particularly crunchy, but if you have a young daughter and a disinterested wife it's a breezy, good looking way to kill an hour and with 10 different scenarios with different game mechanics it should stick around for a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Really want this game, mainly for the theming as I’m a Pan Am fan too.  My dad worked for them in the 70’s and My room was full of the merch they produced like model lanes, trucks etc.  if it had a solo mode, it would tip the scale,

• 4 weeks later...