The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I saw Cluedo at our local B&M, and it seems they've replaced Mrs White with a Chinese /Japanese character called Dr Orchid (a pink piece) and now can't decide whether it's a racial thing or an ageist thing? 

10 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I saw Cluedo at our local B&M, and it seems they've replaced Mrs White with a Chinese /Japanese character called Dr Orchid (a pink piece) and now can't decide whether it's a racial thing or an ageist thing? 

All the same to you aren't they Jazzers?

Mrs White was a busy body nosy bastard.

Dr Orchid has a PhD in Plant Toxicology, and a cool haircut.

No contest. Also this was changed well over 5 years ago, I think? 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

She's drawn so generically I couldn't tell what nationality she is. She could be from Korea for all I know. I just couldn't think of how to describe her at the time without going to the "oriental" well. East Asian? Yeah, that would have worked better. 

Shows how far out of the loop I am. The box said "new suspect" on the front which is why I thought this was a more recent development. They've got a "liar's edition" as well? Remember that huge version where they had extra characters? The game show was an odd one as well. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Is oriental not ok to say? I didn't know that.

It's OK here. It's the Yanks who get a bit wanky about it.

Just lost to my seven your old in our first game of My Little Scythe. Legit lost as well, no lying down for the young 'uns in this house. I'm quite proud because I thought she'd struggle to keep track of what was going on. It's the first Stonemaier game we've got and it's a beautifully produced game. As far as mechanisms go it's certainly at the top end of what we'd be comfortable with for primary age kids and my wife looks genuinely boggled by it but it's basically a perfect gateway game.

I'm also gonna order Fairy Tale Inn which looks like a hobbyists take on connect 4.

The Dr Orchid thing isn't about racism or ageism, Hasbro themselves said it's about feminism. It was felt that Mrs White being a housekeeper was archaic and that Cluedo needed a female character that was an independent professional in her own right and not subservient or defined by her marital status. I didn't realise she was in 'Big' Cluedo, I thought she was just in Junior.

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wasn’t it a pejorative after Vietnam? Became a catch all for all East Asians or something like that?

The main thing I've heard from Americans is that they use "Oriental" to describe things, not people - Oriental rugs, vases, etc. I did ask several friends here what they thought, and they seemed amused by the notion, although I acknowledge, as always, that anecdotal evidence isn't really a clincher - I just haven't seen anything published that says anything in either direction in the UK.

That said, just on the basis of linguistic nuance, I do recall that using the adjective "Oriental" should be OK, but as a noun, it takes on the rather racist and imperialist tone of a lot of European and Anglosphere texts. Sentences like "He was an Oriental" definitely have an unpleasant undertone to them.

BTW, on a gaming note, but also in a "Things that remind you of the UKFF" vein, I've just started playing another Warhammer Fantasy RPG campaign with some good friends. One of them is playing as a Dwarf gunsmith called Sven Gunsson, heir to a well-known dwarven weaponer heritage. 

When he had to introduce himself to an NPC, he said "I'm Sven Gunsson of 'Gunssons For Guns'", to which our GM replied "GUNSSONS FOR GUNS? THE GUN SHOP? I think you have the wrong place."

(I talk too much about what happens on here.)

Sorry about the obscure question but this is the best place to ask here.

I saw a documentary about Lord Lucan a year or so ago. His favourite card game was one with (I think) a French name  bit one where the dealer would serve the player each card on a long handled wooden device. 

I googled it at the time but have forgotten the name.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance