The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Carcassonne is so peaceful. Very therapeutic. 

Really? You're playing a very different game than we do, which is mostly occupied with aggressively trying to steal each other's cities.

Introduced my daughter to it though and she really likes it and managed to grasp the basic rules quicker than I thought. She's only 3 so she doesn't have the attention span to play a whole game but she's excited by the fact that she can play a grown up game. (Haven't started trying to steal her cities yet of course, I'm not a monster).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

The basic city building is great fun for the young ’uns.  Can get nasty with stealing cities though!

Just won a copy of Dice hospital.  Buzzing!!! Not won anything for years!!!

@Onyx2 did you get them from the Boardgame rental place you use?

Edited by Thunderplex

11 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Got a copy of My City on the way, and 7 Wonders Duel which might be the best two player game I've played in years. 

I really want My City but I'm conscious of how many tile laying games I already own and seeing as how I play mostly with my wife and daughter, I can already feel the force of all the rolling eyes.

I'll second the love for Pokémon Battle Academy. My little girl loves Pokémon and had been wanting to collect the cards for ages, but I didn't have the stomach to see her get ripped off on the Primary School Yard Pokémon black market, so I said no. Battle Academy lets her both have the cards and a new game so everyone wins. I'm restricting the extra purchases to theme decks though and we're still not trading. 

We got Zombie Kidz Evolution a few weeks ago and it might be the best value for money we've gotten out of a game. Out of the box it's a pretty basic co-op zone defence game. A lot of the fun comes from the legacy/ rewards system, which isn't hugely prevelant in kids/family games and goes a long way in terms of adding depth/content. There's also a sequel called Zombie Teens Evolution that we're flirting with if the little one has the patience to complete this campaign. It's hardly Gloomhaven, but it's probably as close as I'll get in my house!

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

The basic city building is great fun for the young ’uns.  Can get nasty with stealing cities though!

Just won a copy of Dice hospital.  Buzzing!!! Not won anything for years!!!

@Onyx2 did you get them from the Boardgame rental place you use?

Dice Hospital is one of our favourites. We put the Theme Hospital and Two Point Hospital soundtracks on in the background while we play because we're a cool pair of cucumbers.

• Paid Members

@FelatioLipsLove the Freddy in Two Points Hospital, cracks me up every time!

@Onyx2it’s a FB group called Board Game Raffle UK.  Tickets are normally 2 to 3 quid each and limited to 1 or 2 per person depending on the prizes.  Proceeds go on the games and the remaining to charity.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Has anyone here played the Resident Evil 2 board game? My wife loves Resident Evil and speedruns the 2 remake. It was £90 on release but has settled down to around £50 plus has a bunch of expansions. It’s her birthday soon but as much as she’d love the idea of it, I don’t want to buy it if it’s a dud.

• Paid Members
On 2/28/2021 at 8:28 PM, FelatioLips said:

Has anyone here played the Resident Evil 2 board game? My wife loves Resident Evil and speedruns the 2 remake. It was £90 on release but has settled down to around £50 plus has a bunch of expansions. It’s her birthday soon but as much as she’d love the idea of it, I don’t want to buy it if it’s a dud.

I asked a guy I know who owns it.  He highly recommends it if you can get it for a good price.  He says that the game gets very tense just like the source material in places.  Set ups a bit of a chore, but the game itself plays very smoothly.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Thunderplex said:

I asked a guy I know who owns it.  He highly recommends it if you can get it for a good price.  He says that the game gets very tense just like the source material in places.  Set ups a bit of a chore, but the game itself plays very smoothly.

Brilliant, thanks Thunder!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone played World Wide Wrestling? It's a pen & paper RPG and I'm tempted to start up a game with my Discord group, the main DM is a little burnt out with big D&D and Warhammer 40K: Wrath & Glory campaigns he's put on so was thinking of stepping up.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Has anyone played World Wide Wrestling? It's a pen & paper RPG and I'm tempted to start up a game with my Discord group, the main DM is a little burnt out with big D&D and Warhammer 40K: Wrath & Glory campaigns he's put on so was thinking of stepping up.

No, didn’t know it existed!  Will Google later!

• Paid Members

This looks like it could be interesting.

. https://www.dicebreaker.com/amp/games/scott-pilgrim-miniatures-the-world/news/scott-pilgrim-the-miniatures-the-world-release-date

That World Wide Wrestling RPG sounds intriguing as well. 

https://youtu.be/qK2rD6txtXE

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Does anyone know if there is a decent jigsaw puzzle rental service out there?

I used to think having to rewind video tapes people returned was a pain in the arse. Imagine being the poor sod who has to count the jigsaw pieces?